Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2017, 04:28 PM

164 posts, read 127,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
There are however other possibilities. Obviously.

Focusing too much on the outfit is ridiculous.
None that are reasonable. The clothing she was wearing when she was found is absolutely pertinent. It can and does dismiss all of the other sightings as misidentifications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 04:36 PM

35,508 posts, read 17,728,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyesidid View Post
None that are reasonable. The clothing she was wearing when she was found is absolutely pertinent. It can and does dismiss all of the other sightings as misidentifications.
I have asked this, and don't know if you saw it.

At what point did the witnesses state they saw her in black pants and a white shirt? Was it BEFORE, or was it AFTER they knew the missing woman was reported to have been wearing black pants and a white shirt?

Say, they've seen this woman and her dog walking the neighborhood before, and they recognize her from the poster. And they've seen her enough they know her when they see her. And now she's on a missing poster, and it says black pants white shirt.

If you can research and discover that these witnesses DID NOT see that description of black pants and a white top - and that these witnesses came up with that all on their own without any knowledge of being told that's what she was wearing, I'd say it was significant.

I believe your thinking is too rigid, and not accounting for how people's memories are processed.

Follow up question, was there in fact a woman who looked significantly like Laci who was pregnant walking a golden retriever and wearing black pants and a white top? Because surely that woman would have come forward. I honestly don't know the answer to that.

Last edited by ClaraC; 09-21-2017 at 04:44 PM..

Old 09-21-2017, 05:14 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,773,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I don't believe the nonsense that has been put forth on the Scott Peterson Appeal series. It all starts with the premise that Ted Rawlins is right, and the police are wrong. The series then goes on to build an entirely new set of facts based on an unreliable claim from a reporter. The series should be renamed: Scott's fictional account of the facts and how it relates to his last appeal.

" Does anyone want a case based solely on circumstantial evidence going to the US Supreme Court? "
Answer: rarely is a trial not based entirely on circumstantial evidence [note: DNA evidence is circumstantial evidence], so sure, why not.

The reporter is mistaken.
I'm with with you on that except that they believed the burglars timeline, and no one cared about the burglars timeline because the police were focused on Laci Peterson, and rightfully so. You believe the police and the burglars, I choose to believe that house wasn't robbed when the reporters got there. I've heard between 5-5:30 on that. By 6 am it was flooded with reporters anyway, that main reporter chick said she was there everyday by 6:15 at the latest because she had to set up for 7am tv.

Rowlands, had to set up for 6:30 tv.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:50 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,428,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I have asked this, and don't know if you saw it.

At what point did the witnesses state they saw her in black pants and a white shirt? Was it BEFORE, or was it AFTER they knew the missing woman was reported to have been wearing black pants and a white shirt?

Say, they've seen this woman and her dog walking the neighborhood before, and they recognize her from the poster. And they've seen her enough they know her when they see her. And now she's on a missing poster, and it says black pants white shirt.

If you can research and discover that these witnesses DID NOT see that description of black pants and a white top - and that these witnesses came up with that all on their own without any knowledge of being told that's what she was wearing, I'd say it was significant.

I believe your thinking is too rigid, and not accounting for how people's memories are processed.

Follow up question, was there in fact a woman who looked significantly like Laci who was pregnant walking a golden retriever and wearing black pants and a white top? Because surely that woman would have come forward. I honestly don't know the answer to that.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/49532437-post1213.html

Old 09-21-2017, 06:00 PM

35,508 posts, read 17,728,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
There was a second woman, Dempewolf, who gave birth in January and also walked a dog in that park. It wasn't a retriever but was a mid-sized brown dog.

LACI PETERSON - DEMPEWOLF HYPNOTIZED
Yes, thank you, that was my post quoted. I can't determine if she was wearing black pants and a white top - has that been determined? It seems she can't remember whether she was walking that morning, but it would be interesting to know if she had a pregnancy outfit that she regularly wore that was black pants and a white top.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:41 PM

26,646 posts, read 13,611,435 times
Quote:
Have you ever changed your pants after a walk? Very reasonable.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:44 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,428,109 times
Quote:
Yes, thank you, that was my post quoted. I can't determine if she was wearing black pants and a white top - has that been determined? It seems she can't remember whether she was walking that morning, but it would be interesting to know if she had a pregnancy outfit that she regularly wore that was black pants and a white top.
Your link was about a woman who had her baby before Laci went missing. The second one, Kristen Dempewolf, had hers around Jan 10, but was hypnotized by an uncertified hypnotist to recall the day Laci went missing, so she wasn't allowed to testify. I don't recall ever hearing what she remembered, but it must have been favorable to the prosecution since they wanted her to testify.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:22 PM

164 posts, read 127,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Have you ever changed your pants after a walk? Very reasonable.
What you were proposing was an explanation for why McKenzie was found with a leash attached, a second time when Scott Peterson returned. So, let's keep that in context. You suggested Laci would have been either too much in a hurry or distracted to remove the leash while she went to confront the burglars.

My objection to this theory is that it doesn't make sense she would have had time to change her clothes between putting McKenzie behind the gate and a confrontation if she saw burglars when she returned from a walk. This doesn't fly.

And as has been mentioned before, a very pregnant woman, alone without the protection of her husband, family, friends, or neighbors is going to call the police if she suspects anything is amiss or the possibility a crime is taking place, instead of endanger herself by confronting scruffy, shady, suspicious-looking men.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:15 PM

26,646 posts, read 13,611,435 times
Quote:
What you were proposing was an explanation for why McKenzie was found with a leash attached, a second time when Scott Peterson returned. So, let's keep that in context. You suggested Laci would have been either too much in a hurry or distracted to remove the leash while she went to confront the burglars.

My objection to this theory is that it doesn't make sense she would have had time to change her clothes between putting McKenzie behind the gate and a confrontation if she saw burglars when she returned from a walk. This doesn't fly.
I wasn't there so I don't know what happened but I do think that the numerous witnesses who claimed to have seen Laci on that morning should have been taken more seriously.

I don't believe that something that can be changed so quickly and easily such as clothing should be used as hard evidence.

It also sounds like the dog was one that got out frequently so the dog being out prior to a walk with his leash on doesn't seem out of the question.

Quote:
And as has been mentioned before, a very pregnant woman, alone without the protection of her husband, family, friends, or neighbors is going to call the police if she suspects anything is amiss or the possibility a crime is taking place, instead of endanger herself by confronting scruffy, shady, suspicious-looking men.
That's an assumption. I have known some young, naïve women who might do something just like that.

Neither one of us knows what happened to Laci. The case was circumstantial.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:11 AM

72 posts, read 55,100 times
Quote:
Likewise. What does it matter whether he did it for the "purpose" of obtaining a conviction? The fact is, the jury was facing being hung, and to solve the problem of this one guy who wouldn't change his mind to the majority guilty opinion, he removed him from the jury.

Don't you think ALL hung juries have one (maybe several) jurors who are extremely uncomfortable and would rather be removed than face the fury of the other jurors who believe in guilt and want to go home?

They do, is the answer. They are uncomfortable. So was this guy. How was that different, that he should be let out of the obligation of voting his conscience?
That presupposes that the judge knew that the alternate that he would seat on the jury would vote along with the remaining jurors. How could he know that? As far as he knew, the new juror could have been an obstacle to the process too. The jury foreman did not think that Scott was innocent, he couldn't make up his mind and insisted on going over the same evidence again and again. It wasn't that he wanted to review evidence that the other jurors objected to, he wanted to keep rehashing the same thing over and over and couldn't make a decision. When juries don't agree or are stuck in deliberations, they go to the judge, the judge will instruct them to continue to deliberate. This is of course up to the discretion of the judge, but this process usually repeats several times before a judge will declare a mistrial. In this case the jury foreman asked to get off of the case, what is the judge supposed to do say no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime