Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:09 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,621,137 times

Advertisements

The prison sentences abusers receive is sometimes just incomprehensible to me.

Like in Ottawa recently :

"A stepfather who sexually molested his teenage stepdaughter on a near nightly basis received a year in prison for each year of what a judge described Thursday as his “callous, gratuitous and control-related” abuse.

The stepfather was sentenced to seven years prison, a sentence that mirrored the seven years of sexual torment he inflicted on the girl beginning when she was just 13 years old. It continued until she was 19."

Seven years! That's all? He'll be out on parole in 3.5 years ---. For what the courts called daily "extreme violation" of his stepdaughter. It should have been 49 years at least!

Man gets 7 years for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 05:15 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,621,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedserf View Post
Animalcrazy, I am sorry for your sad young years. Teachers, friends and family members all need to have the initiative to advocate for an abused child. I alienated several family members when I stood up and responded to a young relative after she reported sexual abuse by a step parent. They all insisted the child was crazy, trouble-making, bad, a liar. I was totally shocked by their attitudes when I went to them with the information she shared. She told me, I keep trying to tell but no one believes me. They call me a liar because he's so nice and everyone likes him so much.
I turned the lot in to CPS. Some of these people still refuse to speak to me for responding to the girl's situation. She pulled me aside because she trusted me.
We have to listen to children and do our best to assist them if we see or suspect that they are in distress.
Good for you jadedserf ! I applaud you. We need more people like you in this world.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:28 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,686,405 times
What we really need in this country is a required course in how to be a parent.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:37 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,598,240 times
Million March Against Child Abuse April 2013, Washington DC & in Your State

8 hours ago

Here is the updated city list.
List of cities registered for demonstrations:

Alaska - Anchorage, Fairbanks (and surrounding areas)
Arkansas - Tuckerman
California - Bakersfield, Covina, Fresno, Los Angeles, Napa, San Francisco, Solono, Ventura, Visalia
Florida - Boynton Beach, Jacksonville, Miami, Orlando
Georgia - Atlanta
Idaho - Boise, Idaho Falls
Illinois - Algonquin, Chicago
... Kentucky - Paducah
Michigan - Bay City, Flint, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Pontiac
Minnesota - Minneapolis
Mississippi - New Albany
Missouri - Kansas City
Nevada - Carson City, Las Vegas, Reno
New Jersey - Wrightstown
New Mexico - Albuquerque
New York - Rochester, Long Island
North Carolina - Charlotte
Ohio - Cleveland, Columbus, Xenia
Oklahoma - Elk City, Sayre
Oregon - Grant Pass, Portland, Salem,
South Carolina - Conway, Myrtle Beach, Spartanburg, Westminister, Greenville
Tennessee - Knoxville, Memphis, Nashville,
Texas - Dallas, El Paso, San Antonio
Utah - Salt Lake City
Virginia - Virginia Beach
Washington - Olympia, Seattle, Spokane, Tacoma, Vancouver
Washington, D.C
West Virginia - Huntington
Wyoming - Riverton

I hope to be in either DC, Orlando or Charlotte but I am truly going to be somewhere on this day, marching for abused children everywhere. I am enlisting my youngest daughter and friends if we go to Orlando. There would be 4 of us marching in DC and at least 3 marching in Charlotte. Now to figure out which place to be.... <s> I hope some of you wonderful people on CD will join in.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:08 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,262,413 times
Some cases I try to follow...and they seem to drag on for years.
Murder of Nubia Barahona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is no update on Nubia's case. I hope those people get the Max. And there were red flags everywhere...one thing I find very appalling, is other adults knew these kids were being abused...and did nothing. It took a child who reported this...too late to save Nubia.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:49 AM

18,754 posts, read 11,741,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedserf View Post
Animalcrazy, I am sorry for your sad young years. Teachers, friends and family members all need to have the initiative to advocate for an abused child. I alienated several family members when I stood up and responded to a young relative after she reported sexual abuse by a step parent. They all insisted the child was crazy, trouble-making, bad, a liar. I was totally shocked by their attitudes when I went to them with the information she shared. She told me, I keep trying to tell but no one believes me. They call me a liar because he's so nice and everyone likes him so much.
I turned the lot in to CPS. Some of these people still refuse to speak to me for responding to the girl's situation. She pulled me aside because she trusted me.
We have to listen to children and do our best to assist them if we see or suspect that they are in distress.
Thank you for your kind words and for helping that child. If she wasn't telling the truth than wasn't that a cry for help in another way? You did the right thing. I confided to a school counselor what was going on but back then there really wasn't the services available and the mentality was that the parents had all the rights. I tried to commit suicide by taking a mixture of whatever was in the medicine cabinet and I told my mother. She never took me to the hospital because "You don't want that on your record." I was sick for days and her solution was to make me drink coffee. I'm lucky to be alive and I wonder how she would have felt if I had actually died?

Old 10-24-2012, 09:25 AM

14,357 posts, read 14,173,567 times
Quote:
The prison sentences abusers receive is sometimes just incomprehensible to me.

Like in Ottawa recently :

"A stepfather who sexually molested his teenage stepdaughter on a near nightly basis received a year in prison for each year of what a judge described Thursday as his “callous, gratuitous and control-related” abuse.

The stepfather was sentenced to seven years prison, a sentence that mirrored the seven years of sexual torment he inflicted on the girl beginning when she was just 13 years old. It continued until she was 19."

Seven years! That's all? He'll be out on parole in 3.5 years ---. For what the courts called daily "extreme violation" of his stepdaughter. It should have been 49 years at least!

I learned long ago not to worry about what goes on with the judicial system in other countries. You have no say over what laws they make or how they enforce them unless you are Canadian. Although, I do meet some Americans who believe they have a beef if something they don't like happens anywhere in this world. I think that's an example of hubris and overreaching on our part.

With respect to receiving seven years in prison, its hard to comment without reviewing laws in question. You do understand that judges have to follow written laws when they sentence offenders don't you? A judge doesn't have the discretion to lock each offender up for what he/she thinks personally is the appropriate sentence. This is actually a common reaction from John Q. Public when they consider criminal justice issues. Its generally the result of not understanding how the system actually works..

Old 10-24-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I learned long ago not to worry about what goes on with the judicial system in other countries. You have no say over what laws they make or how they enforce them unless you are Canadian. Although, I do meet some Americans who believe they have a beef if something they don't like happens anywhere in this world. I think that's an example of hubris and overreaching on our part.

With respect to receiving seven years in prison, its hard to comment without reviewing laws in question. You do understand that judges have to follow written laws when they sentence offenders don't you? A judge doesn't have the discretion to lock each offender up for what he/she thinks personally is the appropriate sentence. This is actually a common reaction from John Q. Public when they consider criminal justice issues. Its generally the result of not understanding how the system actually works..
I normally like your posts and respect your knowledge but I find this one really arrogant. We are commenting on the plight of abused children, EVERYWHERE, and the lack of justice they often receive. The sentences are all over the map, depending upon the emotion and publicity involved.

And yes, judges have to follow sentencing guidelines but I have seen too many cases where to keep from going to trial, someone is given a very lenient plea deal or they are undercharged and given the minimum at sentencing and out in a very small number of years.

Yep. Very condescending. I am disappointed, you have so much to offer.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:00 AM

If you can stand the horror....read this. Such an angel....

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater

Old 10-28-2012, 12:43 PM

23,919 posts, read 32,249,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
At a medical facility I used to work at, we had a horrific case. A little boy was there for a scan to check on his brain stents.

He had brain stents because his father had beat him until he was brain damaged, but had somehow regained custody.

When the brain damaged tyke acted up while there were no nurses or techs in the room, the father beat him to death and tried to blame someone at our facility for "dropping" the poor little guy.

The only things I think we can constitutionally do at this time are to promote the use of birth control by those too young or too ill-equipped to handle parenthood (make birth control free) sentences that outlive a person's "breeding" years for serious offenders, and regulations that make it easier for abused children to be adopted, rather than fostered.

I wish I had better answers.
I couldn't rep you this time but I owe you one

I could not agree with you more!!!! There is an epidemic of child abuse in this country. And I think that you are on the right track when it comes to the cause. Not the only cause, but a major contributor.

Teenaged girls are having children out of wedlock at alarming rates. Fifty percent of live birth in the US are to unwed mothers.

We let religious groups run our public policy when it comes to birth control and termination of pregnancy. An increasing number of under educated, immature, and irresponsible people under the age of 21 are electing to "keep their babies" and the out comes are horrendous.

Neuroscience has discovered that the human brain is not fully developed until age 21. This is the part of the brain that regulates impulse control, risk taking, and how we express anger.
It is why frequently teenagers do dangerous things and indulge in risky behavior.
I can remember feeling pretty invincible as a teenager and young adult and doing some things I cringe at now.

However, in my teens and early 20s I was not a parent. Thank God. I was a college student and before that a high school student.

If I was having sex in high school, my parents would have taken me to get birth control, but I wasn't.
In college, birth control was available through student health services.

I agree with your ideas. I'm not sure if it would be unconstitutional to raise the legal age of parenthood to 21, or ; if their is opposition to this, to monitor all "high risk families".

I'm not sure why people object so much to birth control being offered through high schools and colleges.

Also, I think that we should offer two years of college or vocational education after high school to ensure that each person who decides to parent at least is able to support themselves.
This would also give people an extra couple of years to mature, have some fun and get having fun "out of their system."

The student who avail them selves of this free education would need to agree to a long acting bitrh control administered by a health care professional. I would not trust them to take the pill or use other birth control.

People will ask "where is all that money coming from? Who will pay for community college and or birth control?"
In response, I'd ask them to think of the money that is paid out to prisons, child protective services, welfare, section eight housing, food stamps and the other governmental support that teen age "parents" frequently receive.

I'd prefer to spend the money on prevention and have a better educated population - thaen to spend the money prosecuting the Casey Anthony's of the world.

I know that Anthony was found to be not guilty, but no one will convince me that she is.

At the very least, an innocent little girl was found dumped in the woods while in the "care" of her "mother" - a high school drop out who had no trade and liked to party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime