Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 07:10 PM

684 posts, read 868,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I agree. That is pretty bizarre and no way could it happen like that. Here's another scenario that is quite possible.

This twine (or plastic strip) could very easily knotted itself in the water. Don't laugh. It could happen. The tides such as they are and the movement of water could very easily have played a part in this twine becoming wound around the neck. Liken it to clothes in a washing machine.

Have you ever had a long sleeved shirt get wound around another article of clothing during the wash cycle only to discover it when you go to pull the clothes out of the washer? You have to unwind one piece of clothing to set the sleeve free. The agitation of the machine and the clothes moving around in the water causes this. So the very same thing can happen in the ocean. When debris is being pushed and pulled with the tide and an object comes up to it, the water swirling around can very easily cause something as light and flexible as twine, strapping or string to knot itself around the larger object.
There were two knots in the twine. The first knot made was a standard overhand knot. The next knot was a classic bow-tie knot.

That combination is what people use when they wrap ribbon around presents and then knot it up and make it look pretty.

Are you claiming the ocean first tied an overhand knot around Conner's neck and then decided to pretty-up its handiwork with a bow-tie knot before it dumped his little body on land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 07:12 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,012,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
Please don't pretend that there was clear, unyielding and sufficient evidence to convict Scott of premeditated murder if you are not willing to go through it.

the jury thought so, didn't they convict him?

Old 05-04-2015, 07:14 PM

2,503 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I'm reading the State's Brief (thanks to whomever provided that link) and am about 20% of the way thru. Fascinating. I had forgotten a lot of the details. Granted, it is the Respondent's brief, but I'm convinced. He certainly knew where Laci was because he rented something like 5 different cars and drove over there regularly. Didn't stop to talk to anyone, just drove past like he was checking for something.

I guess there isn't one piece of smoking gun evidence, but put it all together, and it certainly adds up to be convincing.

Exactly. And let's Not forget her body washed up on shore right near where
he'd been "fishing".
That's all I needed to hear to know he did it...imo

Old 05-04-2015, 07:23 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Quote:
There were two knots in the twine. The first knot made was a standard overhand knot. The next knot was a classic bow-tie knot.

That combination is what people use when they wrap ribbon around presents and then knot it up and make it look pretty.

Are you claiming the ocean first tied an overhand knot around Conner's neck and then decided to pretty-up its handiwork with a bow-tie knot before it dumped his little body on land?
No, of course I'm not. What I am suggesting is that the knots were already in the "twine" (or plastic or whatever they called it). Through the movement of the ocean, this became entangled on the free floating body, catching itself over the head, twisting and then looping under the arm.

I apologize for my remarks if they offend anyone. I know we're discussing a human being here and a baby, at that. I don't mean to make light of it. It's a very sad situation. I just wanted to mention that.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the jury thought so, didn't they convict him?
Yes, and the verdict accuracy of juries has a horrendous track record. Moreover, that track record absolutely holds true for death penalty verdicts, even though the standard of proof rises to "NO lingering doubt" instead of the more mundane standard of "proof beyond a reasonable doubt".

I suspect it will surprise you to know that for every 11 defendants that are convicted and sentenced to death, 1 defendant is eventually exonerated and set free.

Let me sum that up for you: 1 out of 11 sent to death row is innocent yet is wrongfully convicted based on the handiwork of jurors. That is a 9.1% error rate for jury verdict in the most serious of crimes.

Pardon me for not thinking much of the ability of our juries to assess, weigh and grade evidence presented to them in trials.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:26 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
As for the string around the baby's neck, Laci's body and clothing and the duct tape found fastened to her pants and the baby's body all had barnacles. The twine on Conner's neck and in the debris around his body did not have any barnacles.

I've not finished that part of the case document yet to know if that means anything. Maybe barnacles wouldn't adhere to that type of material? I'll post back if the document has a theory on that.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
No, of course I'm not. What I am suggesting is that the knots were already in the "twine" (or plastic or whatever they called it). Through the movement of the ocean, this became entangled on the free floating body, catching itself over the head, twisting and then looping under the arm.

I apologize for my remarks if they offend anyone. I know we're discussing a human being here and a baby, at that. I don't mean to make light of it. It's a very sad situation. I just wanted to mention that.
(snappy salute)

I was not offended at all. You can set any such thought aside.

What remains is the fact that the circumference of the twice-knotted circle of twine that had to be cut off Conner's neck was significantly smaller than the circumference of his head.

When the law of physics is violated, twelve jurors should be smart enough to figure out that unless Scott cut Conner out of Laci's body -- zero evidence that happened -- he sure as heck did not tie that circle of twine around Conner's neck.

As I said, that circle of twine is exonerating evidence.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
Exactly. And let's Not forget her body washed up on shore right near where
he'd been "fishing".
That's all I needed to hear to know he did it...imo

From the git go, the whole world knew where Scott was that day. If someone wanted to frame Scott, they would absolutely have known exactly where to go to dump the bodies so as to achieve that end.

(Prime alternative suspects were the men who burglarized the Medina's residence on the morning of the very day (Xmas Eve) that Laci went missing. And for those who might have forgotten, Laci and Scott's home is directly across from the Medina's residence. )

Old 05-04-2015, 07:57 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Quote:
(snappy salute)

I was not offended at all. You can set any such thought aside.

What remains is the fact that the circumference of the twice-knotted circle of twine that had to be cut off Conner's neck was significantly smaller than the circumference of his head.

When the law of physics is violated, twelve jurors should be smart enough to figure out that unless Scott cut Conner out of Laci's body -- zero evidence that happened -- he sure as heck did not tie that circle of twine around Conner's neck.

As I said, that circle of twine is exonerating evidence.
(Thank you. Just wanted to make sure others weren't, as well. )

Exonerating evidence? I'm still not buying it. You're going to have to do better to convince me. After looking at the re-enactment photo, I believe that piece of twine was raffia. The type used in gift wrapping. From the looks of it, the twine was looped, not tied around the neck. There is a way this can happen, what with the movement of the water and buoyancy of the body.

I am still convinced this was merely debris that tangled itself onto the infant.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
(Thank you. Just wanted to make sure others weren't, as well. )

Exonerating evidence? I'm still not buying it. You're going to have to do better to convince me. After looking at the re-enactment photo, I believe that piece of twine was raffia. The type used in gift wrapping. From the looks of it, the twine was looped, not tied around the neck. There is a way this can happen, what with the movement of the water and buoyancy of the body.

I am still convinced this was merely debris that tangled itself onto the infant.

The twine was not just tangled, it contained two very specific knots, one of which was very tight; i.e., the overhand knot.

Testimony of Pin Kyo, the evidence technician for the twine.
Kyo on direct:

256. Showing you 253 D.
257. And this is a photographs of the twine-like material, plastic
material after I remove from the Ziploc bag.
258. And at the bottom do we see your handwriting identifying this
particular item?
259. That's correct. This is the item, Rich 1. My case number, the
day that I examine, with my initials.
260. And looking to the left of that particular item, is there some
kind of place where the -- appears to be some type of overlap or curling of the
material towards the end of the left?
261. It's almost like a bow-like knot, but it's the very loose knot,
not a very tight knot.
262. Showing you -- did you take a close-up photograph of that?
263. Yes, I did.
264. Looking at 253 E.
265. As you can see it's look like a bow, but the way it tie is very
loosely tied.
266. And did you take that knot out or the bow out at some point in
time?
267. Yes.
268. Did you have any difficulty with it?
269. No difficulty with that.
270. Did you also try to see what the width of this type of material
was?
271. Yes.
272. Showing you 250 F (sic).
273. The twine-like material, when I peeled it and stretch it out,
this is a photograph of that material over here, and it's approximately six inch
wide.
274. Showing you 250 G (sic), does this show the left end of that
material in the photographs after you've taken the bow out?
275. That's correct. And you can see there's a -- a knot. This is a
very tight overhand knot that's left after the bow is taken out.
276. And that particular knot, did it have anything to do with that
bow?
277. No.
278. Did you ever try to or attempt to take or take that knot out of
the twine?
279. I didn't try to unknot that one because pretty tight.
280. It was pretty tight?
281. Right.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime