Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:03 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,571,500 times

Advertisements

A crazed stalker who served 10 years for breaking into pop singer Madonna's Hollywood Hills home has escaped from a Los Angeles-area mental hospital, police officials say.

Read more: Madonna's crazed stalker escapes from Calif. mental hospital
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 10:01 AM

5,573 posts, read 6,497,373 times
"Hoskins, who was convicted in 1996 for stalking the singer, allegedly left the Metropolitan State Hospital in Norwalk last week".

How does a convicted felon confined to a mental hospital just leave a mental hospital? Where was security staff? Where were the alarms, the cameras, the hospital staff that would recognize this man walking freely? This is exactly why I quit watching America's Most Wanted. When I started to laugh at LE when the criminal escaped from police custody because they weren't handcuffed tightly enough they got the cuffs off and fled the police car, or even WITH the police car, or when they weren't monitored closely enough they jumped out a window at court, or slipped by the officer assigned to monitor them when they were in the hospital ER or admitted to a room, it was time for me to turn it off. Are the laws so against those that are hired to protect us that those people are afraid to do their job, which is to keep the criminal in custody? Have the standards of hiring those who are there to protect us been so lowered that just anyone can become a LE officer? All I know is I no longer feel safe in life, there are more paroled and probated felons and mentally unstable people walking among us than are locked up, and I don't respect the CJ members or the CJ system that is in place "for the people". It has become a system "for the criminal".

This escape just "escapes" me, pun intended.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:49 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times
He was found and arrested in Long Beach on Friday the 10th.

"At this point they are returning him to the facility, and I believe that will be determined by the detectives who will investigate -- number one, his ability to walk away from the facility and, number two, if he violated anything from that point on," Fierro said.

The facility he was in is not secured, and it was unclear Friday whether Hoskins escaped or walked out on his own, investigators told CNN.

Madonna stalker caught after escaping from mental hospital - CNN.com

Old 02-12-2012, 11:30 AM

5,573 posts, read 6,497,373 times
Highlights from the news release:

"Los Angeles (CNN) -- A man convicted of stalking singer Madonna, and who once threatened to knife her, was arrested Friday, a week after he escaped from a Southern California mental hospital, police said.

Robert Dewey Hoskins, 54, had walked away from Metropolitan State Hospital in the Los Angeles suburb of Norwalk on February 3, police said.

He had served a 10-year prison sentence for stalking the "Material Girl,"police said, and a court order requires him to be in a facility receiving mental health treatment until the end of August 2012.

The facility he was in is not secured, and it was unclear Friday whether Hoskins escaped or walked out on his own, investigators told CNN.

He was receiving treatment to get acclimated to society again and was supervised by a civilian staff and not officers, detectives said.

Because of the court order, Hoskins was deemed an "escapee," detectives said.

Prior to his arrest Friday, Los Angeles police issued a warning to the public saying Hoskins "is highly psychotic when not taking his medication and has very violent tendencies."

He stalked Madonna all over California in the early 1990s, CNN affiliate KCAL reported. He threatened to cut her from "ear to ear" if she did not marry him, the affiliate reported.

Wow. What contradictory rules we have in the CJ world. He is court ordered to a mental hospital, but it is not a secure one and has civilian staff, not LE staff. He is on meds and is very violent when not taking them, but is allowed to walk out of a non-secure facility. We all should be afraid, VERY AFRAID, of those around us, and the so-called Criminal Justice (note it is named the criminal's justice, not society's) system in this country.

I stand by my comments in my earlier post.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:44 AM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
He'd have to be crazed to stalk Madonna. That is one scary looking woman. I'd be more afraid of Madonna stalking ME!

Old 02-16-2012, 10:33 AM

I posted this in the celebrities thread too. Shame on me.

For your entertainment Sheena.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 12:13 PM..

Old 02-16-2012, 12:34 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,507,052 times
Aren't all stalkers crazed?

Old 02-16-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Aren't all stalkers crazed?
Obssessive and delusional would be better words.

Mark Chapman who killed John Lennon is a good example.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:56 PM

"The Gift of Fear" written by Gavin De Becker.

He profiles stalkers for abused men/women and celebrities.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:09 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,752,114 times
Why in the name of little green apples would they put a guy with a homicide plan and a named target in an unsecured facility?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime