Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 06:54 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,011 times

Advertisements

Broderick was sick with rage. She screwed up. So she's paying for it.

Other wives have experienced much worse with their cheating husbands. Those women soldiered on and made the best of their lives - and are FREE to enjoy what they can in this world. Betty Broderick is NOT - and it's her own fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 07:51 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,574,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Interesting finds...let me know what books you're reading, I still like researching and reading the Broderick story.
"Until the Twelfth of Never-Should Betty Broderick ever be free".

Last edited by LingLing; 07-01-2013 at 08:22 AM..

Old 07-01-2013, 08:31 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
As I did more research, Dan gave Betty 9k per month, much less than the half she was entitled too. Among the 9k, Dan deducted $100 for each "offense" Betty committed against him and Linda. So in the end, she didn't get much. And yes, two well known lawyers (Dan and his lawyer) used legal system against a mentally unstable woman who is incapable of protecting herself. Betty tried to hire the best lawyer in San Diego to represent her but the lawyer declined and later became Dan's lawyer. Then, she tried to hire the best in LA but Dan refused to pay the retainer fee since he knew this lawyer would take him on. Plus her craziness, she couldn't find a lawyer so the court ordered divorce in the absence of her lawyer.

Dan and Linda were also cold and calculative. They put Linda's voice in the answering machine to antagonize Betty prior to the divorce. Dan used the recording to gain advantage in the divorce proceedings. Even the judge while in favor of him did order Linda's voice to be removed from the answer machine.

After they divorced, during one of his Europe trip with Linda, he left $50 per week for maid to feed their four children. The maid finally asked help from Betty.

At least two attorneys involved in the case commented that Dan had the death wish and he wanted to be killed by Betty.

It is WRONG for Betty to kill. All adults involved are cold and cruel and crazy. Real victims are the four kids. I still don't know I am sympathetic to Betty or not. I am still doing my research.
After the divorce, she was not entitled to anything. She got 50% in the divorce, per CA law.

And if you know anything about that case, it was NOT about the money. All the money in the world would NOT have made Betty happy. She wanted Dan, and her old life. If she couldn't have him, then nobody could. We see it all the time in men that kill their exes, and are disgusted by it. Why, when it is a woman that does the same, we rush to their defense?

The fact that she was antagonized by Linda's voice shows this to be the case. They had EVERY RIGHT to have Linda's voice on the machine. To demand that it be removed was more about power than anything else.

Betty had a million opportunities to end her behavior. Her children begged her to do that. But she couldn't.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:18 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times

Betty was a psychotic, bitter, controlling gold digger whose husband decided he'd had enough. He found a woman who treated him nicely. Where's the crime in that? Did that deserve death?

Give me a very large break.

Golddigger? She put him through school, then worked in the home while he pursued the career from which the entire family benefitted. Then he lied about having had an affair with a younger woman who, by the way may have treated her catch "nicely," but Betty? Not so much, according to reports. So who was the golddigger here? I'd wager it was the woman who was fired from her flight attendant job for sitting on a male passenger's lap--that seems to have been her MO.

Talking about "deserving death" is a red herring. No one deserves to die for being a @%$#* or a cheat. The issue is whether or not she was responsible for her actions. IMO, she's the one who'd had enough and finally broke. Why her attorney didn't plead temporary insanity is beyond me. And, without this case's notoriety, she'd be out by now, anyway.

Dan Broderick used his wife early in their marriage. Then he wanted to start over having power, status, and money...with someone else. Not exactly a new story.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:39 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times
I wonder if the rumors about his new wife were true. Seemed like all parties were messed up emotionally. Maybe the moral of the story is to stay single!

Old 07-01-2013, 12:20 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,574,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
I wonder if the rumors about his new wife were true. Seemed like all parties were messed up emotionally. Maybe the moral of the story is to stay single!
The story is in the book I mentioned earlier. It is a funny story. They also went into a bathroom together. She tried to explain that she was providing good customer service.

The moral of the story I think is to remain independent financially and emotionally no matter married or not.

Last edited by LingLing; 07-01-2013 at 12:46 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 09:13 PM

5,575 posts, read 6,500,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
Very sorry for my English. English is not my first language.

Last year, my friend suddenly suffered from a mental illness. She suddenly didn't recognize her husband and kids. Upon treatment, she recovered somewhat. After that, her wealthy husband filed for divorce. She got some money and moved into a small town home. She accepted and left quietly. She now works at a furniture store while her husband and his new girlfriend live in their big ocean front house. After that, she acts normal but I know she is suicidal. She had car accidents here there . She blamed on weather. But I know she wouldn't last much longer. She asks me to make decision for her life if she can't make decision. My heart broke for her. I wanted to go to talk to her ex but... The sad part is that her kids seem to feel ashamed to be associated with her. Sad...

Sometime, I have to wonder...
I feel so sad for your friend. Broken hearts, when the rejected person loses the will to live, is just so terribly sad..........

Old 07-02-2013, 11:01 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,963,472 times
Maybe by her next parole hearing in 2026 Betty will show a little bit of remorse ... she will be 78 years old. Unless she makes progress and can request a parole hearing in 2014.

As long as the 'voices' are still talking to her and she continues to justify what she did, she will never get out of prison. It's really sad, the children lost their father, mother and step-mother.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:06 AM

5 posts, read 28,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Betty was a psychotic, bitter, controlling gold digger whose husband decided he'd had enough. He found a woman who treated him nicely. Where's the crime in that? Did that deserve death?

Give me a very large break.

Golddigger? She put him through school, then worked in the home while he pursued the career from which the entire family benefitted. Then he lied about having had an affair with a younger woman who, by the way may have treated her catch "nicely," but Betty? Not so much, according to reports. So who was the golddigger here? I'd wager it was the woman who was fired from her flight attendant job for sitting on a male passenger's lap--that seems to have been her MO.

Talking about "deserving death" is a red herring. No one deserves to die for being a @%$#* or a cheat. The issue is whether or not she was responsible for her actions. IMO, she's the one who'd had enough and finally broke. Why her attorney didn't plead temporary insanity is beyond me. And, without this case's notoriety, she'd be out by now, anyway.

Dan Broderick used his wife early in their marriage. Then he wanted to start over having power, status, and money...with someone else. Not exactly a new story.
didnt u just love how Betty had to ride the city bus w/ 4 small children in tow to do the laundry whilst Dan had the car hobnobbing and partying with San Diego elite

Old 07-03-2013, 06:36 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,249,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I never thought that she was the "She Devil" that every one else did.

Right now I am watching "A Woman Scorned" on LMN, with my teem aged daughter.

Oprah had her fun with her in the late 80s. She is well hated by her children.

I think none of this needed to happen had she been not treated like junk and traded in for a newer, less well educated model.

Dan Broderick systematically destroyed his wile. Linda Kolkena was a gold digger. Nothing more.

So what do you think. Can someone be driven crazy? I think so.
I agree, sheena. I felt the same way you did about the Betty Broderick case.

I also felt the same about Debora Green, the doctor in Kansas (walking distance to their house from me by the way) who poisoned her husband with ricin and ended up setting the house on fire and killing two of her three kids. No, it does not make it okay to do what she did, but I think a person can be driven to the point of insanity. Dr. Green's husband was also a doctor and was having an affair. He had moved out and wanted a divorce. His girlfriend's husband committed suicide over it. Debora Green ended up killing her children. Again, not okay - but do we not care about the emotional trauma this kind of thing inflicts on the other people involved? And in the Ann Rule's book "Bitter Harvest," she makes the cheating husband and his mistress out to be angels. Really? The doctor and mistress are portrayed in the book having dinner in her house WITH HER CHILDREN not long after her husband committed suicide because of their affair. Did they once think about their spouses or their respective children when they decided to have an affair? Doesn't sound like it.

But anyway, back to Betty Broderick - yes, I can see how someone can be driven to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime