U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 08:08 PM

13,855 posts, read 12,623,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I hope this is an emotional reaction and not something you really mean.

If this were really possible, you'd have no one willing to serve as a judge, got that? Why would I as a lawyer, want to ever be a judge if it could potentially lead me to going to prison as an accomplice to murder. No judges means no system means anarchy. I sure as hell wouldn't serve as a judge in the system you advocate.

I suppose the other alternative would be that you'd have judges who never ever, let any criminal suspect out of jail on bail. The problem there is that bail is constitutional right and the Eighth Amendment prohibits the imposition of "excessive bail". The clear implication is that bail must be available for most crimes. Also, if no bail were granted any criminal in about a week every prison and jail in this country would be jam packed.

Anyway, that's how things work here.
Big difference between excessive bail and not letting a suspected killer have unsupervised visiting rights with a toddler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 12:40 AM

5,660 posts, read 6,849,365 times
Most judges simply are corrupt, biased, and careless. No wonder people (especially men) have no faith in the legal system or law enforcement.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:08 AM

9,181 posts, read 9,265,199 times
Quote:
Most judges simply are corrupt, biased, and careless. No wonder people (especially men) have no faith in the legal system or law enforcement.

This is the kind of general, broad, and outrageous statement that I read too frequently in this forum. If anything causes me to stop posting here its going to be people who give this kind of general (and useless) opinion without providing any substantive evidence to back it up. BTW, citing one article in a newspaper where you disagree with one decision doesn't prove all or most judges are corrupt or biased or whatever.

Since you referred to "men" in your post, my thoughts are that either you or a relative ended up on the losing side of a child custody or divorce case and now believe most judges are bad. My mother was the victim of a serious case of medical malpractice, yet I don't accuse all doctors of being bad doctors as a result. One of the things, most I hope most adults eventually learn to do is to develop an ability to separate bias against one or two individuals from prejudice against an entire group. I know some people who were victimized by one person in a particular ethnic or racial group and now harbor prejudice towards that entire class of people. How bright is that?

Judges cannot make everyone happy if they are doing a good job. Facts and law make some individuals winners and others losers in court. We live in a "feel good" society where many people have come to believe they have a "right" to happiness, a right to a good living, a right to the latest technology, and a right to good medical care. Than, when something interferes with what they believe "are their rights" they are quick to blame the entire system. Judges are easy targets since they make decisions that have far reaching implications for many people.

If people want to convince me that most judges are "corrupt, biased, and careless" they better come here armed with more than a personal opinion. I'm always surprised that despite the fact everyone who posts here has the resources of the entire internet at their disposal that they post very little in the way of facts or statistics that would substantiate their position. I've come to expect better.

Last edited by markg91359; 12-05-2012 at 06:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or