Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 10:45 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,137 times

Advertisements

Clearly it does not matter whether we live in a big city or a rural community, the same insidious crimes are happening everywhere -- hopefully the police are successful in finding this person:

Montpelier police: Man tried to lure boys into truck - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 09:58 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
Clearly it does not matter whether we live in a big city or a rural community, the same insidious crimes are happening everywhere -- hopefully the police are successful in finding this person:

Montpelier police: Man tried to lure boys into truck - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

What would they charge him with?

Glad the kids trusted their instincts and beat feet out of there.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:22 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
That happened to one of my sons when he was still quite young (approx 10), he ran up the nearest driveway...there were two men in a little car, and they had little bags of candy made up (no, it wasn't halloween) and they asked him if he wanted some, he said no and backed away, so they threw it out the window...he was very upset when he got home (shortcut through the back), I drove over to where he said it happened and found the bag of candy still there......sometimes I wonder how our lives could have been forever changed had my son gone to them...then the thinking becomes ugly, so I thank my lucky stars and put the thoughts out of my mind.....that's why it's sooooo very important the we teach our young not to approach any strangers in their cars (maybe they're asking for directions, whatever), and also to be aware of who's around them.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
That happened to one of my sons when he was still quite young (approx 10), he ran up the nearest driveway...there were two men in a little car, and they had little bags of candy made up (no, it wasn't halloween) and they asked him if he wanted some, he said no and backed away, so they threw it out the window...he was very upset when he got home (shortcut through the back), I drove over to where he said it happened and found the bag of candy still there......sometimes I wonder how our lives could have been forever changed had my son gone to them...then the thinking becomes ugly, so I thank my lucky stars and put the thoughts out of my mind.....that's why it's sooooo very important the we teach our young not to approach any strangers in their cars (maybe they're asking for directions, whatever), and also to be aware of who's around them.

For what it is worth, when my kid was small I didn't want to alarm him, but I did tell him that no adult should ever approach him about lost puppies, candy, video games, etc. Adults don't need help from children. I also told him that his parents were the strongest people imaginable, and that threats against us were lies. ( In case of some sick freak trying to threaten him with threats against us)

I'm glad your kid trusted his instincts, Purehuman.

What a shame that we have to arm our children with knowledge like this.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:45 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post

Attempted kidnap, or luring minors.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:02 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,233,802 times
Do you remember the young single mother and teacher that was killed last year?
Adult newspaper delivery guy called her to say he has car trouble, so she went to help, she had her baby with her, obviously. Ends up that guy *and his wife kidnapped her from where they met, and killed her. At least they left the child alone but good grief the world we live in.
They were caught right away, he was late for work/other job.
**Actually not sure if he was still delivering her paper or used to.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Attempted kidnap, or luring minors.

Could they make that stick? Is "luring minors" a crime where you live? I'm not sure we have that statute here, at least I've never heard of it being used. ( I'm not in LE so I don't know for sure)

I think the attempted kidnap could be a stretch unless someone was physically touched, but again, just my uneducated opinion.

I found a little lost girl once, she was about three years old. She was wearing a flimsy nightgown and it was 37 degrees out. I parked my car and went and physically picked her up because I did not want to be seen putting a small child in my car. Sad world we live in where you have to be mindful of appearances while helping someone.

LE was suspicious of me at first after I called them. They later thanked me and returned the coat I put on her.

She's fine, by the way. Still lives in the neighborhood.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:54 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post

Disclaimer:

I shall ONLY speak from California law, for I do not know any other.

MAYBE, they might be charged with nothing at all. It is true, it is possible on this investigation, no crime has been committed. However, at least there is a possibility, through the investigation, the suspects would be identified. From there, alot could be done.

On the other hand, based upon what the kids said, what the SUSPECTS said, and a whole lot of of other factors, POSSIBLY a charge of annoying and molesting a minor under the age of 16. Of course, again, depending upon statements, you might be able to make a case for attempted child molest. All depends upon the investigation, etc.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:10 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
The article included readers comments, something I always read if the news paper provides commentary. The incident apparently happened on school grounds. One poster said he was a father of boy on the soccer team and read it in the paper, the school never sent out a student/parent alert.

Surprising, a couple posters were bent out of shape at the thought the offer for a ride was anything more than a nice gesture.

As far as I can remember, strangers offering rides has been a red flag for at least 30 yrs if not longer.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:47 AM

5,296 posts, read 7,233,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
Do you remember the young single mother and teacher that was killed last year?
Adult newspaper delivery guy called her to say he has car trouble, so she went to help, she had her baby with her, obviously. Ends up that guy *and his wife kidnapped her from where they met, and killed her. At least they left the child alone but good grief the world we live in.
They were caught right away, he was late for work/other job.
**Actually not sure if he was still delivering her paper or used to.
I GOOFED

They plowed her driveway and it was early this year.

Vermont authorities to hold press conference on developments in slaying of Melissa Jenkins as newspaper reports arrest in St. Johnsbury crime - Metro - The Boston Globe

Just wanted to clear that up,,,not sure where I got the paper route idea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime