Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 08:08 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times

Advertisements

Topics - DeeDee Moore | TheLedger.com | The Ledger

Quote:
Prosecutors told jurors this morning that Dorice "DeeDee" Moore preyed upon the fears of Lakeland lottery winner Abraham Shakespeare to get her hands on his dwindling fortune before gunning him down and hiding his body....snipped...
This was a very interesting but really sad case. ("A cable program called "In Session" plans to provide coverage of the trial"-this is in one of the news stories at the link above)

Quote:
Shakespeare won a $17 million lump-sum lottery payment in 2006.
He was last seen alive in April 2009.
Moore is accused of befriending Shakespeare to steal his remaining wealth and then killing him.
Shakespeare's corpse was found Jan. 28, 2010, buried underneath a concrete slab behind a Plant City home. He had been shot twice in the chest.
[ Jason Geary can be reached at jason.geary@theledger.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 06:11 AM

838 posts, read 2,240,703 times
The trial of Dorice Moore for the murder of Abraham Shakespeare, the lotto winner from Lakeland, Florida, is now underway. Tampa Bay Times has been livestreaming it here:
Tampa Bay Times - live streaming video powered by Livestream
They also have on that site the tapes of the livestream from the past 2 days of trial. Today, they will take back up with a police recorded phone call between Cedric, Abraham's cousin who delivered a card to Abraham's mother puportedly from Abraham, which Dorice Moore allegedly paid him $5,000 to deliver to his mother to show he was still alive in August 2009. Abraham was killed and then buried on Dorice Moore's property and then she paid for a concrete slab to be poured over him in April of 2009. So she knew he was dead when she paid the $5,000 to have Abraham's cousin deliver the card to Abraham's mother.
Trial will begin this morning at 8:30am. Hopefully they will be livestreaming it then, but in the meantime, you can stroll through the videos to the opening statement by the state, the first video of the trial, and it will give you a better idea of the background of this case.
It is unclear at this time if Dorice will take the stand. She has said repeatedly she wants to tell her side of the story.
By the time Abraham was murdered, all of his remaining assets from his lotto win, $1.5 in banking accounts, and his $1+million Dollar home and all the loans he had out had been transferred to Dorice Moore or to her American Medical Professional firm. After he was murdered, she continued to live in his mansion. She said she paid for these items but could come up with no receipts to substantiate that claim.
Fascinating case. Don't forget this is a Florida jury (remember Casey Anthony), so anything is possible. Hope to hear your comments as you watch the trial.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:36 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,137,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan13202 View Post
The trial of Dorice Moore for the murder of Abraham Shakespeare, the lotto winner from Lakeland, Florida, is now underway. Tampa Bay Times has been livestreaming it here:
Tampa Bay Times - live streaming video powered by Livestream
They also have on that site the tapes of the livestream from the past 2 days of trial. Today, they will take back up with a police recorded phone call between Cedric, Abraham's cousin who delivered a card to Abraham's mother puportedly from Abraham, which Dorice Moore allegedly paid him $5,000 to deliver to his mother to show he was still alive in August 2009. Abraham was killed and then buried on Dorice Moore's property and then she paid for a concrete slab to be poured over him in April of 2009. So she knew he was dead when she paid the $5,000 to have Abraham's cousin deliver the card to Abraham's mother.
Trial will begin this morning at 8:30am. Hopefully they will be livestreaming it then, but in the meantime, you can stroll through the videos to the opening statement by the state, the first video of the trial, and it will give you a better idea of the background of this case.
It is unclear at this time if Dorice will take the stand. She has said repeatedly she wants to tell her side of the story.
By the time Abraham was murdered, all of his remaining assets from his lotto win, $1.5 in banking accounts, and his $1+million Dollar home and all the loans he had out had been transferred to Dorice Moore or to her American Medical Professional firm. After he was murdered, she continued to live in his mansion. She said she paid for these items but could come up with no receipts to substantiate that claim.
Fascinating case. Don't forget this is a Florida jury (remember Casey Anthony), so anything is possible. Hope to hear your comments as you watch the trial.
Casey sat there like an innocent little church mouse for most of her trial. Moore is laughing and cutting up in court which isn't going to earn her any points with the jury. More evidence and damning witness testimony like having her husband dig a hole then calling him back up to fill it in. Moore is going get what's coming to her....evil woman that she is.

Last edited by Sgt. Buzzcut; 11-30-2012 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 11-30-2012, 07:26 AM

They were not livestreaming yesterday morning so I went to the hearing. You can actually see it better online than in the Courtroom. They have the cameras set up so you can see more clearly. For instance, I could not see any of the Exhibits in the Courtroom. After many protests about the absence of livestream, Tampa Bay Times sent someone back to the Court and began livestreaming yesterday afternoon.
I agree with you totally. Dorice is all about the drama. She actually came onto a different forum I was on before she was arrested when Abraham was still considered a missing person. The forum owner called her and verified it was her before letting her post. She was trying to convince us that she only did what Abraham asked of her and how she was the victim and police, newspapers, and our forum were all attacking her unjustly. Even threatened us with legal action. She used the screenname DMoore. No one was buying it. The other users just kept coming up with more and more damning evidence against her. She's still a registered user there, but we have not heard from her since the body was found. But she is a piece of work. Says she wants to tell her side of the story. I hope she does because she'll just bury herself.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:29 AM

Right now we are on hold since last night they gave Dorice medication for a kidney infection and she had an allergic reaction and her tongue swelled up. She said she was put on 24 hour medical watch but then she had to come to Court. She also had complained the cuffs on her legs were cutting her so they let her wear extra socks. Dr. Weaver from Hillsborough County Detention (I believe that is what they said) is on her way to the Courthouse right now to check on Dorice before the trial continues. They replay that little section occasionally for those just tuning in, but that is why you have the people in Court just standing around.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:44 PM

I just spoke with Ann Glover, an editor at the Tampa Bay Times to thank her for covering thiis trial. She told me they will be moving the trial to the Hillsborough page at this link:
Tampa news, Hillsborough County, FL | Tampa Bay Times
So, if you go looking for it at one place and can't find it, try the other. Also, there is no link at the end of the day when the trial ends for the day.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:48 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
thx for keeping us up to date. I have been out on the road with work and can't watch the live stream. I just find this so sad. That man didn't stand a chance, what with people wanting money from him and then "DeeDee"....sadly, he was ripe to be taken advantage of.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:17 AM

Hi Annie, If you go here: Tampa Bay Times - live streaming video powered by Livestream and scroll down, the trial has actually been taped now and saved there so even if you cannot livestream it, you can still watch it from Opening Statements on the first day to the 3rd day, yesterday, with the Detectives.
I live in Lakeland and the trial was in Tampa on Twiggs Street. Thursday morning they weren't livestreaming and I went to the trial and it was also sad how very few people were in the Courthouse. I had heard for Casey Anthony's trial, people were lined up waiting to get in, but for this trial it is a very small courtroom with very few people attending and lots of empty seats. On the other hand, given that Dorice likes to be the center of attention, the apparent lack of interest in actually being in the Courtroom must deflate her ego some. On the other hand, there were over 600 viewers online the first day and over 550 yesterday. I'm hoping she never finds out.
It is very sad. This man helped strangers with his money. He helped people pay for funerals of their loved ones when asked. When he died, it is my understanding there was not even enough money to pay for the funeral and that one of the people he loaned money to paid for it. She is an evil woman and I hope she rots in prison.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:25 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
I read somewhere that in general, winning the lottery can really fcrew up your life. All these people come out of the woodwork claiming to be your freind, all wanting to get their hands in your pockets. I never heard of a murder before, though.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:39 PM

Be Careful What You Wish For! The Tragedy Of Past Lottery Winners | Radar Online
Actually not the first murdered, I guess. I found the article above on other tragic lottery winner stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime