U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:27 PM

695 posts, read 853,648 times
Default Andrea Yates wants to go to Church....

When I saw this today on Yahoo I didn't even know she was in a position to be allowed to ask this! I thought she was in prison and not a mental hospital. She was clearly a insane person but in the end of the day she planned the murder of her children and took that 1 hour of alone time with them and did it. Why the heck is she in a mental hospital?????

Andrea Yates asking to attend church weekly - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 02:24 PM

23,549 posts, read 31,040,993 times
Her doctors and family failed her. Her husband was told that when she left the mental health facility less than a week earlier she wasn't to be left alone, yet he went off and left her alone. At the time of her release there was worry that she'd be harmful to herself, but there was never indication she'd harm others. There is evidence that an improper combination of psychiatric medication caused the psychotic break that caused her to kill the children--in other words, medical malpractice. She never should ahve been released from the hospital a week before drowning the kids.

She was found not guilty by reason of mental insanity. She is currently in a minimum security mental health facility. There is no specific limit on how long she'll be kept there, she could be released any time the doctors feel she is well enough to not be a danger to herself or others. Giving her small doses of freedom such as leaving for church services is the first step towards her eventual release to society. Medicated and lucid, I'm sure the guilt she carries is far worse than any jail cell would be.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:41 PM

5,523 posts, read 4,207,537 times
Completely agree...she was very ill...prior to the killings.

FYI to op: Her original guilty verdict for murder was overturned... 2nd time = guilty/insanity.

How hard to come to grips with these horrors she committed,
now that she has had proper treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Her doctors and family failed her. Her husband was told that when she left the mental health facility less than a week earlier she wasn't to be left alone, yet he went off and left her alone. At the time of her release there was worry that she'd be harmful to herself, but there was never indication she'd harm others. There is evidence that an improper combination of psychiatric medication caused the psychotic break that caused her to kill the children--in other words, medical malpractice. She never should ahve been released from the hospital a week before drowning the kids.

She was found not guilty by reason of mental insanity. She is currently in a minimum security mental health facility. There is no specific limit on how long she'll be kept there, she could be released any time the doctors feel she is well enough to not be a danger to herself or others. Giving her small doses of freedom such as leaving for church services is the first step towards her eventual release to society. Medicated and lucid, I'm sure the guilt she carries is far worse than any jail cell would be.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:56 PM

18,868 posts, read 14,998,382 times
My firm opinion, is that anyone in a mental institution should not go to church. Once, a guy was given a bible, he was inpatient for psych. He ended up enucleating his own eye...because "His right eye offended him, so he "smote" it out"...work with any psych patients, they are always quoting the bible left and right...and not always in context.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:21 PM

23,549 posts, read 31,040,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My firm opinion, is that anyone in a mental institution should not go to church. Once, a guy was given a bible, he was inpatient for psych. He ended up enucleating his own eye...because "His right eye offended him, so he "smote" it out"...work with any psych patients, they are always quoting the bible left and right...and not always in context.
She's in a minimum security facility and I'm sure has plenty of access to items that could be far more harmful to her than a bible.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:31 PM

6,091 posts, read 2,782,842 times
I thought prisons/mental facilities had chapels of their own?

Old 03-29-2012, 09:42 PM

695 posts, read 853,648 times
Quote:

I do agree that her family failed her, i think after reading it earlier it was mainly her husband as it seemed the Dr. could only do so much I guess it was a problem with insurance allowances at that time, the hospital could not keep her anymore. Her husband had no right to make his own decision at giving her a hour of "independence" as he says. But at same time she had it all ready and prepared on what to do in that hour, I cannot feel bad for her. Medication, psychosis whatever she killed 5 innocent children. I also agree ahe will carry the burden of the guilt forever but still she is alive to have that, they are not. IMO she should be in prison or forever in a mental hospital. No release or church outings.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:06 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,423,422 times
I think letting her go to a church service outside the facility is risky.

Part of her problem was that she and her husband were involved in an unusual religious community. She claimed that God told her to kill the children.

However, her doctors are much more aware of her condition that I am.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:49 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,266,851 times
Quote:

I lived in Houston at the time when she murdered her children and you are right - her family and doctor let here down. I believe her husband was to blame for what happened. He had his elderly mother helping Andrea but his mother did not come to the house that day to help her. There were talks of him having a gf at the time. Who knows, but he is married to someone else now. There was mental illness on here side of the family and she was estranged from her family if I remember correctly. I felt sorry for her and I still do. She needed help and didn't get it. Also because of her and her husband's religion, she had odd beliefs and her husband alienated her from society.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:18 AM

11,996 posts, read 12,111,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Completely agree...she was very ill...prior to the killings.

FYI to op: Her original guilty verdict for murder was overturned... 2nd time = guilty/insanity.

How hard to come to grips with these horrors she committed,
now that she has had proper treatment.
quilty/insanity
At what point do they pronounce her reformed and sane? Sane with the help of medications? What if she suddenly stopped those meds?

The stalker that followed Madonna and wanted to slash her throat is in minimum security mental facility too, he escaped about 6 weeks ago and was recovered a couple days later.

I wouldn't trust either one of these two on the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime