U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 03:06 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,468,866 times

Advertisements

This topic is primarily comprised of some pretty horrific crimes and certainly some interesting and controversial opinions of those horrific crimes. I am not negating any of them, by any means. I am just wondering if we can have a little light-hearted conversations about what we might think would be appropriate punishment[s] for some of these laws, i.e., when someone breaks one of these laws, what should be done to them? Considering, unfortunately, some of the punishments of serious crimes, and our thoughts about what really should have been a punishment....let's chat about appropriate sentencing / fines and/or other means of prosecution for:

Connecticut:
You can be stopped by the police for biking over 65 miles per hour.
In order for a pickle to officially be considered a pickle, it must bounce. [gotta love this one, Vlasic]

Devon
: It is unlawful to walk backwards after sunset.

Hartford:
You arenít allowed to cross a street while walking on your hands.
You may not educate dogs.
It is illegal for a man to kiss his wife on Sunday.

Waterbury:
It is illegal for any beautician to hum, whistle, or sing while working on a customer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 03:07 PM

CORRECTION!!!!!!
I meant to say in my first line above, this Thread [True Crime]... sorry for the error.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:40 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,631,849 times
I think the most serious of these would be biking @ 65 mph, heck in a lot of states you can get a DUI on a bike- maybe half the fine of a car speeding ticket.

Gotta love the pickle one...is the law specific as to what it must bounce off of? You could bring one of those mini trampolines to court and make just about anything bounce off of it.

The beautician one is kind of tricky, one would think that the 1st amendment freedom of speech would apply, but is speech defined in any statute or the amendment itself?

Educating dogs, lol. I guess if the prosecution enters into evidence a photo of you at a chalkboard displaying math equations with dogs at desks with pencils and notebooks, that's it, no mercy....30 days.

The rest of them, notice to appear...$25 fine, the law is the law after all.

On a sidenote, I recall several years ago a guy here in FL received a very light sentence on a rather serious crime. His probation officer was looking for anything to violate him on. There was some late 1800's era law that said it was illegal for a couple to live together unmarried, he was indeed violated and arrested but I don't recall the outcome.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:51 AM

Your response[s] are great! and clever!

Very good point re: the pickle! I bet there could even be some worthy appeals based on...

Have a great day!

Old 03-17-2012, 12:10 PM

15,371 posts, read 34,704,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post

Educating dogs, lol. I guess if the prosecution enters into evidence a photo of you at a chalkboard displaying math equations with dogs at desks with pencils and notebooks, that's it, no mercy....30 days.
BUT if you cant educate dawgs, where do you get future lawmakers from?

Old 03-17-2012, 12:13 PM

BUT if you cant educate dawgs, where do you get future lawmakers from?

Hmmm, good question!

Old 03-19-2012, 01:22 PM

9,917 posts, read 9,320,451 times
I like to read old laws ... it sorta of shows elected politicians have never changed over all the years!

In South Carolina some of my favorites:

When approaching a four way or blind intersection in a non-horse driven vehicle you must stop 100 ft from the intersection and discharge a firearm into the air to warn horse traffic.

By law, if a man promises to marry an unmarried woman, the marriage must take place.

It is perfectly legal to beat your wife on the court house steps on Sundays.

Every adult male must bring a rifle to church on Sunday in order to ward off Indian attacks.

I don't know why the old 1800 laws cannot be removed from the records ... I guess they come in handy when an aggressive prosecutor is looking for charges for a criminal. LOL Ahhhh we can get him for: Eating watermelons in the Magnolia Street cemetery is forbidden. (Spartanburg County)

Old 03-19-2012, 05:14 PM

Love it CarolinaWoman - a few interesting ones in Vermont:
1. At one time it was illegal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole.
2. Women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.
3. [In Barre]: All residents shall bathe every Saturday night.

Utah:
1. It is against the law to fish from horseback.
2. It is illegal not to drink milk. [too bad the 'got milk' commercial did not know this law]
3. Birds have the right of way on all highways.
4. It is a felony to persistently tread on the cracks between paving stones on the sidewalk of a state highway.

And for anyone interested in reading about the crazy laws in their respective states:
Dumb Laws, Stupid Laws: We have weird laws, strange laws, and just plain crazy laws!

Old 03-20-2012, 08:32 AM

9,917 posts, read 9,320,451 times
Sugarmaple, you will notice in the old laws so many relate to female obedience and punishiment. Of course back then it was all males making and enforcing the laws. LOL

Old 03-20-2012, 08:47 AM

Carolinawoman, at the risk [big risk] of really getting into a political debate[which would have then necessitated a moderator moving the thread entirely , I did not include other crazy/old/laws which really promote the obedience and punishments that were mandated on women.

One, I fell across... a man will be fined x number of dollars for hitting his wife; his wife, however, shall be punished with prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime