Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 05:32 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times

Advertisements

I hope with all the criticism that some are quick to throw at the system and at the police that we can all take note of this action. This policeman purchased a pair of boots for a homeless man with no shoes out of his own money.

I suspect there are many, many gestures like this by the police that go unrecognized by our society.

NYC cop buys boots for homeless man, photo goes viral (+video) - CSMonitor.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 06:46 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,137,735 times
Nice....in my area the sheriffs' do Shop With a Cop. They get poor kids and take them to buy toys at Christmas time.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:48 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
I posted about this earlier in the chat thread above. It's very nice to read about altruism for a change. The article I referenced said the officer put the receipt for the boots in the pocket of his bullet-proof vest. I would not be surprised at all if that vest saves that officer's life someday. He had no idea he was being filmed. He did it out of a selfless act of altruism.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:51 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
There is a beggar who is dying that used to pan handle in front of a large drug store..He was a pleasant guy who "just don't like four walls"....A few times I would see a police cruiser pull over..and talk to the guy..They would hand the poor man a bag of nice take out food...they took care of him...Those cop hates out there don't know what they are talking about- Most cops are fine people...if you show them respect and love-You get it back.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:10 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,137 times
I saw this article and I think it is terrific -- and yes, it was apparently done w/out any expectation of kudos / praises / photo! I think, I truly think that when someone does something for another person and does it without fanfare/quietly, it is from the heart and sincere and that type of gesture and action, is what really counts and really reflects the heart and character of a person. Good for him!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
I saw this article and I think it is terrific -- and yes, it was apparently done w/out any expectation of kudos / praises / photo! I think, I truly think that when someone does something for another person and does it without fanfare/quietly, it is from the heart and sincere and that type of gesture and action, is what really counts and really reflects the heart and character of a person. Good for him!
What is wonderful is that the viral disease of love spreads. You show sincere kindness to a person who needs love and respect..they will spread the word. Last night I was out side of a Pizza shop having a smoke waiting for my food. This sad looking guy comes by...he was kind of scary ...I avoided eye contact..but I could not help but have a quick peer...and he looked back. The man stopped and approached me for money...I said I was "spending my daughters money and had none of my own" - He said it was a shame...I said that it was not anything to be ashamed of.

I told him...I do not have money but you are welcome to a cigarette ..He stood there smoking and continued with a sad story...Then I saw a smile appear...I said to him..."Things are not that bad..You are alive..you are enjoying a smoke and you have a smile on your face" It's the tiny little things...This guy was disadvantaged. He was short - he was black and was an unattractive human being...but he left with more advantage..That smile gave him a fighting chance...a drop of care was his fuel and hope. I wish this guy the best. I did feel a little guilty cause I did eventually shoo him off. He was desperate for friendship...I should have been more kind and had him wait and fed him.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:02 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
20 minutes later the homeless man traded his new shoes for a 20 bag of heroine

Old 12-03-2012, 01:10 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
NYT: Homeless man grateful for boots, but barefoot again - US news - The New York Times | NBC News

No news on the shoes.

Great gesture by the young cop.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I hope with all the criticism that some are quick to throw at the system and at the police that we can all take note of this action. This policeman purchased a pair of boots for a homeless man with no shoes out of his own money.

I suspect there are many, many gestures like this by the police that go unrecognized by our society.

NYC cop buys boots for homeless man, photo goes viral (+video) - CSMonitor.com

It's a great story...too bad no good deed goes unpunished-

The homeless guy now wants a piece of the pie...he believes he should cash in on the publicity. And he wasn't wearing the shoes-he said he hid them.....sure he did.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:44 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
I had a feeling that might happen, and so I was unsurprised when I saw the newest stories. It doesn't take anything away from the wonderful act of the young officer who hopefully, will not be discouraged by the recipient of his goodwill's actions.

Many homeless people are mentally ill and / or addicts of some type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime