Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:06 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I don't know if I believe the story Or, the frequency is blown out of proportion. A guy running out of the store with a cart of 25 bottles of Tide isn't going unnoticed, it'll take a few minutes to unload it into his vehicle. Certainly the police would be on the scene by then or someone would have their tag number? Oh...thats right the police can't even get to bank robberies or store hold ups, what am I thinking.
The local news explained it this way: anyone walking around with a cart piled high with ~~~TIDE~~~~~~~~ would very likely be unnoticed or explained away as some delivery/stock person. Who steals a cart piled high with Tide?

These people went from store to store doing this. I doubt I would have thought about it twice if I saw someone doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 11:09 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I don't get why anyone buys that stuff.

It sits on the grocery store shelf costing double what same sized other name brands cost, I can't imagine reaching for it to put in my cart. It is just laundry soap.
Personally we have tried about all of them and tide just cleans better in our opinion.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
The local news explained it this way: anyone walking around with a cart piled high with ~~~TIDE~~~~~~~~ would very likely be unnoticed or explained away as some delivery/stock person. Who steals a cart piled high with Tide?

These people went from store to store doing this. I doubt I would have thought about it twice if I saw someone doing this.
Employees didn't notice? What about management? Its a red flag. They can't differentiate their own employees from customers?

Old 03-19-2012, 01:42 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,114 times
You know...I just thought of something...Proctor and Gamble is loving all this FREE publicity I say they are behind the hype in the news media Everyone is talking about it and I bet people are saying to themselves, "Hey, that Tide must be really good if people are stealing it by the thousands, I think I'll go out and buy me some."

Old 03-19-2012, 03:25 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I just wanna know who the hell goes around hitting up shady characters on the street asking where they can get the best laundry detergent hook-up.

Guy: Hey man, you selling?
Other guy: Depends, what are ya looking for?
Guy: Lookin' for something that really gets the stains out, if you get what I'm saying
Other guy: Yeah my man, hit up 40th and Grand, tell them Guy sent you, my boy's got Tide AND Gain too.
Are we SURE that this is not some clever PR campaign?

PR companies would do almost ANYTHING to get such an article in the paper from a supposed unbiased source.

PS: Tide does clean better, which is why they are still selling even though the price is so high. Also, there is a ratio of filler to detergent in some brands. Some have more water or sand as a filler.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:30 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Every now and again you hear of some nervy guys, dressed a certain way with an insignia entering a business and carting away computers or some costly equipment saying it's for regular maintenance and that another guy will be right up with their temporary replacement. THey even have requisition forms for the equipment.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:38 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Every now and again you hear of some nervy guys, dressed a certain way with an insignia entering a business and carting away computers or some costly equipment saying it's for regular maintenance and that another guy will be right up with their temporary replacement. THey even have requisition forms for the equipment.
The Tide bandits would have a very convincing story to get past management after clearing off the shelves. Possibly something similar to your post.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:20 AM

14 posts, read 12,386 times
Tide is a great product but it's not something I would need to buy off the black market.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:56 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Employees didn't notice? What about management? Its a red flag. They can't differentiate their own employees from customers?
It's been happening in busy places like Target & Wallmart where most emplyees are busy checking customers out and there are fewer just walking around. I doubt these average employees are kept up to date on all the activities that could be happening in the store (deliveries, change-outs, etc...) As previously mentioned, this is so outrageous that most people wouldn't think anything of it.

I have never noticed any management types walking about - they are probably busy elsewhere trying to keep their jobs.

All this will probably change now. These Tide bandits got 90 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime