Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 08:54 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times

Advertisements

I've wondered for a long time why this country has the screwed up legal system it does. That and why Americans have put up with a system that does not work, and is very unfair to victims. We have one case or another case thru the decades. Where the person on trial is let off because of some technacality. Im sure there are some people in this country that think Anthony is innocent. I think many more think she is guilty as sin and should be in prison.

As for me I wish she was in prison and they threw away the key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 10:52 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Im not convinced that this new tidbit would have convicted her.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
I've wondered for a long time why this country has the screwed up legal system it does. That and why Americans have put up with a system that does not work, and is very unfair to victims. We have one case or another case thru the decades. Where the person on trial is let off because of some technacality. Im sure there are some people in this country that think Anthony is innocent. I think many more think she is guilty as sin and should be in prison.

The "technicality" you refer to in this case is a jury verdict of "not guilty". A jury of Casey's peers heard this evidence and found her not guilty. She may have been guilty as sin and I tend to agree that she must have been. The point is though that this is the system our Constitution creates. If you're unhappy with the result, you should blame the twelve people who sat on the jury. The best legal system in the world depends on human beings to operate. That appears to be where this one failed.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:40 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Puzzled as to why the forensic detectives missed the evidence on her computer. It's a lame excuse that they just didn't check firefox. That's not very good detective work, imo. Unbelievable!

Old 11-26-2012, 04:18 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

Agreed.

You know, it's ironic, OJ Simpson walked when there was plenty of "CSI" type physical evidence against him because people didn't understand DNA and forensic science as much back then. Casey walked because they didn't have any, (or enough anyway). There are also those that speculate that Casey was too attractive for the jury to convict her. The same could probably be said of OJ, though I don't really buy that theory in either case as I feel it was more complex than that.

Just remember folks, the wheels of justice grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:07 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I also agree with you. If Baez suggested papa Anthony did the search or mama Anthony claimed she did it, the jury would have not have accepted beyond a reasonable doubt that that casey did it. Even if the jury accepted casey did the search, the main reasons they acquitted would have still been there.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I know this make for great press on a slow news day but there was so much evidence suppressed or not presented by the D.A's office that would have convicted her in a heartbeat.

Was this mistake made? Yes but it would not have been the be all that ended all in this case.

It's easy to throw the blame around when you're not directly involved.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:44 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
all she has to do to live a normal life is relocate, dye her hair, and make a simple name change. I'm sure she is living a "normal" life already.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:49 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post

The system is designed in such a way that it is supposed to place a higher value on protecting innocent people from being wrongfully convicted of crimes they did not commit, than on convicting the truly guilty. Placing a high burden of evidence on the prosecution comes at the expense of some of the guilty escaping punishment.

Despite the system being so designed, some innocent people *still* get convicted by overzealous prosecution and/or incompetent representation, among other things.

My wife and I watched a good bit of that trial while she was being treated for a difficult medical condition. Although I *felt* that she was guilty, based on the evidence presented and the rules under which it was required to be considered, had I been on the jury I would not have been able to vote for conviction either.

It sucks to watch someone you know is guilty walk away free, but the alternative would be far worse.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:52 PM

266 posts, read 402,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
I sure hope so...

I still think the jury are stupid idiots...
What is it that you expected them to convict her on? Their omniscient powers to "know" she did it? The guilty looks she gave during trial? The fact that she was out partying instead of mourning after the murder? These are all things that tell us, yes, of course she is guilty. But that is not how the justice system works and frankly wouldn't be "just" if it did work that way. I don't think it's fair (oh the irony) to deem the jury stupid because they obliged to the procedures of reaching a verdict. You think they all didn't hate having to vote not guilty? But they had no choice, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime