U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 08:04 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,481,392 times

Advertisements

This interested me because many people on this forum seem rightfully frustrated at leaving a crime unsolved and tend to finger the most likely culprit, although there is not enough evidence to convict.
There really are innocent people in prisons, people for whom some judge or jury thought there was enough evidence to convict.

There are times in which you just cannot close that book on a crime.
If there are innocent people who are convicted of murder, how many innocents are now locked up for lesser crimes in which not such care is given as with a murder?

Report Shows High Number of Unsolved Murders in U.S. - 8 News NOW

Each year 6,000 killers get away with murder in America. That's according to a study of FBI records.

Unsolved homicide rate climbs in U.S. » Times Record News

Despite dramatic improvements in DNA analysis and forensic science, police fail to make an arrest in more than one-third of all homicides. National clearance rates for murder and manslaughter have fallen from about 90 percent in the 1960s to below 65 percent in recent years.

I don't think the police are becoming inept, I think there may be fewer innocent people convicted because of all the advances in forensics. I also think, years back, people were more certain of the guilt of a 'person of interest'. There are other reasons given in the article.

Following are some odd unsolved crimes:
The 5 Creepiest Unsolved Crimes Nobody Can Explain | Cracked.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 08:16 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,722,131 times
Often there is an overwhelming amount of circumstantial evidence...take several recent cases...."Baby Ayla" is a good example....basically the police "know" who did it....this little girl did not just disappear...she was not "stolen" out of her bed by a random stranger.

It would be frustrating to be a police officer....and then if you do arrest....the bar is so high now....take Casey Anthony...."not guilty"....does anyone really believe the story presented by Baez? No....but I guess the jury felt like it could not be ruled out...

Old 06-16-2012, 03:02 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,293,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Often there is an overwhelming amount of circumstantial evidence...take several recent cases...."Baby Ayla" is a good example....basically the police "know" who did it....this little girl did not just disappear...she was not "stolen" out of her bed by a random stranger.

It would be frustrating to be a police officer....and then if you do arrest....the bar is so high now....take Casey Anthony...."not guilty"....does anyone really believe the story presented by Baez? No....but I guess the jury felt like it could not be ruled out...

Back in the "olden days" often all they had was circumstantial evidence.

Even now, DNA experts advise LE that the discovery of someone's DNA at a crime scene is proof of actual guilt, and caution that there must also be compelling circumstantial evidence to attempt a conviction.

The public in general places too much faith on the presence of DNA. Now testing is becoming so advanced they are finding random DNA everywhere and it is no longer considered proof of anything, all by itself.

Detectives won't find themselves out of a job any time soon - DNA may help confirm their theories but they have to build the theories first. They do get it wrong, but the court system is supposed to weed that out. Maybe it worked in the CA case, I don't know...? I didn't really follow that closely.

What has happened in the JBR case is wrong too. Mary Lacy took junk DNA science and used it to exonerate the Ramseys, despite MOUNTAINS of circumstantial evidence saying otherwise. End result? Most Americans think they are innocent.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:23 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,349,377 times
Even now it's often all they have. Circumstantial evidence, I mean. And that is more than good enough in a lot of cases.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:30 PM

33,896 posts, read 42,133,814 times
Of the unsolved ones how many have witnesses that just won't come forward and corroborate what the investigators know? It's a problem in DC and Baltimore and I imagine across the country.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:55 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,020,271 times
I'm still angry that they never arrested Celena Cass's stepfather. She's the girl from NH.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,321,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Casey Anthony was acquitted because the DA failed to meet the burden of proof. Having watched a documentary on the case, I believe Anthony was 100% guilty, but the prosecution jumped on charges too quickly and allowed a soulless murderess to walk free as a result. Why nobody lost their job over that debacle is far beyond my comprehension.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:05 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,516,359 times
Casey Anthony was acquitted because the DA failed to meet the burden of proof. Having watched a documentary on the case, I believe Anthony was 100% guilty, but the prosecution jumped on charges too quickly and allowed a soulless murderess to walk free as a result. Why nobody lost their job over that debacle is far beyond my comprehension

I'm not sure what else they coud have done. Their case seemed 100% solid.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime