Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 09:12 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,445,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
And, I do not think the way the divorce, post-divorce was handled, and the new woman in his life was handled was stellar, at all.

Lots of warning signs were apparent - nothing was done to curb them or provide emotional support or therapy for Ms. Broderick nor did she choose that avenue either. Her kids were destroyed especially by being used as pawns.

From whats been written, She had been in therapy and stopped going after her husband admitted he was seeing Linda Kolena.

No court ordered evaluations or therapy, doesn't make sense at all.

Betty Broderick refused to sell the house. Leaving Dan Broderick no choice but to find loopholes in the law.

She went to the divorce settlement without legal representation. Fired her attorney and was a no show at the custody hearing.

I realize she had trouble finding an attorney to represent her bc of her husbands position in the legal field, she also made matters worse by repeatedly violating restraining orders. She acted crazy and you can't blame people for turning against her, she was one scary women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 04:44 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,091,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
well she got a raw deal maybe but she could have done the smart thing and got what she could out of him by playing her cards right. Instead she let hatred take over. There are many ways to skin a cat and she picked the wrong way. I know we can't judge someone unless we walk in their shoes but still, being in jail and being a murderer can't be anyone's goal in life...I always say no one is worth going to jail for and that's kept me from killing both my ex's...
You and be both, honey!

And people look at me like I am crazy when I answer the inevitable question..."Do you think you will ever marry again now that hubby has died?" and I instantaneously answer with a resounding "NO!!" I finally had a marriage that was "drama free" with no BS and there is no way I am going to try again. I am at peace being by myself.

As far as Betty Broderick is concerned, I remember having crazy thoughts going on inside my head but as Maggie said, "NO ONE is worth going to jail for". So as crazy as she probably was feeling/thinking, murder was not the solution.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:41 AM

759 posts, read 3,132,603 times
I read that book "Until the Twelth of Never" and it is very engrossing. The author provides the facts, but also has sympathy towards Betty.

I think she makes the case that what really drove Betty crazy was that Dan kept denying that he was having an affair and caled Betty crazy for thinking this. He denied it for at least a few years as well, so that Betty began to believe she was crazy. I can't believe the legal system allows a divorce court hearing/trial to be heard in the same county where a very powerful and popular attorney practices.

Also, she was one of the more fun mothers in the neighborhood, loved having a bunch of kids over, drove everyone everywhere, was involved in kids activities.

Also, Linda wasn't as "pure" as portrayed in the Lifetime movie. She had been fired from a flight attendant job for sexual shenanigans. Also, she rubbed it in Betty's face when she was living with Dan and would play tricks on her.

Betty made a lot of bad choices, but don't know if she has been diagnosed with a psych condition or not.

As I recall, the book states that she did have a hot younger lover who actually liked her, she took trips, and did still have good relationships with her children as long as she wasn't obsessing about Linda and Dan (which seemed to be all the time).

Anyway, there's blame to go around in this case, and a lot of "what if" possiblities. It's amazing this thread has so many replies, it's just a sad but fascinating in a sort of "train wreck" way.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:27 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,209,219 times
I think this case was very sensational, rich folks, white, and an issue that hits home for lots of women who have been replaced with young, new "trophy" wives by husbands.

I have no doubt Betty was Bi-Polar, with extreme mood swings, and she was probably not a treat to be married to....

Old 03-18-2012, 06:40 PM

23,875 posts, read 32,147,057 times
I never meant to excuse the inexcusable - the killing of two people.
However their are predatory woman out their that prey upon insecure, middle aged men, and in so doing, wreck lives.

My father was fooling around with his secretary from the moment that my mother was diagnosed with cancer and due to pain, was not able to have sexual relations.
In the case of my mom, she had not lost her looks or gained a lot of weight. She was ill.

This woman stole our lives from us, and put her family into positions at my dad's business.
I never thought that Kolkena was such an angel. I firmly believe that she would have given his kids the "heave ho" once she had her own.
And that he would have not said a word.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:31 PM

37,042 posts, read 41,972,100 times
Quote:
I think she makes the case that what really drove Betty crazy was that Dan kept denying that he was having an affair and caled Betty crazy for thinking this. He denied it for at least a few years as well, so that Betty began to believe she was crazy.
It's called "gaslighting". My ex did this to me when he started having an affair. I'm not saying he did it on purpose to make me crazy, or that he even knew he was doing it, but it happened. He didn't just lie about another woman, he lied about many many things that we so rediculous and it did drive me to therapy. I went from confused to stunned to frustrated to scared...I had no idea what the hell was going on.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:52 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,512,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Shes still in denial, in 20 years of incarceration hasn't progressed one iota.

I don't think shes dangerous to society (with an angle monitor), I could see her commiting suicide if she were released tho.
yes, and this is what the prison system produces. She probably has had zero psychological treatment. Pretty sad commentary on the US correctional facility system.

The death penalty and imprisonment is not a deterrent, but it keeps happening. No one learns.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
yes, and this is what the prison system produces. She probably has had zero psychological treatment. Pretty sad commentary on the US correctional facility system.

The death penalty and imprisonment is not a deterrent, but it keeps happening. No one learns.
It is. Most released after their sentence terminates return within 5 years.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:18 PM

88,019 posts, read 83,846,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
However their are predatory woman out their that prey upon insecure, middle aged men, and in so doing, wreck lives.

My father was fooling around with his secretary from the moment that my mother was diagnosed with cancer and due to pain, was not able to have sexual relations.
In the case of my mom, she had not lost her looks or gained a lot of weight. She was ill.

This woman stole our lives from us, and put her family into positions at my dad's business.
I never thought that Kolkena was such an angel. I firmly believe that she would have given his kids the "heave ho" once she had her own.
I agree with some of this, especially the bolded. I do not in any way find Broderick's actions excusable, but when this young woman stepped in between a husband and a wife, she took a hell of a risk and lost. And when homeboy decided he deserved a sweet young thang, he did the same. They both thought perhaps that Betty would quietly go away. Sometimes the first wife does. Not this time.

People need to think about consquences.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Sorry to hear about your personal story. (((Hugs)))

My sympathy goes to the Brodericks children during these 3-4 years. Then living with out any parents.

Had Betty waited until the dust settled and not dropped the ball on the important issues, such as the custody hearings, the divorce settlement and not invested all her energy in exhausting anger, I agree, Kolkena would have no interest in Dans children once she had her own, the situation would have turned around, kids notice.

Great thread for discussion.

EDIT: Does anyone know what happened to the Broderick children after their fathers death?

Last edited by virgode; 03-19-2012 at 04:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime