U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2012, 10:43 AM

1,617 posts, read 1,634,145 times

Advertisements

After reading this link, what are your thoughts? I think, personally, this is a tough call; however, I think that the sentencing should certainly be on a case-by case basis -- but Supreme Court ruled otherwise:

Time to deal on life sentences for kids - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 11:24 AM

904 posts, read 1,844,498 times
This is such a difficult call on so many levels. A kid from my hometown raped and murdered a 3 years old many years ago. I think he was 15 at the time. He was sent to prison for life. If his sentence is overturned and he gets out of jail now, as an almost 50 year old man, what kind of life would he live? He has never lived as an adult outside of prison. He would have no way of knowing how to get a job, no job skills, no education, nothing. I can only assume he would reoffend and be back in prison eventually. Why should society have to suffer additional crimes by this guy who is, at this point, a product of the system?

At the same time I think about children who commit crimes and I do wonder if they are truely capable of knowing the full consequences of their actions. I don't think kids who are 15, 16, 17 years old really grasp the fullness of their actions.

Like I said...a tough call.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:14 PM

18,868 posts, read 16,050,669 times
What is really interesting about this, is about 40 years ago, when I was in college...I did a report on Juvenilles who kill and rape. There was hardly ANY cases to look at...that is what is so scary about this, because for my paper, I remember there were only about 10 cases, and I really had to search to find those...pre-internet days...how did we ever manage? Anyway, I don't think that kids should get a death penalty...but they really have to have some sort of intensive rehabilitation program, because current prison, is not rehabilitation oriented. I have seen success with youth felons in a boot camp program, and been very impressed with the outcome...of some kids...but the hard core ones, already gang affliated, are pretty much on a single minded track, unfortunately.

Don't know if anyone knew this...but all youth felons, who are identified as "Special Education", prior to incarceration are eligible to recieve Special Education services in prison, until age 22. I used to work in a prison, with these kids, helping them get their HS diploma, or GED.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:06 PM

827 posts, read 1,004,603 times
VBmom
If the 3 year old was your child I bet you would be singing a different tune.Its not a tough call let him rot in jail

Old 07-10-2012, 11:27 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,289,160 times
If they had no direct involvement like wielding and using the weapon that killed, I think they deserve another chance, if they behave and get an education in prison.

The trouble with the law before the SC decision is a 15 or 16 year old could be along for the ride with someone else and get LWOP'd just for a robbery that went bad w/o actually doing the killing. it should be on a case by case basis.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:33 AM

904 posts, read 1,844,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
VBmom
If the 3 year old was your child I bet you would be singing a different tune.Its not a tough call let him rot in jail
Steve,
I am sure I would, but let me qualify. I don't think this guy should ever get out. I just think that there are a lot of factors to look at and, in the past, I am not sure they all were. I have had teenagers who are now young adults. I have watched them both make some pretty irrational choices without fully understanding the consequences of their actions. Fortunately, none of their poor choices were criminal. While not all teenagers commit horrible crimes, many make poor choices and I think we are just beginning to understand how different their brains are from adults. Believe me, I think anyone who commits a crime should be punished, but we need to look at teenages, especially young teenagers, as a little different than a 25 year old's. Their treatment in the court system and in the criminal justice systems needs to be different than that of a 25 year old as well. Those who have been in prison for most of their life already should probably not be let out. The "kid" of which I speak "helped" search for the missing child for 3 days before "finding" her body.
He showed no remorse at the time and never has. He is where he should be.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:56 AM

6,927 posts, read 2,894,696 times
"These issues have been important enough to divide us; now that the Supreme Court has ruled, they should unite us". Very interesting read and quite the statement to end with.

I don't believe a teenager of his age knows what it's actually like to take a human life. He doesn't fully acknowledge the consequences of his actions & how they will effects other family members, friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc...

The reasons for his actions weren't fully explained so we don't know why he committed this heinous crime. I don't believe in sending a person of his age in a Knievel detention enter should then be placed into an adult prison at a tender age of of 16 or 17 only to become some body's b****. I also believe Boot Camp is a great alternative.

I know here in MA you can get your GED, you Associates Degree, or Bachelors Degree. Your also trained on different skills because they make you work to earn you keep. You can be repairing cars, working in the kitchen, working in the laundry room just to name a few. They also offer these in the only women's prison in MA. This way your won't be more tempted to re-offend on the outside. The prison system here doesn't want you sitting around idol just laying in your bunk gaining weight. I should rectify that the prisons that hold prisoners who commit non- violent crimes which are much smaller you do stay locked up 23 hours a day but where the prison where major crime is committed they like to keep you busy.

Again, I stick by my opinion that a young teenager of his age doesn't fully know what it means to take a human life and it never mentions in the article why he did what he did!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime