Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 01:07 PM

7,880 posts, read 12,589,105 times

Advertisements

I go home for lunch every day. I live on a secluded rural road with no other neighbors and as I approached my house today there was a pickup truck sitting at the one spot they could see my house from the road at. They were down further from where my driveway is and when I pulled into the drive they took off. I found this to be very suspicious.

There is a farm gate at the road that is locked. I have a fence around my house with six dogs in it although only one is "intimidating" enough to deter anyone. Another issue is it is a very tiny house that, if I were a thief, doesn't look too promising for loot.

I had to return to work so I called the Sheriff's department and they were going to send a deputy out to the area to see if they could make contact with the vehicles occupants although by the time they get to the area I am sure they will be long gone.

Does this sound like the guys were casing my house? I can't think of any reason why they would stop right at that point in the road. (There are places to pull off up and down the road- no need to stop IN the road)

If they decided to rob my house they would have to leave the vehicle at the road which I think might be risky for thieves. A common method I have heard is "pretend car trouble" parking at the road while one guy goes to the house the other pretends to work on the vehicle (keep a lookout).

So what do you think? Casing my house or just a coincidence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 02:57 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,814,486 times
I am glad that you called the sheriff's department; I presume they also have a description of the truck, etc.?

Old 11-02-2012, 03:15 PM

Yes, I gave them a description and a distiguishing mark on the truck. I couldn't get the plate number though.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:07 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,031,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

So what do you think? Casing my house or just a coincidence?
Unless they were high and just randomly stopped to smoke another bowl thinking there was no one around, they were probably casing the joint.

Security cameras that tie in to your computer are pretty inexpensive these days. I'd get one if I lived in the boonies. Glad you called the cops.

Hopefully it was just a couple of opportunistic teenagers who got spooked when they saw you.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:39 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,198,257 times
Random. No way of knowing the answer, maybe they were lost. I used to live mid block on a street in Vegas, that was above the valley. People often stopped in front of our home to take pictures of Las Vegas strip. They would park, get out, walk around the area, snapping pics. Drove Sam Dog crazy.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:28 AM

The Sheriff didn't make contact with them. I am still paranoid wondering if they will be back this week. There may be several reasonable explanations why they were stopped there, could have had to take a leak, might have been trying to dump something........

I made sure my gates are locked (Road gate and gate to the fence around the house). I informed the neighbor down the road about it and asked if she saw the vehicle to call the sheriff. This lady and her husband are both retired state troopers and they agreed it sounded suspicious. Both of them are home during the day for the most part.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,436,574 times
Could be a private detective someone may have hired. Sorry, but it happens.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:19 AM

44,540 posts, read 61,201,075 times
Could've bee someone looking for property for sale in the area. I've taken my truck out in areas like that looking for acreage for sale.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:33 AM

152 posts, read 580,495 times
Get a trail cam and set it up.
It's a cheep way of getting pics of what and who while you are away.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:58 AM

6,403 posts, read 7,600,115 times
Do you have a friend or relative who could stop by during the day while you are at work, or stay at the house for a week or two?

It really is impossible to know what someone else is thinking but I always follow my instincts and this does strike me as a little odd, especially if the truck isn't known to other locals. If I saw your dogs in the front yard, I don't think I would stop by for any reason so they may have put an end to what ever was going on.

I used to have an 80 dog that was really good with me and my son. I usually got off work at 10:00 pm, picked up my son and then we would start getting ready for bed. One night the 80 pounder went totally crazy at the front door with a laser like focus. I will never know what was on the other side, but I never saw him attack the door with such energy but so glad he was there. We were living in north Phoenix at the time before it was built up so it tended to have a lot crime. I think the heat isn't good for the human brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime