Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:56 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times

Advertisements

Unbelievable !

Bus Driver Who Deliberately Hit Cyclist Sent to Prison | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 02:08 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
WOW! He only got 17 months and "disqualified from driving for two-and-a-half years?" Personally, he should have had a harsher sentence for aggravated assault and barred from ever operating a bus again. The judge in this case was way too lenient, in my opinion.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:25 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
In a way, I can understand the bus driver being annoyed.

We live in a rural farming area. 10 miles of two lane dirt road before we get to civilization. Bicyclists are frequently out here in droves but that's not the problem. What drives us all to distraction is that they think they own the road, plus they're very rude. They refuse to ride facing traffic, take up the entire road and usually don't pull over to allow trucks or farm equipment to pass.

A couple of times they came out here as ranchers were moving cattle to different fields and then had the audacity to complain about it interrupting their ride.

Kinda makes ya wanna run over them with a combine. But we don't.

Like I said, I understand the annoyance factor but to act on it in such a violent fashion, no. I agree, he got off way to easy.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:36 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post

We live in a rural farming area. 10 miles of two lane dirt road before we get to civilization. Bicyclists are frequently out here in droves but that's not the problem. What drives us all to distraction is that they think they own the road, plus they're very rude. They refuse to ride facing traffic, take up the entire road and usually don't pull over to allow trucks or farm equipment to pass.

A couple of times they came out here as ranchers were moving cattle to different fields and then had the audacity to complain about it interrupting their ride.

Like I said, I understand the annoyance factor but to act on it in such a violent fashion, no. I agree, he got off way to easy.
They have all the rights and rules of motor vehicles. Cyclists aren't supposed to "face traffic" they will get a ticket if they do. If it is not safe to be on the shoulder of the road, by will of the law, take the center of the road. Being rude doesn't make one illegal just stupid in many cases because of safety. I know plenty of truckers and farmers(including myself) that don't pull over for every CAR locked on to their rear because they would never get where they were going if they did.

The guy got off way too easy.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:28 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They have all the rights and rules of motor vehicles. Cyclists aren't supposed to "face traffic" they will get a ticket if they do. If it is not safe to be on the shoulder of the road, by will of the law, take the center of the road. Being rude doesn't make one illegal just stupid in many cases because of safety. I know plenty of truckers and farmers(including myself) that don't pull over for every CAR locked on to their rear because they would never get where they were going if they did.

It is little understood that ALL cyclist share the SAME rules and rights of the road as all motor vehicles. Most drivers think cyclist are adult children playing in the road which is why they disrespect and endanger cyclist when the come upon them

Now to be fair all cyclist need to start respecting the same rules of the road as car and not behave like a pack of jack asses when they ride. Cops giving out more tickets to mis-behaving cyclist would help a bunch!

Old 02-17-2012, 05:56 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:

I'll never forget the time I was driving from SD to Illinois and got in the way of an 18 wheeler semi on a sloping highway...he got so upset and threatened to push my car off the road until he saw who was driving, a very scared idiot who didn't know any better.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

I realize cyclists have rights.

I'm not talking about groups of 2-3, i'm talking about 50-60 of them taking up both sides of the road and doing a whopping 10mph.

Try to be nice, ask them to please move to one lane and all we get is a lot of lip about how they have the right to use the road as well. Yes, they do but they don't have the right to impede people who are doing their jobs and cause hazardous conditions.

Next time, we'll just call the sheriff and he can deal with them.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I'll never forget the time I was driving from SD to Illinois and got in the way of an 18 wheeler semi on a sloping highway...he got so upset and threatened to push my car off the road until he saw who was driving, a very scared idiot who didn't know any better.
Been there a few times myself.

I don't care how big my truck is, 18 wheelers still unnerve me.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:40 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
As my dad put it -"there's right, and there's dead". Just because you have the right to do something doesn't always mean it's the smartest thing to do, something that cyclist nearly discovered for himself.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:51 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
I realize cyclists have rights.

I'm not talking about groups of 2-3, i'm talking about 50-60 of them taking up both sides of the road and doing a whopping 10mph.

Try to be nice, ask them to please move to one lane and all we get is a lot of lip about how they have the right to use the road as well. Yes, they do but they don't have the right to impede people who are doing their jobs and cause hazardous conditions.

Next time, we'll just call the sheriff and he can deal with them.
That is the smart and only legal thing we can do. I hate moron riders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
As my dad put it -"there's right, and there's dead". Just because you have the right to do something doesn't always mean it's the smartest thing to do, something that cyclist nearly discovered for himself.
I try to remember that every time someone with car or truck whips in front of my 75+ foot long rig. A 1 ton truck looks pretty small in front of my rig with the tires hopping to get stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime