Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 08:04 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
A combo of extreme religion, incompetent husband ( I like that term), hormone fluctuations and probably pre-existing mental illness. I always wonder if there were any sane people around her, would it have changed the outcome? Or, why didn't anyone see?
You forgot the incompetent doctor and health insurance who capped her in-patient days. The facility she was in admitted she wasn't healthy enough to be released, but their hands were tied by the health insurance. What they should have done was filed an emergency petition with the court for an involuntary commitment which would have been paid for by the State of TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 11:19 AM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Great. I am sorry, kill five kids, you should not be out free. Don't matter to me if it was your own kids, or if you are/were crazy. She should be locked up for good. Who knows what could set her off? And she goes on another killing rampage.
"Gee, sorry, yeah, we knew she was crazy, but we thought she was better."
Who knows what she could do? Or what could set her off? Seeing a baby in a cart at Wal-Mart, she could slit its throat with a knife from the culinary section. No one knows what she is capable of, this woman drowned her own kids. Don't tell me is not a danger to society. No one thought she would kill her kids either.
I read on article that claims she has a standing job offer at some sort of animal clinic ..... apparently she just loves working with animals. Now would I bring one of my animals to a veterinary practice that employed her .... I don't think so . " Gee, Minethatbird, you dog was ill and I felt like it wasn't progressing sufficiently so I decided to send him to God."

Let's not even go to what I'd think of having that creature live next door. Maybe her attorney Mr Parnham can have her live in his house.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:10 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,861 times
Oh, for goodness sake.
She killed her beautiful children.
Why all the pity for this killer?

Old 04-22-2012, 03:38 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Great. I am sorry, kill five kids, you should not be out free. Don't matter to me if it was your own kids, or if you are/were crazy. She should be locked up for good. Who knows what could set her off? And she goes on another killing rampage.
"Gee, sorry, yeah, we knew she was crazy, but we thought she was better."
Who knows what she could do? Or what could set her off? Seeing a baby in a cart at Wal-Mart, she could slit its throat with a knife from the culinary section. No one knows what she is capable of, this woman drowned her own kids. Don't tell me is not a danger to society. No one thought she would kill her kids either.
I don't think you can compare radical fundie Christianity with mainstream religion. One breeds fanatics and one fosters spiritual growth within a normal life.

I don't think, after therapy, she will have that absolute and unquestioning obedience to another man.

She probably will not want more kids, at 48 now, or she can't have any, so postpartum depression is also out of the question.

So, I think the influences and pressures that triggered her horrid behavior are pretty much controllable and out of the picture. Moreso than those of some men who murder and are let out.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You forgot the incompetent doctor and health insurance who capped her in-patient days. The facility she was in admitted she wasn't healthy enough to be released, but their hands were tied by the health insurance. What they should have done was filed an emergency petition with the court for an involuntary commitment which would have been paid for by the State of TX.
Didn't the religious beliefs frown on medication?
I think I remember that the doctor or the system was hesitant to make a case that was counter to their religious beliefs. I may be wrong, it was so long ago.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Oh, for goodness sake.
Because some of us have been members of dogmatic and restrictive religions.

Some of us have had husbands/boyfriends who were controlling and tried to control our minds.

Some of us have had difficult to control mood swings because of hormones.

Now, ramp all of that up really high, all together, and give us little money and a housefull of kids to care for, and it frightens us/me to think of what might happen.

What I pity, is that on the road back to sanity she faces the horrific thing that she did.

It is easier to find compassion for her than that woman who killed her kids because she was after a man, not her husband, who did not want any. There are a lot of worse murderers to hate.

This one, at least, has factual causes.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:57 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I don't think you can compare radical fundie Christianity with mainstream religion. One breeds fanatics and one fosters spiritual growth within a normal life.

I don't think, after therapy, she will have that absolute and unquestioning obedience to another man.

She probably will not want more kids, at 48 now, or she can't have any, so postpartum depression is also out of the question.

So, I think the influences and pressures that triggered her horrid behavior are pretty much controllable and out of the picture. Moreso than those of some men who murder and are let out.
I agree, Golden Grain. Radical fundamentalist Christianity is poisonous.
I also happen to think that many people who practice it, are mentally imbalanced, and need structure. They actively seek a brand of religion that regulates every facet of their lives.

This type of concrete thinking is a feature of schizophrenia. Not every fundie is schizophrenic, but many have schitzotypal features, or are schitzoid. They have a complete inability to see shades of gray.

Yates was a perpetrator and a victim. I am inclined to have mercy on her, yet I am not sure that she could ever function on her own completely, without being a banger too herself or others.

As far as going to church, I am not sue why she can't attend services in the institution. Usually they have something like a chapel available.
I am also thinking that church was part of the problem. Could this mean she is symptomatic once again?

Old 04-22-2012, 06:07 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Didn't the religious beliefs frown on medication?
I think I remember that the doctor or the system was hesitant to make a case that was counter to their religious beliefs. I may be wrong, it was so long ago.
In my experience with fundie Christians, and unfortunatly, I have had a lot; they frown on seeking "counsel from the ungodly" and generally frown on or are cautious of, psychiatrists, and see psychiatry as a religion, or in competition with religion. The ones I knew, did not resort first to seeking competent mental health help first. They would wait until this became extreme, and even then; seek out first "christian Counselors", who may not have proper credentials. The generally do not prescribe meds.

By the time mainstream help is sought, something pretty serious has to have happened, or intervention from the authorities has occurred.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:30 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Oh, for goodness sake.
Some of us have compassion for her dead children, as well as, for the person who suffered so deeply from mental illness that she took their lives....she will never live a normal life or be free of what she did. What more do you want ?

Old 04-22-2012, 09:37 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
...snip....This type of concrete thinking is a feature of schizophrenia. Not every fundie is schizophrenic, but many have schitzotypal features, or are schitzoid. They have a complete inability to see shades of gray. (my bold)...snip...
Some on here have an inability to see shades of gray in this situtuation. She is a killer.....that's it......not, she was mentally incompetent, she was incapable of sane thinking, everything pointed to a tragedy waiting to happen.....nope.....

I really doubt Andrea Yates is wanting to get out of this institution, get married and have more children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime