Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 11:51 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone read the NY Times article on Sunday and saw the Frontline Documentary on PBS last night? I live in Florida and never heard about this before, but after reading the article and seeing the documentary--am really appalled by the St. John County Sheriff Department's shoddy investigation. Feel terrible for the victim's family and even though I live in Florida and am all too well aware that the Fla sheriffs' "old boy" system exists, I was pretty shocked by the documentary and the St. Johns County Sheriff Shoar's actions. The Times and Frontline did an extremely detailed investigation--it was really fascinating.

Two Gunshots on a Summer Night - The New York Times

NY Times investigates death of St. Johns County deputy's girlfriend | News - Home

Transcript | A Death in St. Augustine | FRONTLINE | PBS

Documentary investigates 'shadow' cast by Michelle O'Connell's death investigation | StAugustine.com

Behind The Blue Wall: [FL] It's that simple? Anonymous deputy says his anonymous girlfriend killed herself and the anonymous investigators believe him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 01:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Florida? Again? Do all the crazy violent people live there?

I know it is a very populated state, but it just seems like more crime happens there...

Old 11-27-2013, 01:40 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

I know it is a very populated state, but it just seems like more crime happens there...
Although Fla does have more than its fair share of crazies, this was not so much crazy people as a case of domestic violence with a cop involved and what appears to have been either a cover-up by the Sheriff's Department to protect one of their own, or a number of very incompetent investigators. I did not understand just how bizarre the investigation was until I saw people interviewed on screen. There definitely are a lot of not-so-good cops here and also a lot of nepotism in law enforcement, which may explain some of the incompetence. Hopefully the documentary and article will bring more attention to this case.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,526 times
[url]https://www.change.org/petitions/brad-king-bring-michelle-o-connells-case-to-a-grand-jury/sponsors/new?aftersign=true#[/url]
This is the petition that was started at change.org for Michelle Oconnell to help bring Justice and closer for her Family. God Bless

Old 12-02-2013, 06:17 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

I live here and it seems true. When I watch that show " Most shocking criminals " most times it is a hold up or other crime down here.

Don

Old 12-02-2013, 09:18 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times
Did the documentary prove that the woman was murdered? Or that the investigation was so compromised that the facts cannot be known? Interesting that the mother and brother of the victim also worked for the Sheriff's Department, and that the brother, who initially doubted his sister committed suicide, now says he thinks that she did. In circumstances like this, does the mother have a case for a lawsuit?

Old 12-02-2013, 01:17 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,857 times
I read the NYT story and watched the documentary, too. Now that the media has exposed St. John County Sheriff Department perhaps the family of Michelle O'Connell will find some resolution.

But I'm curious- how did this particular story capture the attention of the NYT and PBS? Many police families who have suffered from domestic violence could only be so lucky to have their stories told on the national stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12
Or, what agenda does the national media have against Florida? These types of crimes happen everywhere but if it happens in Florida the media is sure to expose it. Why is that?

Old 12-02-2013, 05:00 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,473 times
I saw the PBS Frontline documentary. I think the victim's brother is staying with the sheriff's department because "you keep your friends close, but your enemies closer." I can't think of any other rational explanation for his decision to work in such close proximity to his sister's alleged murderer (her own husband).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime