Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 08:11 PM

335 posts, read 503,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I know there is a theory that something was wrong with the baby--maybe he was showing early signs of mental retardation. As a result Lindbergh, as a supporter of eugenics, was involved in having the baby kidnapped.
I have no idea if there is any truth to this but I remember reading about it.
That's total BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 08:32 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumshoe Lady View Post
That's total BS.
How do you know? We will likely never know for sure what happened. Was the Lindbergh Kidnapping an Inside Job? | Media Relations

Old 07-28-2014, 10:35 PM

44,629 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Rumors make for sensational headlines. Stories get turned around and discombobulated just for the profitable sensationalism and some people buy into it.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:37 AM

477 posts, read 800,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have never believed in the guilt of Bruno Hauptmann. Anti-German sentiment at the time was at a high point in our country. Hauptmann was the "perfect bad guy" This anti German sentiment, had more to do with WW! and the tide of German immigrants that was still entering the US and had been for the past 100 years.

What bothers me is that Charles Lindbergh while a celebrated aviator at the time, had a dark side. He was a Nazi sympathizer from the 1930s on, when most Americans were unaware of the what was going on in Germany, and a White Supremacist.

It was a tragic situation all around.
The whole Lindbergh family seemed a bit off. Charles Lindbergh would later have MULTIPLE families in Europe. I think he had three mistresses. I also found it funny none of the people claiming to be their son was ever allowed a DNA test. I understand as a parent the pain they must have felt, but if I really thought someone was a nut/liar I'd provide my DNA so it would be closed. I also never believed that was really the body of their child. I'm divided upon whether out not he was murdered, but I do if he was that wasn't his body. He was a strange looking child. That with a badly decomposed, possibly false?, body, makes me thinking the Lindbergh knew more, especially Charles.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I know there is a theory that something was wrong with the baby--maybe he was showing early signs of mental retardation. As a result Lindbergh, as a supporter of eugenics, was involved in having the baby kidnapped.
I have no idea if there is any truth to this but I remember reading about it.
I've heard this, too. I remember reading somewhere he was very behind where a child should be for his age.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:24 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
I also found it funny none of the people claiming to be their son was ever allowed a DNA test .
Three of Lindbergh's children, two sons and a daughter had the DNA test and were found to be his biological children. (This was after Lindbergh, his wife, and the European adult children's mother--one of Lindbergh's mistresses--had died.) Reeve Lindbergh, Anne Morrow Lindbergh and Charles Lindbergh's youngest daughter, has met all seven of her half siblings in Europe.

Quote:
I also never believed that was really the body of their child. That with a badly decomposed, possibly false?, body, makes me thinking the Lindbergh knew more.
Dental records were used to identify the baby's body.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:14 AM

I meant all those men who claimed they were the baby that "died". Why not give them a DNA test to prove they're lying? Seems fishy to me. Just as it always seemed fishy to me there was no autopsy and the body was cremated.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:39 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
I know there was as really sad theory that as the kidnapper was carrying the baby down the ladder the baby's head was struck on one of the rungs of the ladder and was killed instantly...ransom or no the baby was not going to be reunited with his family alive...

Old 07-29-2014, 01:46 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Nothing to add...but great thread here... lots of info!!

Old 07-30-2014, 07:37 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
I meant all those men who claimed they were the baby that "died". Why not give them a DNA test to prove they're lying? Seems fishy to me.
There were hundreds of people who came forth, claiming to be the Lindbergh baby. It would have been impossible to test all of them. And why would they, if it was proved through dental records and identification of the body that the deceased child was theirs?

This whole "hoax" issue is reminiscent of the Sandy Hook "hoax."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime