Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 12:18 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times

Advertisements

If a person is in prison and has in the past used violence against a person and a psychologist or several say it's ok to release him and he murders someone, should the psychologist/s be penalized in some way? I mean, if it were not for them their would be another person still living their life on the planet.

It is easy to sit in prison and see this guy who all of a sudden got religion and says he's turned his life around. He may even believe it when he says it. After all, the pressures in the big house are different than the pressures outside.

The guy says he's really sorry and dedicates his life behind bars to help others. Pedophiles are often ideal prisoners. Guards wonder, before hearing about their records, why they are in there.

If the shrink knew there would be some sort of penalty maybe they would not be so sympathetic towards the offender, don't you think?

I am following the thread on Charlie Manson, who never even wanted to be let out of prison but they did, and he did what he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 02:10 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
It's hard, impossible, to predict human behavior. So, even a psychologist is only taking an educated guess at what someone will do in the future. And, you see time in and time out how they let someone out and they re-offend. Not sure what the answer to this should be. Depends on the crime and other variables. Certain crimes should get life, without parole, period.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:36 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Since when does one psychologist determine if a convicted felon walks free?

Is the one psychologist the entire parole board now? Did they grant him power over to overule the courts sentencing?

And if there were a penalty dont you think every psychologist in nearly every case(assuming this actually happens) would say no to release?

Old 04-11-2012, 03:20 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
If a person is in prison and has in the past used violence against a person and a psychologist or several say it's ok to release him and he murders someone, should the psychologist/s be penalized in some way? I mean, if it were not for them their would be another person still living their life on the planet.
Stop and think about this for a minute. If this became a rule answer the following questions for me:

1. Who would want work as a prison psychologist with the threat of a penalty hanging over them if they make one wrong prediction?

2. Would prison psychologists ever recommend that any person, anytime, for any offense be released if this was the consequence of their being wrong about the threat that person posed to society?

3. Would parole grind to a halt?

4. What would this mean in terms of prison overcrowding?

What you propose is utterly unworkable. And, as others have pointed out, its the parole board--not the psychologist--that makes decisions whether or not to let someone go.

The final comment I will make here is that if people are determined to go the route that you describe than my suggestion would simply be to make all prison sentences for all offenses life sentences without the possibility of parole. That deals with the problem you describe in a more direct fashion.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:32 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
No one can predict behavior. My "issue" with prison psychologists, is how easily manipulated they are by criminals. They just don't really understand the mind set of extreme sociopathy. A person who just uses others, and lives an entire lifestyle of using, manipulating, and lying. Many prison psychologists are students fresh out of school, getting their hours towards licensure. A sheltered life of school, nuturing parents, grad school, does not exactly prepare you to work with someone like Charles Manson.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:57 PM

125 posts, read 206,569 times
I am a former prison guard and I never "wondered why they were in there", before or after knowing their offense. I was fairly confident they were not incarcerated for being in Sunday School. The truth is I did not care what their offense was as I was there for security, custody and control, not to mete out punishment. I also took a very skeptical view of any "sudden" conversions although I am sure circumstances of that nature can cause one to review the choices they have made and in some cases, genuine remorse and resolve to do right may be the result.
The professionals who work with criminals do not always get it right nor do the parole boards; however, I do not believe they should be held accountable for the actions of a person who has already demonstrated they cannot abide by the rules.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:02 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Given the fact that a released prisoner reoffends within a 5yr period, why would they release or parole them at all? Now, I already know the answer, so, its rhetorical.

Jasper12

Why is it prisons hire inexperience over a seasoned psychologist?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:58 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Because that is what they can get. The pay is low, working conditions are bad, and liability, huge. They are over worked and basically supervising, doing nueropsych tests, and lots of reports and testifying in court, it is scut work, with scum criminals, and not too prestigious...it is a place to get hours, build some criminal, and substance abuse experience, and leave. No one really motivated will stay in a job like that.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:59 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Because that is what they can get. The pay is low, working conditions are bad, and liability, huge. They are over worked and basically supervising, doing nueropsych tests, and lots of reports and testifying in court, it is scut work, with scum criminals, and not too prestigious...it is a place to get hours, build some criminal, and substance abuse experience, and leave. No one really motivated will stay in a job like that.
I can see theres not much advantage except for the experince on a resume, or a strong desire for criminal reform.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Given the fact that a released prisoner reoffends within a 5yr period, why would they release or parole them at all? Now, I already know the answer, so, its rhetorical.

Jasper12

Why is it prisons hire inexperience over a seasoned psychologist?
My gf has a Ph.D. in clinical psych and excellent experience. She moved from TX to TN and her pay is in the system, it was a 40k pay cut. (She has since relocated again, pay in TN for some professionals is terrible).

Prisons cant get the more experienced therapists. She also said even people who do need mental help rarely get it in prison and end up coming out worse than when they went in. The system is just basic maintenance, no rehabilitation, it makes people worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime