U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 01:10 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,362,690 times

Advertisements

I, personally, feel that a little cruel & unusual is not that wrong if it proves more effective than our kind & usual punishments for criminals. Is creativity not good? Is effectiveness not good??? I used to run a support group for teenagers who had been sexually assaulted, and they all talked one day about ways they would like their assailants punished. The most naive, girliest, shyest group member said she wanted to fix her assailant to a wall with a barbecue fork through his wedding tackle, then set the house on fire, walk outside and watch it burn. Wow!!! Definitely not a rehabilitation-oriented program, but it struck me that she was the only one on earth who could really tell us how to make his punishment fit her crime.

My suggestion: Now that Lake Lou Yaeger is infested with wedding-tackle-eating Pacu fish from the Amazon, maybe we should take sex offenders, de-pants them, and teabag them in the lake. The Pacus are happy and the victims are happy. And it's so much cheaper than prison.

Do you have any thoughts on what certain types of criminal deserve? What about those people who imprison their children in dog crates in the backyard? What would really send a message to street punks who beat and rob old people on their way home from Bible study? Which criminal group do you feel is under-served by the justice system? What do they truly need, in your eyes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 09:02 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,762,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I, personally, feel that a little cruel & unusual is not that wrong if it proves more effective than our kind & usual punishments for criminals. Is creativity not good? Is effectiveness not good??? I used to run a support group for teenagers who had been sexually assaulted, and they all talked one day about ways they would like their assailants punished. The most naive, girliest, shyest group member said she wanted to fix her assailant to a wall with a barbecue fork through his wedding tackle, then set the house on fire, walk outside and watch it burn. Wow!!! Definitely not a rehabilitation-oriented program, but it struck me that she was the only one on earth who could really tell us how to make his punishment fit her crime.

My suggestion: Now that Lake Lou Yaeger is infested with wedding-tackle-eating Pacu fish from the Amazon, maybe we should take sex offenders, de-pants them, and teabag them in the lake. The Pacus are happy and the victims are happy. And it's so much cheaper than prison.

Do you have any thoughts on what certain types of criminal deserve? What about those people who imprison their children in dog crates in the backyard? What would really send a message to street punks who beat and rob old people on their way home from Bible study? Which criminal group do you feel is under-served by the justice system? What do they truly need, in your eyes?
Well for one, I think it's an awful idea that serves no real purpose..vengence maybe but that's short lived at best.
There are far too many people who have been found to be not guilty of crime who have sat on edeath row for years...think about it

Old 07-29-2012, 05:19 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,362,690 times
You don't think it's worth it to come up with new ways of dealing with crime? Especially since you just implied yourself that the justice system isn't working? I'm not talking about abandoning due process. I'm talking about giving it a vitamin shot.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:39 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,827,052 times
My feeling on sex offenders is that after they serve their jail sentence they need to kept in another facility that is not a jail but they are not allowed to leave the premises without supervision. It is not possible to alter their thinking they will always be dangerous.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:59 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,291,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post

My guess is you are a sadistic person trying to look for some justification to get your rocks off.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:46 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,762,576 times
Sex offender is too board a definition. In some states oral sex is on the books as a sex offense.

Also, in many states all it takes is an accuser's statement and no physical evidence, if the accuser is under 13 OR IF they CLAIM to have been under 13, when an incident supposedly happened. This opens things up for all sorts of false accusations, and often people accused of such crimes can't afford a decent lawyer versed in those type of allegation. Public defenders overworked and underpaid, often just want to push plea deals

Old 07-30-2012, 07:26 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,845,715 times
i don't know about dragging us back to the days of vigilante justice. letting the punishment fit the crime is a nice idea, but i am reminded of the saying "if everyone believed in an eye for an eye we'd all be blind".

maybe in absolutely iron-clad cases, where there is video or DNA evidence, i could see punishing sex offenders in baroque ways. i personally think the death penalty should be brought in cases where the victim of a sexual assault is very young, if there is kidnapping involved, or if the victim is very old. i am not saying that a middle aged woman isn't defenseless, or is less worthy, but a child or an old lady, come on. there is really no physical contest. if a person is absolutely defenseless like a child or a bedridden old lady or even a physically or mentally handicapped person, there should definitely be the death penalty. i don't think someone who shot someone in the committing of an armed robbery is as dangerous as someone like a sexual predator.

and you forget maybe that in the prisons, they have their own way of dealing with pedophiles and the like. i don't think you could better that, really. but in general, i think becoming more medieval in our punishments could prove to be a slippery moral slope that i don't think we can afford to take as a country.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:09 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,467,780 times
My feeling on sex offenders is that after they serve their jail sentence they need to kept in another facility that is not a jail but they are not allowed to leave the premises without supervision. It is not possible to alter their thinking they will always be dangerous.

For the most part, this option could fall under the civil commitment controversy.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:51 PM

9,917 posts, read 9,314,928 times
I watched City Confidential a few weeks ago ... I love Paul Winfield narrating that show RIP Paul.

A small town with a population of just over 400 ... Skidmore, Missouri ... had a bully, the local tough guy. He was arrested more that 20 times on charges of arson and rape and always walked ... returning to harass the people of Skidmore. One of his children was caught stealing candy from the only Mom & Pop's store in the little town. Instead of punishing his child he shot the store owner in the neck. Again he was arrested and released.

That was the straw that broke the camels back ... as the bully sat in his truck outside the local pool hall he was gunned down. The truck was surrounded by 40 local men ... they had enough! The entire town clammed up ... no weapons were ever found and no killer was ever caught. They didn't have local police and had to depend on county ... all weapons in the town was checked by ballistics and none matched.

This town had that planned, Paul Winfield said perhaps the blacksmith melted the weapons used down but that was just speculation on his part. But not a soul talked to this day.

The bully's widow tried to sue the little town for a million dollars but ended up dropping the lawsuit ... Skidmore didn't have a million dollars. But they did have frontier justice.

City Confidential: Skidmore - Frontier Justice

Old 07-31-2012, 11:48 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,761,566 times
When I worked at the prison...I remember one day driving to work...thinking about how much fun I had the previous night...and thinking about the people in prison...never having any fun like that...but...they must like prison, or something...because so many are repeat offenders. Prison is obviously not a deterrent to crime.

That being said...if there is no doubt regarding guilt..as in Jessica's killer....I say...any punishment is suitable. He raped that beautiful sweet little girl, and buried her alive. He was a previous sex offender...they should have castrated and hung him...she would still be alive.

What punishment is cruel enough...I say cut him with razor blades...and throw him in a tank with alligators...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or