Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2017, 07:22 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Like Leineke before you, you're still not following. I never suggested that verdicts are determined by a single piece of evidence. What I've said, repeatedly, is that 1)convictions require evidence, 2) there was no reliable evidence presented in this case that showed Scott murdered Laci, and 3) if you believe there was, please cite it for me; just one piece is all I'm asking for.
In circumstantial cases, there is no one piece of evidence that shows that one person murdered another. A circumstantial case is based on a preponderance of evidence. Each item in itself does not prove a dang thing, but when you add them up you can see a bigger picture.

Someone started listing this evidence several pages back.

Watching true crime TV, there are plenty of people convicted on this type of evidence. But I am surprised this jury was able to give Scott the death penalty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Your posts reveal that you don't know enough about this case to even hold a valid opinion. Maybe you should read through the transcripts, or at least the thread first. Scott was neither in disguise nor "on his way to Mexico". The cash was a result of a bank snafu which was explained at trial. LE had confiscated Scott's truck. He sold Laci's vehicle in order to buy another truck, which he needed for his job. What else would you have him do?
I'm not familiar with what a fertilizer salesman does. Does he need a truck to haul a large amount of fertilizer? Or could he have used Laci's SUV to haul around a couple of bags for samples? I don't think it was the smelly manure type fertilizer. Or he could have used her SUV to pull a trailer piled with bags.

Do you remember who testified to the bank snafu? Did they get someone from the bank, or was it the people whose account was involved (his mother?). I'd like to read that testimony.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:20 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
We just disagree on this.The answer is so obvious, I assumed your question was rhetorical. Reading one page of this thread would show clearly I disagree with your assertion that Scott's a murderer.
I don't doubt for one second that you disagree with him being guilty. I'm just curious why, when a jury of his peers found him guilty. It's not rhetorical at all. I'm truly curious how someone could defend a murderer of a pregnant woman and her child. The only thing I can think of is that you're a family member.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Like Leineke before you, you're still not following. I never suggested that verdicts are determined by a single piece of evidence. What I've said, repeatedly, is that 1)convictions require evidence, 2) there was no reliable evidence presented in this case that showed Scott murdered Laci, and 3) if you believe there was, please cite it for me; just one piece is all I'm asking for.
Actually, it's you who are not following. Obviously, reliable evidence WAS presented in this case, since the jury found him guilty. You have been shown more than "one piece", but you have decided that the evidence that you are given is not good enough.

Fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Your posts reveal that you don't know enough about this case to even hold a valid opinion. Maybe you should read through the transcripts, or at least the thread first. Scott was neither in disguise nor "on his way to Mexico". The cash was a result of a bank snafu which was explained at trial. LE had confiscated Scott's truck. He sold Laci's vehicle in order to buy another truck, which he needed for his job. What else would you have him do?
Sure he was in disguise. The excuse about the money being a bank snafu might have been explained at trial (I can't find any mention of it), but by who? And what about the rest of the items he was found with? $15,000 in cash, four cell phones, camping equipment, a gun, his brother's driver's license? All innocent, right? Nope, those tell me that he was about to run.

Again, we will have to disagree about the behavior of a loving spouse. You've already said you think it's normal to have your very pregnant wife disappear close to her due date, with her car in the driveway and her purse in the house. Now you think it's normal for a loving spouse whose wife was missing, to sell her car 6 weeks after she went missing? And why did he need it for work? He sold fertilizer, not delivered fertilizer. And it was wholesale sales, which means he only visited offices.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:29 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Sure he was in disguise. The excuse about the money being a bank snafu might have been explained at trial (I can't find any mention of it), but by who? And what about the rest of the items he was found with? $15,000 in cash, four cell phones, camping equipment, a gun, his brother's driver's license? All innocent, right? Nope, those tell me that he was about to run.

Again, we will have to disagree about the behavior of a loving spouse. You've already said you think it's normal to have your very pregnant wife disappear close to her due date, with her car in the driveway and her purse in the house. Now you think it's normal for a loving spouse whose wife was missing, to sell her car 6 weeks after she went missing? And why did he need it for work? He sold fertilizer, not delivered fertilizer. And it was wholesale sales, which means he only visited offices.
He was about to run because he knew he was about to be arrested. Sooner or later. He was in disguise because the media hounded him relentlessly 24/7.

I don't see how "being on the run" translates into "he killed his wife" rather than "he knew he was about to be arrested".

I think anytime you take someone like Peterson, who seems to have clear narcissistic tendencies and then try to pick through his behaviors, you aren't going to get clear answers. Why do weirdos do the things they do?

I don't know what a "normal" loving husband and father to be would do if he arrived home from a fishing trip, found the dog in the backyard with a leash on, and his wife not there. I personally would probably think she was about to take him for a walk when a neighbor came over and said hey come over to my house and look at ______. Help me with _______. That's what I'd think.

I wouldn't think she was kidnapped.

Last edited by ClaraC; 06-30-2017 at 10:42 AM..

Old 06-30-2017, 11:37 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't know what a "normal" loving husband and father to be would do if he arrived home from a fishing trip, found the dog in the backyard with a leash on, and his wife not there. I personally would probably think she was about to take him for a walk when a neighbor came over and said hey come over to my house and look at ______. Help me with _______. That's what I'd think.
When it's Christmas Eve, her car is parked in the driveway, she's 8 1/2 months pregnant, they're due at her parents' home, and she left no note for him? All of it together would concern any spouse.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
When it's Christmas Eve, her car is parked in the driveway, she's 8 1/2 months pregnant, they're due at her parents' home, and she left no note for him? All of it together would concern any spouse.
Her due date was Feb 10. So she was still six weeks away or so. :-)

But to your point, Laci also didn't return a message he left on her voice mail when he was on his way back from the Bay. That was an hour trip, I believe, and it was a message that would cause me to call him back and let him know yes or no, I can do it or I can't. He left it at 2:12 and I think he said he didn't get home till 4 or 4:30? Yeah I'd have been wondering why no return call.

2:12 pm Scott called Laci twice
Scott used his cell phone again at 2:12 p.m. to check his voicemail for the same phone. The call lasted 28 seconds. He then made a 29-second call to the home phone. His third was a 30-second call to Laci's cell phone. All 3 of these calls were transmitted by the cell tower at 2600 Tenth Street in Berkeley CA. He left this message on her cell phone: "Hey, Beautiful. I just left you a message at home. It’s 2:15. I’m leaving Berkeley. I won’t be able to get to Vella Farms to get the basket for Papa. I was hoping you would get this message and go on out there. I’ll see you in a bit, sweetie. Love you. Bye."

Last edited by LillyLillyLilly; 06-30-2017 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-30-2017, 12:56 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I was 8 months pregnant and went out to our upstairs balcony to read for a bit, and accidentally locked myself out there. My husband came home and didn't look for me AT ALL - he may have called out hey I'm home when he got home. To be funny, I just sat out there and read to see how long it would take him to come looking for me. He never did. Two hours went by. I finally gave up and banged on the glass door. He said he assumed I was out walking.

So I guess I'm not the one to ask whether Peterson's behavior is unusual toward a pregnant wife.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:13 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Laci also didn't return a message he left on her voice mail when he was on his way back from the Bay.
Of course she didn't. She was dead.

Quote:
He left this message on her cell phone: "Hey, Beautiful. I just left you a message at home. It’s 2:15. I’m leaving Berkeley. I won’t be able to get to Vella Farms to get the basket for Papa. I was hoping you would get this message and go on out there. I’ll see you in a bit, sweetie. Love you. Bye."
Wow, he was good, wasn't he?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime