Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:29 PM

5,318 posts, read 8,487,881 times

Advertisements

Did anyone catch this episode of 48 Hours this weekend?

The Boy Next Door - 48 Hours - CBS News

As an avid true crime reader/watcher, I found myself quite disturbed by this episode/case.

I have always felt that single women should not live on ground floor apartments (due to the easy access they provide criminals), and knowing that a guy like this has been lurking out on the streets for 18 years further cemented that opinion.

What was even more disturbing was that this guy found a way to climb into a second floor window to attack one of his victims. If you watch the video above, go to 26:40 and it shows the window he went into. I can't tell exactly how far above the railing the window is - it may not actually be a full 2nd floor above.

In this case, the window was open. (That is another simple step that people can take to help decrease the odds of being a crime victim in their homes - keep windows shut and locked at night).

But in the case of the victim where he went through the window, much like the one where he attacked her in the ground floor apartment, he lived in very close proximity to these women and most likely observed them over an extended period of time before he attacked them.

That was the really disturbing thing about this guy, to me: that he was out there observing his prey, just waiting for the best chance to attack. In the case of all 4 of his victims profiled in this episode (3 murdered, one attempted murder- she fought him off), he spent time observing them prior to killing them. (The police imply that he likely has other victims beyond the ones shown in this episode.)

For some reason I find this more scary than someone like Ted Bundy who would randomly approach women on the street (even though that is horrible too). In the case of a man trying to get you to help him put his books in the car because his arm is in a sling, a woman can at least make the decision to not go anywhere near him.

But in the case where a woman is just living her life and is unaware that a man is living near her, observing her, and just planning to attack her in the middle of the night while she is asleep, THAT is even more scary.

You can read more about him here: Crime Library: Michael Gargiulo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 10:45 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,125,526 times
I didn't see the episode you speak of, but in reference to Bundy his phony cast and crutches were not his only evil tactics. When Bundy took to interstate flight and landed on the FBI's top 10 he changed his methods, he had to. The Chi-Omega murders were breaking and entering forcible felonies with the victims killed in their sleep.

I think it be prudent not just for women but anyone who choses to sleep with the windows open leave them just open enough to get some fresh air but not enough to allow a human body to get through. Of course they sell those stops/locks to attach to the frames to prevent further opening without making an noticeable racket....a deterrent as well as a time buyer for a 911 call. My g/f calls me paranoid sometimes but I keep a pair of high powered binoculars always on top of the fridge and if some unfamiliar car is "scoping" my home, they can bet they are being watched also.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,443,763 times
I just read the link at the bottom of the post. Disturbing. Gargiulos parents are partly to blame and have to take some responsibility for these deaths. Help could have been sought for him growing up when he started showing signs of violence.

His parents had told Diane Pacaccino they wanted to put him out but were afraid of him. After Gargiulo brutally murdered Pacaccino the parents packed up and left leaving him living in the house alone. Gargiula was 17 at the time.

To make matters worse, It took Chicago detectives 6yrs to locate Gargiulo in L.A. to get his DNA, he dodged them for weeks before murdering Ashly Ellerin. They had a match, then wouldn't arrest and charge him with murder for fear of losing the case bc Pacaccino had accepted a ride from Gargiulo a couple days prior to her murder.

Detectives in Chicago appeased the Pacaccino family bc it was there job.
They knew before getting his DNA, they weren't taking the case to trial.

So the story ended with 2 more deaths and an attempt at murder before justice was served.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:16 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,206,541 times
Creepy. Criminals are every where, we just need to be vigilant. I wonder if there are more criminals now, then there ever were...scary.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:57 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,839,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I just read the link at the bottom of the post. Disturbing. Gargiulos parents are partly to blame and have to take some responsibility for these deaths. Help could have been sought for him growing up when he started showing signs of violence.
You like to put the blame for a criminals actions on the parents quite a bit Ive noticed, dont you? There comes a time when we all must take responsibility for our own actions. Hindsight is 20/20 you know.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:59 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,839,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Did anyone catch this episode of 48 Hours this weekend?

The Boy Next Door - 48 Hours - CBS News

As an avid true crime reader/watcher, I found myself quite disturbed by this episode/case.

I have always felt that single women should not live on ground floor apartments (due to the easy access they provide criminals), and knowing that a guy like this has been lurking out on the streets for 18 years further cemented that opinion.

What was even more disturbing was that this guy found a way to climb into a second floor window to attack one of his victims. If you watch the video above, go to 26:40 and it shows the window he went into. I can't tell exactly how far above the railing the window is - it may not actually be a full 2nd floor above.

In this case, the window was open. (That is another simple step that people can take to help decrease the odds of being a crime victim in their homes - keep windows shut and locked at night).

But in the case of the victim where he went through the window, much like the one where he attacked her in the ground floor apartment, he lived in very close proximity to these women and most likely observed them over an extended period of time before he attacked them.

That was the really disturbing thing about this guy, to me: that he was out there observing his prey, just waiting for the best chance to attack. In the case of all 4 of his victims profiled in this episode (3 murdered, one attempted murder- she fought him off), he spent time observing them prior to killing them. (The police imply that he likely has other victims beyond the ones shown in this episode.)

For some reason I find this more scary than someone like Ted Bundy who would randomly approach women on the street (even though that is horrible too). In the case of a man trying to get you to help him put his books in the car because his arm is in a sling, a woman can at least make the decision to not go anywhere near him.

But in the case where a woman is just living her life and is unaware that a man is living near her, observing her, and just planning to attack her in the middle of the night while she is asleep, THAT is even more scary.

You can read more about him here: Crime Library: Michael Gargiulo

We have a thread on here where we discuss the 48 hour mystery every week if you would care to join in....

click HERE

Old 03-13-2012, 11:19 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,443,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You like to put the blame for a criminals actions on the parents quite a bit Ive noticed, dont you? There comes a time when we all must take responsibility for our own actions. Hindsight is 20/20 you know.

I'm wondering how much help the parents tried to get him, if any? Gargiulo was a troubled violent kid, a minor.

When kids are ill, physically or mentally, they need medical attention, a responsibility that seems to have been neglected.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:47 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,918,369 times
women can be raped, robed on any floor. A women needs to use precautions and safety meausres to ensure her dwelling is secure. regardless what floor its on. fact NYC has a lot of firescapes and the ones on the top floor near the roof are just as safe or unsafe as the first floor an the floors in between.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:53 PM

26,580 posts, read 26,455,782 times
Ashton Kutcher's ex-girlfriend, Ashley Elleren, was found dead in 2001 in her Hollywood Hills home. Kutcher told police he went to pick up the fashion student-model for a post-Grammy Awards party, but she did not answer the door. Kutcher testified in May, 2018.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...lo/3661174002/

‘Boy Next Door Killer’ suspect Michael Gargiulo guilty in knife attacks on Ashton Kutcher’s date, other young women:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-trial-verdict

Old 05-31-2020, 08:49 AM

1,763 posts, read 1,139,083 times
This story was rerun last night in 2 parts.

One thing I caught was that Michael went to his first victim (Tricia P) parent's house and waited for the Dad to come home for over an hour to tell him something. Unfortunately, his father and sister came just as Dad was coming home, and said we're leaving now.

It sounds as though he was going to confess. He probably told sister where he was going, and she later told their father when he got home. If they knew he had done it and dragged him out of the house so he wouldn't confess, they're just as guilty for the 2 murders and 1 attempt that happened after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime