Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 10:01 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times

Advertisements

Skel, you are correct, some people will never have a frame of reference to understand the other side of police officers. Young, lower education, low SES, minorities...usually the ones this type of "confession" occurs.

Having worked, with the police, I remember at the table, "I KNEW he did it...we just need him to confess". Backwards of how we think it should happen..."Here is the evidence, we know based on this and this who did the crime, let's charge him".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 12:25 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,889,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
What's your definition of "cooperate" and how would you do so if it were you in this particular instance?
I would answe general questions as honestly as I could, without a lawyer. Once it became evident that I was being targeted I would stop the questioning though

Old 05-23-2012, 01:00 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Skel, you are correct, some people will never have a frame of reference to understand the other side of police officers. Young, lower education, low SES, minorities...usually the ones this type of "confession" occurs.

Having worked, with the police, I remember at the table, "I KNEW he did it...we just need him to confess". Backwards of how we think it should happen..."Here is the evidence, we know based on this and this who did the crime, let's charge him".
Jasper I am going to have to disagree with you on the point of the backwards thinking. Understand, the police can only arrest based upon probable cause. Lots of times I "know" the person committed crime X and couldn't prove it, without their confession.

A good example: Jane is the victim of a strong arm robbery. I catch the suspect, with her wallet, two blocks away. Jane is unable to identify the suspect (or unwilling). Now what? You have NOTHING; at this point, without his confession. You can't charge him, just because he has her wallet. All he has to do is say, "I found it."

You may not like it, however, MILLIONS of completely guilty CRIMINALS have been put in jail using such a "tactic." Not too mention, it is completely legal and justifiable. You may not like it, which of course is your right, however, it is a legitimate way to do things.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:14 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I know. I am not saying I disagree with it. But...it is a tactic that can lead to false confessions with over zealous officers.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:03 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,221 times
www.falseconfessions.org

Old 05-29-2012, 04:13 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,098,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
A lot of times we here of "false" or "coerced" confessions, based on fatigue, emotion, fear, etc etc. and I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it! Granted, I have never been in a situation that might test me in this way, but I don't think there is ANY way that I could ever falsely confess to something that I did not do, no matter how little sleep I had, no matter how long the interrogation went on, no matter how little I had to eat or drink, or no matter how aggressive the police were being with me. I just don't see it happening.

What are your thoughts on these so called false confessions?
Seems to me the mind can trick you into anything including a false confession.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:41 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Agree. They've explained on some TV shows how they manipulate these people into confessing. And they're often not the brightest folks to begin with. Would be more trouble for them to go out and find the real perpetrators.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:31 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
I would answe general questions as honestly as I could, without a lawyer. Once it became evident that I was being targeted I would stop the questioning though
You are being targeted the moment you decide to talk to the police.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:34 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Agree, anything, has anyone seen the Manchurian Candidate", real life manipulation.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:20 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,269,557 times
Quote:

LMAO!

And what happens if those honest answers are taken and twisted against you?

Obviously you have not had much to do with police but I was in court a couple of weeks ago with a friend who had been wrongly arrested and spent a week in jail as a result.

The police stood in front of me, in court, and LIED.

Straight out lied.

The judge didn't even READ the charges, nor had the police prosecutor.

It was the biggest farce I have ever seen.

These people (law enforcers) do not think of "justice" like you and I. They think RESULTS. They think boasting at the pub because of all the SCORES they got in the week (arrests). Guilt is irrelevant - these guys assume every civilian is a criminal they just haven't caught yet. It is just a great big ego driven chess game. Justice is a stranger.

You want to hope and pray you never find yourself even peripherally involved with LE, but if you do, only a fool says one word without a GOOD lawyer beside them.

You confirm your name, your address (which is what my friend did wrong) and then you invoke your constitutional right to not answer any further questions until you have a lawyer.

Anyone who does anything different is an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime