Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 02:24 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,942,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler92 View Post
Okay, so I am assuming that these %'s are of people who are following/followed these cases, or at least have an opinion on it? Technically, it's not 95% of ALL Americans think Drew Peterson is guilty, it's 95% of Americans who have an opinion of the case. Right?
No poll is a percentage of ALL AMERICANS. That is the same with the national unemployment figures each month .... 60,000 households across America are polled by the Bureau of Labor Statistics and that is why our unemployment numbers the federal government puts out each month is a farce.

Polls depend so much on the wording ... of the people polled and I don't have the number of people in the Drew Peterson poll ... but 95% think he is guilty ... heck it could have been 100 people or 100,000 for all I know.

No company handling polling, Gallup, Rasmussen, polls ALL AMERICANS. Same with Nielsen TV ratings, every home in America with a TV is not keeping a Nielsen diary on the TV shows they watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 01:09 AM

297 posts, read 518,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
No poll is a percentage of ALL AMERICANS. That is the same with the national unemployment figures each month .... 60,000 households across America are polled by the Bureau of Labor Statistics and that is why our unemployment numbers the federal government puts out each month is a farce.

Polls depend so much on the wording ... of the people polled and I don't have the number of people in the Drew Peterson poll ... but 95% think he is guilty ... heck it could have been 100 people or 100,000 for all I know.

No company handling polling, Gallup, Rasmussen, polls ALL AMERICANS. Same with Nielsen TV ratings, every home in America with a TV is not keeping a Nielsen diary on the TV shows they watch.
I know how polling works. I know that a small sample size can represent millions of people. But if someone asked me, "Do you think Amanda Knox is guilty or innocent?" I could not answer that question because I don't know anything about the case. I have no opinion on that---But that isn't an choice. So I would be "forced" to choose guilty or innocent. The fact that it didn't have a "No opinion" choice (which most polls do have) just shows me that the poll is skewed. Does 95% of the country even know who Drew Peterson is? I'm not saying it's not a high-profile case, but I never thought it was that well-known. What if they asked someone about Peterson, and the person said, "Who?" and the interviewer said, "He's going on trial soon for killing his wife." Most people would say guilty right there. Okay, I know I'm over-thinking this, HAHA. But I think it would be way more accurate if it was like, "% of Americans have an opinion on the X case. % believe he's guilty, % believe he's innocent".

Old 07-12-2012, 01:58 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,942,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler92 View Post
I know how polling works. I know that a small sample size can represent millions of people. But if someone asked me, "Do you think Amanda Knox is guilty or innocent?" I could not answer that question because I don't know anything about the case. I have no opinion on that---But that isn't an choice. So I would be "forced" to choose guilty or innocent. The fact that it didn't have a "No opinion" choice (which most polls do have) just shows me that the poll is skewed. Does 95% of the country even know who Drew Peterson is? I'm not saying it's not a high-profile case, but I never thought it was that well-known. What if they asked someone about Peterson, and the person said, "Who?" and the interviewer said, "He's going on trial soon for killing his wife." Most people would say guilty right there. Okay, I know I'm over-thinking this, HAHA. But I think it would be way more accurate if it was like, "% of Americans have an opinion on the X case. % believe he's guilty, % believe he's innocent".
If you know how polls work ... yes you are over-thinking this.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:38 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,497,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
have to wait to rep u again.

Went to look for other true crime books at "books- a- million" yesterday, there are 2 new baez /anthony case books out.. Sickening.

last year when they interviewed some of the jurors on that case, they really seemed clueless. Wanting every single element of a crime proven. It is reasonable doubt , not ALL doubt that must be proven. This is a fine point apparently lost on the jury

Perhaps the prosecutor over-reached also. IMO the media needs to be more responsible. NG reporting and harping on this all in 2008 probably didnt help (do any of us believe the jurors dont watch NG?...one of them reportedly played Farmville on FB all day for entertainment).

Most educated jurors know a criminal defense attorney is just doing his job to zealously defend his client (whether this is right or wrong), but jurors who were "charmed" by Baez, really aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, imo

Trial atty Beth Karas mentioned a case for jury reform. I think she is right on the mark. Jurors who can read and deliberate, and don't sit home watching reality tv all day would be a great start.
Sadly, so many called to jury on criminal cases can't afford the financial loss and find an excuse. They don't want to use personal or vacation time for the work absense.

Don't forget who selects jurors. Illiteracy could work for or against an attorney. Bullies, narcissists and socipaths get called to jury too, someone with a timid personality can easily be railroaded.

Last edited by virgode; 07-12-2012 at 06:55 AM..

Old 07-14-2012, 05:31 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,869,476 times
I rarely think much about it these days, there is a whole years worth of other missing children out there that need and deserve justice, life goes on.........

Old 07-14-2012, 07:39 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,179,026 times
Nope, I was sick of hearing about it and despite the entire thing being convoluted and contradictory at times, there apparently was not enough evidence (in the jury's eyes) to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that she was guilty of killing her kid for any reason. The media was relentless during the whole thing, basically convicting someone before they were proven guilty (and they weren't proven guilty) and to me that was very wrong. It also made me think much less of Nancy Grace than I used to, I found her interesting before the whole thing and now I think she's just a well-paid attention seeker.

Casey Anthony is no doubt not in a much better position than she was while in jail, so I'm not really sure why people are still in a tizzy about it. Just because she's not in jail doesn't mean she's "free", she's basically a prison in her own home (wherever that happens to be), will not ever be able to go unrecognized while in in public, and probably will never be able to get a decent job because of her infamy. Not much better than being in prison or being dead, in my opinion.

I would like to think that Caylee is in a better place, whatever happened. We'll never know.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:23 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,072,504 times
They really need to shut NG up, seriously.
IMO, they might have been able to do a much more complete investigation, and take their time but NG and her co-horts had people out for someone's blood...so things were rushed.
I really think they should have gone afet CA for neglect and whatnot, seperately from the other charges,a nd then take their time with the rest.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:48 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,497,719 times
As NG would say...'The devils dancing'.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:16 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,869,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
They really need to shut NG up, seriously.
IMO, they might have been able to do a much more complete investigation, and take their time but NG and her co-horts had people out for someone's blood...so things were rushed.
I really think they should have gone afet CA for neglect and whatnot, seperately from the other charges,a nd then take their time with the rest.
Who are THEY and are you suggesting our right to frreedom of the press and freedom of speech be surpressed by THEM??? I would never support any effort to "Shut NG up" even if she is a disgraced prosecuter turned shock jock for the cheap entertainment of the masses of armchair detectives out there.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:57 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,132,111 times
Quite frankly, and as a FL resident long before Caylee there was Jessica Lunsford which I find far more disturbing of a crime. Don't get me wrong, any child being murdered is upsetting. With that said, cold and callous as it may seem I believe Caylee was chloroformed, thus rendering her possibly semi-concious or even knocked out prior to her death.

This wasn't the case with Jessica, she was raped and buried alive...fully awake. It's disgusting to even read the Lunsford autopsy details, she was raped and traces of crack cocaine were discovered on the body plus the were tears in the garbage bags indicating she was fighting to get out after getting buried. I find it even more disturbing that Sheriff's Deputies were within ear shot of Jessica in that trailer and if they had just looked a little harder, jessica would be alive and safe today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime