U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 12:38 PM

8,630 posts, read 8,634,893 times

Advertisements

These are a few reasons I don't watch Nancy Grace and Jane Velez-Mitchell:

1. They concentrate their coverage on missing white females, ignoring males and non-whites.

2. They ignore cases where law enforcement railroads innocent people.

3. They trivialize crimes (e.g. coverage of missing Haleigh Cummings in Florida a few years ago degenerated into farce as attention shifted to antics of "white trash relatives").

Anyone agree with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 01:28 PM

13,199 posts, read 10,601,780 times
I don't like being lead. I like reporting – I like to make up my own mind. They both thrive on sensationalism. I have not watched them for years.

I used to like the old Court TV days – where we saw more of the trial and less of the host.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:25 AM

17,601 posts, read 21,790,175 times
They both scream at the audience. Nancy Grace is especially abrasive. If I hear here shreek "Unleash the lawyers!" one one time I might be ill.

I have watched the show when there is a topic that interests me, in spite of the sensationalism and abrasive behavior.

The men in my home really can't stand her voice.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:56 AM

7,870 posts, read 10,166,828 times
I was gonna say she's like Nancy Grace's younger twin, but Sheena said it for me!

Old 09-11-2012, 08:42 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,486,089 times
I used to watch them both, until...I realized they are not about evidence, or truth. They want a public flogging, for anyone they deem "guilty". Watching them, makes me appreciate our law system, as flawed as it is, at least, we are no longer in the "Salem Witch" hunting trials.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:37 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,691,735 times
They care nothing for the truth, it's all about being sensational

Old 09-11-2012, 03:16 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,149,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The men in my home really can't stand her voice.

I can say as a man, if I had to listen to that voice every morning just go ahead and lock me up!

Because I'd find some way to silence it. Thank goodness as it is now I can change the channel.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 AM

16,785 posts, read 19,663,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

1. They concentrate their coverage on missing white females, ignoring males and non-whites.

3. They trivialize crimes (e.g. coverage of missing Haleigh Cummings in Florida a few years ago degenerated into farce as attention shifted to antics of "white trash relatives").

Anyone agree with me?
I agree with most of what you say, but they do also focus on non white children who are missing.

Regarding Haleigh Cummings, her family gave new meaning to redneck white trash, her real mother lives with and is engaged to her own stepbrother, her step- mother was a 17yr old knocked up drug addict.

Her father had an arrest record as long as your arm.

Little Haliegh didn't have much of a chance in life and that has been proven.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:48 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,726,370 times
i totally agree, and i am a white female. nancy grace is a flaming pain in the azz. this is what passes for reportage now. where the hell is the BBC? when i want to really know what is going on, i have to go to the limeys.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:35 AM

48,973 posts, read 39,438,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

Anyone agree with me?
On some points yes, but you are forgetting that they are predominantly just ratings wh*res. So they go after what is salacious and publically acceptable to launch a witch-hunt over.

1) As noted in this thread, a lot of these cases feature families that are just scum. Could you imagine if Casey Anthony had been black? A white Nancy Grace cannot publically trash someone like that and not face a backlash.

2) She has HELPED to publically try to railroad people (Duke Lacrosse team anyone?) so she sure as heck isn't going to be their protector. Note: When the Duke Lacrosse case utterly fell apart she took a few days off and came back as if it never happened. This is why I despise her.

I frankly cannot stand to hear her abrasive screeching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or