U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:33 AM

13,612 posts, read 10,318,125 times

Advertisements

This man was a suspect in a murder and accused of a rape and was given unsupervised visitation despite the mother's protests. The little boy is dead now.

Toddler's mystery death reignites investigation of two other deaths - U.S. News

His brother said this about the suspect:

He described his half brother as "a monster," describing how even at age 3, his younger brother attacked him on the head with a hammer he had hidden behind his back as he feigned a request for a kiss.

Last edited by NLVgal; 12-03-2012 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: added last paragraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 06:53 PM

4,907 posts, read 6,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
This man was a suspect in a murder and accused of a rape and was given unsupervised visitation despite the mother's protests. The little boy is dead now.

Toddler's mystery death reignites investigation of two other deaths - U.S. News

His brother said this about the suspect:

He described his half brother as "a monster," describing how even at age 3, his younger brother attacked him on the head with a hammer he had hidden behind his back as he feigned a request for a kiss.
O.M.G. he is a monster ! I agree about some of the judges in this country. When they all come up for renewal on the ballots, I vote no on all of them. A lawyer told me he does that because the judges are so self assured, once they get in, they can do what they want and he wanted to send a message. Most people just go down the ballot and vote yes and right back in they go, good or bad. I know, I know it is a lazy protest....

Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 PM

13,889 posts, read 12,655,712 times
The judge should be charged as an accomplice.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 PM

55,679 posts, read 74,680,484 times
we must determine in our courts of justice whether someone is legally guilty.
not whether he did the crime or not. many guilty of terrible crime are let go free, released.
but that was the wish of the founding fathers, a lenient justice system, the opposite of the english system.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:35 PM

13,889 posts, read 12,655,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
we must determine in our courts of justice whether someone is legally guilty.
not whether he did the crime or not. many guilty of terrible crime are let go free, released.
but that was the wish of the founding fathers, a lenient justice system, the opposite of the english system.
I don't follow. The Founding Fathers wanted people who committed terrible crimes to go free?

Old 12-03-2012, 10:49 PM

9,222 posts, read 9,292,231 times
Quote:
The judge should be charged as an accomplice.
I hope this is an emotional reaction and not something you really mean.

If this were really possible, you'd have no one willing to serve as a judge, got that? Why would I as a lawyer, want to ever be a judge if it could potentially lead me to going to prison as an accomplice to murder. No judges means no system means anarchy. I sure as hell wouldn't serve as a judge in the system you advocate.

I suppose the other alternative would be that you'd have judges who never ever, let any criminal suspect out of jail on bail. The problem there is that bail is constitutional right and the Eighth Amendment prohibits the imposition of "excessive bail". The clear implication is that bail must be available for most crimes. Also, if no bail were granted any criminal in about a week every prison and jail in this country would be jam packed.

Anyway, that's how things work here.

Last edited by markg91359; 12-03-2012 at 10:59 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 10:55 PM

9,222 posts, read 9,292,231 times
Quote:
O.M.G. he is a monster ! I agree about some of the judges in this country. When they all come up for renewal on the ballots, I vote no on all of them. A lawyer told me he does that because the judges are so self assured, once they get in, they can do what they want and he wanted to send a message. Most people just go down the ballot and vote yes and right back in they go, good or bad. I know, I know it is a lazy protest....
So, because of situations like this one which are comparably rare, you think no judge should be reelected? Have you ever given any thought to the implications involved in having totally inexperienced judges on the bench deciding complex criminal and civil cases? Has it occurred to you that this may lead to some particularly wrong and harmful decisions?

I agree some judges shouldn't be judges and there should be a mechanism for removing them. My own state has a mechanism where judges run against themselves in retention elections. During these elections, results of surveys taken from lawyers who appear in the judges court are made public. We have defeated 2 or 3 judges on the basis that the lawyers they appear in front of them find them to be poor judges.

We all have an interest in having experienced, qualified capable judges on the bench. We don't want some novice who just got out of law school.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:13 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,261,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I hope this is an emotional reaction and not something you really mean.

If this were really possible, you'd have no one willing to serve as a judge, got that? Why would I as a lawyer, want to ever be a judge if it could potentially lead me to going to prison as an accomplice to murder. No judges means no system means anarchy. I sure as hell wouldn't serve as a judge in the system you advocate.

I suppose the other alternative would be that you'd have judges who never ever, let any criminal suspect out of jail on bail. The problem there is that bail is constitutional right and the Eighth Amendment prohibits the imposition of "excessive bail". The clear implication is that bail must be available for most crimes. Also, if no bail were granted any criminal in about a week every prison and jail in this country would be jam packed.

Anyway, that's how things work here.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:49 AM

13,612 posts, read 10,318,125 times
Judges are human and they can make mistakes, but for me, this was the kicker:

In making his custody and visitation rulings, the judge said the suspicions about the deaths of Collins and Mason were no concern to him, describing it as "smoke that's been blown that I can see through."

Old 12-04-2012, 07:04 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,751,871 times
I have met a lot of judges, who are narcisstic. They think every thing they think and say is the "LAW". They often ignore reports of Social Workers, Police Officers, and other parties. One problem, is that they bring their own psychological baggage into the courtroom. Sure, we all do things based on our own biases and backgrounds, but add that to a narcisstic personality disorder, and you have someone out of control.

There was a judge who was particularly vicious to drug addicted Mothers. She would give these women extreme sentences. Maybe some people think that is "good". I felt like she just messed up a lot of children's lives. That at least attempting treatment and allowing these women a chance to get their lives on track would have been a more balanced decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or