Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 09:58 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,826,916 times

Advertisements

I watched the CNN clip regarding Brian Banks, who 6 years ago, was falsely accused of rape [I believe he was 16] - although always maintaining his innocence, at the advice of his attorney, he accepted a sentence of 6 yrs - he has been out on parole, with ankle 'bracelet' - on the registry - unable to get a job, etc.

During this time period, his accuser/victim was awarded approx 1.5million for damages from the school they attended.

What brought about his exoneration was his victim/accuser contacted him on facebook - admitted that she had lied, that he never did anything to her, etc. The CA Innocence Project took his case, and in a nutshell, a judge completely exonerated Mr. Banks; his record has been expunged and he is a free man.

So, he lost 6 years of his life; she won $1.5million dollars in a civil suit based upon a lie.

Although it appears that the victim wants to 'friend him' on Facebook, she has not apologized to him for what she did. When Mr. Banks told the victim that he has had a 'difficult life', she acknowledged that things have not been easy for her either. [paraphrasing].

I am, as many have read, very involved in victims' rights especially in the domestic violence / sexual assault arena. I also clearly know that sexual assault[s] cases are primarily "he said - she said" situations. It is certainly horrific enough when an offender alludes prosecution for a crime that is committed; however, it is equally if not more egregious, in my opinion, when someone is prosecuted/sentenced for a crime that they did not do. So, it appears to me, that this is the flipside of who now is the victim.

I believe that too often, accountability, or the lack thereof, is not viewed as seriously as it should be.

Should the woman who blatantly lied about the sexual assault and devastated this man's life be held accountable for her actions? I believe she should be. Should she be held accountable for lying in the civil case which resulted in a $1.5 million award? I believe she should be. Should she have to repay that settlement which was obtained under false pretenses? I think so. And, should she be charged with a criminal offense such as giving false information which brought about a wrongful conviction? I think so. And, should she be sued by either or both the school and Mr. Banks?

Certainly I am glad for Mr. Banks that he was exonerated; I think it is great that he is going to, finally, have the opportunity to potentially play w/the NFL [which had been his dream - and apparently there are teams contacting him already]....and I also think that the victim/accuser who initially orchestrated everything 6 years ago, needs to be held accountable for her actions.

Thoughts? Comments?

Exonerated in rape case, man lines up NFL tryouts – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 02:13 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times
After her confession, she stated concern about losing her 1.5 million. Money may have been the motivating factor.

She wants to befriend him on FB...brass cojones.

The court should use this girl as an example. A public letter of apology, to the real victim, school administrators, as well as the prosecuting jurisdiction to be published in their local newspaper.

Return the 1.5, a pysch evaluation, shes in serious need of mental health help. Jail sentence equivalent to the time served by Brian Banks, after release an ankle monitor and public serve, preferably picking up accumulated trash along the highway in a bright orange jumpsuit.

Brian Banks should file lawsuit.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:50 PM

After her confession, she stated concern about losing her 1.5 million. Money may have been the motivating factor.... She wants to befriend him on FB...brass cojones..... The court should use this girl as an example. A public letter of apology, to the real victim, school administrators, as well as the prosecuting jurisdiction to be published in their local newspaper....... Return the 1.5, a pysch evaluation, shes in serious need of mental health help. Jail sentence equivalent to the time served by Brian Banks, after release an ankle monitor and public serve, preferably picking up accumulated trash along the highway in a bright orange jumpsuit. Brian Banks should file lawsuit.

I agree with you completely; for some reason, I really do not think, but only my opinion, that her reason to 'friend him' was remorse, not that I have any other idea as to why she would have.... guilt, hmmm, perhaps.....regardless, I think she needs to be accountable for what she did to him, to the school, she should be punished for her false statements, not only in the criminal case but clearly in the civil case as well; I have no idea whatsoever if there is a time limit for all of this to be done, i.e., school suing her now; yup, Brian should institute a lawsuit = how do you put a value on years lost and wages lost because no-one would hire him either because of his crime and being on the registry.

Thanks for your comments.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:07 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Sounds like Borderline Personality Disorder to me. And then has no idea why anyone would have issues with her behavior. Lie, take money, destroy someone's life, and have no remorse or understand why he would not want to be "friends". Typical.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:24 PM

Jasper12, you may be correct w/your profile description -- yet, even having a personality disorder should not prevent this woman from being culpable for her actions. It would certainly be interesting to learn why she opted to track him down now and make her confession -- really cannot believe it is based on remorse -- perhaps she just thinks that at this point, why not, and that there would be no ramifications.

I must admit that I am looking at the news on-line, waiting to see something about her i.e.,school institutes lawsuit; potential criminal charge, anything.

I am glad to see this however: Brian Banks, Who Was Cleared Of Rape Conviction, Will Get Shot At NFL Tryout : The Two-Way : NPR

Old 06-03-2012, 02:02 PM

I just viewed Brian Bank's Facebook page = pretty amazing AND amazing number of people [strangers] emailing him w/support! And another story by another 'friend' with a similar story....jeez:

The Brian Banks Story | Facebook

Old 06-03-2012, 05:53 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times
I understand his need to tell his story, I question why a production company hasn't offered to do his documentary

Hes asking for donations, recieved over 5k thus far, and needs 40k by June 28th. Perhaps he should ask his accuser for funding.

"Please help me tell my story by donating to the project. Watch, listen, share... Bless, and thank you for the support.

Documentary:" The Brian Banks Story"

http://kck.st/KGeixV

The Brian Banks Story | Facebook

Old 06-05-2012, 12:19 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,076,993 times
I have a loved one who is falsely accused and after a trial with a hung jury, plead to something he didn't do...this hits home. My loved one's accuser called just after she turned 18 and apologized for all the trouble she caused and in a very carefully worded round about way all but admitted she'd lied. It's frustrating I hope someday we'll have a chance to be free again. As it stands now, even with my loved one home and not in prison, we will not be free because of the registry and the smear on his record

Old 06-05-2012, 01:59 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,014 times
They should hang her

Old 06-05-2012, 07:55 PM

They should hang her

I find it outrageous when someone ["victim"] finally comes forward and announces and/or alludes to the fact that their prior story and/or testimony was false and nothing is done to hold that person completely accountable for destroying another person's life.... it is just wrong and unacceptable. I certainly understand the premise that better to let one guilty person free than have an innocent person behind bars -- perhaps this principle should be extended to include...the person who deliberately lies and destroys a life, regardless of how many years before, should be prosecuted -- I would think that action is a crime of some sort.

And, certainly, some type of restitution as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime