U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which of these trials were you most captivated by?
OJ Simpson 8 25.00%
George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin 0 0%
Casey Anthony 8 25.00%
Amanda Knox 3 9.38%
Rodney King / Police Officers 1 3.13%
Joran Van Der Sloot/Natalie Holloway 1 3.13%
Scott Peterson 3 9.38%
John Edwards 1 3.13%
Ramos and Campean (Border Patrol shooting) 0 0%
DC Sniper shooters 3 9.38%
Tim McVeigh and Terry Nichols 2 6.25%
Slobodan Milosevic war crimes 0 0%
Bill Clinton's impeachment 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 06:05 PM

14,755 posts, read 14,152,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I'm going with Hollaway and Van Der Sloot. The guy lied beyond belief. He was caught on video admitting things that tied him to the crime yet because dad was a judge he was able to get away with all kinds of mess. I feel for Natalie's parents, traveling back and forth trying to find answers while Van Der Sloot partied it up only to kill another girl which finally landed him in prison. Ughhh!
Truthfully, I really feel for the Hollaways and wonder how they get on with their lives in a high functioning manner. No tangible evidence has ever turned up, has it? Unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 01:23 PM

1,071 posts, read 678,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Which of these high profile cases / high profile criminal trials in the past 20 years did you find most captivating???
The proper word to use is ANGRY!!!!!

Several of them made me ANGRY! O.J. SIMPSON, because he got away with it......Casey Anthony, for the same reason, and Joran V., but at least, he is where he belongs.....and I hope forever, if his rich family do not buy off the Peruvian courts....

Old 08-03-2012, 01:28 PM

1,071 posts, read 678,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
I voted Casey Anthony. I never for once understood Nancy Grace or other attorney commentary that criticized Jose Baez's performance. Unlike OJ's gimmicky "if it doesn't fit, you must acquit", Baez was methodical and masterfull in dismantling the State's case against CA right down to his posture, facial expressions, composure and confidence. It was beyond textbook defense; something they don't teach in a textbook for in order to sell the jury on a reasonable doubt, he must sell himself, he is the vehicle, on which the jury will determine the outcome. He was graceful in his mannerism and very endearing to the jury and brought to life the age old saying, "He could've sold ice to an eskimo". Some may not like him, most don't like the outcome and a killer most certainly walked, but he provided the best defense the State of FL would pay for....he did his job.
I, wholeheartedly, agree with you.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:08 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,767,501 times
The Michael Peterson trial in Raleigh-Durham, NC.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:12 PM

14,755 posts, read 14,152,219 times
I see the OJ trial getting a lot of votes thus far. It was too "Hollywood" which, to me, watered down its interest value. It was also more of a circus than the others. Poor Marcia Clark and Christopher Darden ... they seemed wiped out after that trial. However, look at what a "full" life Johnny Cochran(e) lived after his victory. Oh, well. I also wonder how the conscience of the jurors is faring. I never watched it for any prolonged periods of time. However, what a cast of characters - Kado Kalin and the Hispanic housekeeper, among others ...

Old 08-03-2012, 10:15 PM

4,627 posts, read 7,037,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
We forgot one. I forgot the names, but the Rutgers student of Indian descent who sent his roommate's sexual encounter streaming on the internet, causing that kid to jump of the George Washington Bridge. That little pr!ck got off easy. I saw "proximate cause" (a term learned in a Bus. Law course) and that pharmacy student's a$$ should have seen a good bit of jail time. I didn't watch the trial, but remember the verdict.

Let's face it. We live in a country with a perverted justice system...one which is too lenient on criminal matters and too harsh on civil matters.
This is a slipppery slope argument. So basically if you hurt someones feeling and they commit suicide, you should be responsible for murder or manslaughter? There have been similar cases that have been dismissed, where people in Missouri wrote hateful comments on a teenage girls' Myspace account and actually told her to kill herself and she did. Bullying is wrong but the decision to take one's own life is an individual decision.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:17 PM

I wonder if George Zimmerman is acquitted, whether the streets will erupt in rage like after the LAPD cops were acquitted in 1992.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:32 AM

4,948 posts, read 4,699,888 times
OJ's case. If they had a video of him doing it, the jurors would have said he was still not guilty. Where did they find that jury of dumbdumbs? I only watched it here and there, but it was really off the charts.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
OJ's case. If they had a video of him doing it, the jurors would have said he was still not guilty. Where did they find that jury of dumbdumbs? I only watched it here and there, but it was really off the charts.
I was young when it happened and I just found out from this thread that 9 or the jurors on the OJ Simpson trial were black. Maybe they are biased? Whenever a black man is convicted, the media always like to mention how white the jury is. I'm sure they will have to find at least 6 blacks on the Zimmerman jury to avoid controversy....

Old 08-08-2012, 07:06 PM

194 posts, read 99,056 times
Living right in the heart of the sniper territory, I have always been captivated by their case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime