U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 04:57 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,196,063 times

Advertisements

OFF topic but, at least these guys were caught before they were able to do what they planned.

N.M. police: Vt. men targeted for murder, castration | Vermont - WPTZ Home

And I guess they planned another murder in N.Y. afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 04:25 AM

13,612 posts, read 10,311,759 times
He was a very bad man, but I'm pretty shocked that the preacher at a funeral attended by the guy's family said this:

On Sunday, serial killer Israel Keyes was eulogized in a small funeral ceremony attended by his mother, four sisters, and a flamboyant evangelical preacher who, in his sermon, asserted that Keyes was now “in a place of eternal torment.” Keyes committed suicide on Dec. 2 in the Alaska jail where he was being held.

I'm glad the guy is dead, but I wouldn't say so to his mother's face. Presumably, she and the sisters didn't do anything wrong. Why rub their noses in it? Thoughts?

Israel Keyes suicide: Is he the most meticulous serial killer of modern times?

Old 12-11-2012, 04:26 AM

20,976 posts, read 16,274,961 times
Did he choke on a corn flake?

That would be justice, would it not?

Old 12-11-2012, 06:45 PM

15,790 posts, read 15,032,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I'm glad the guy is dead, but I wouldn't say so to his mother's face. Presumably, she and the sisters didn't do anything wrong.
Someone in his family helped contribute to his psychopathy. IMHO, killers are not born; they're made. I agree that was a pretty harsh comment to make during a eulogy.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:04 PM

2,759 posts, read 4,362,060 times
Quote:
He was a very bad man, but I'm pretty shocked that the preacher at a funeral attended by the guy's family said this:

On Sunday, serial killer Israel Keyes was eulogized in a small funeral ceremony attended by his mother, four sisters, and a flamboyant evangelical preacher who, in his sermon, asserted that Keyes was now “in a place of eternal torment.” Keyes committed suicide on Dec. 2 in the Alaska jail where he was being held.

I'm glad the guy is dead, but I wouldn't say so to his mother's face. Presumably, she and the sisters didn't do anything wrong. Why rub their noses in it? Thoughts?

Israel Keyes suicide: Is he the most meticulous serial killer of modern times?
His mother and sisters probably also believe that he went to hell, since they belong to this preacher's church. He was not only a murderer, but a self-professed atheist, and that's what this church believes happens to atheists. Having had some exposure to these sorts of beliefs, I'm not at all surprised at this preacher's statement.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Someone in his family helped contribute to his psychopathy. IMHO, killers are not born; they're made.
There is some debate on whether psychopaths / sociopaths are a product of nature, nurture, or both. It's a discussion probably worthy of its own thread.

In the Keyes case, we don't really know much about his background. Incidentally, I see no mention of his father in any of the articles. I wonder if, as a child, Keyes showed any of the triad: bed-wetting, arson, animal cruelty, that are often warning signs of serious trouble ahead.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
There is some debate on whether psychopaths / sociopaths are a product of nature, nurture, or both. It's a discussion probably worthy of its own thread.
It does appear to be a combination of both. There are several threads on this, some in the Politics and Other Controversies subforum. One on this subforum is: Was Eric Harris (Columbine) a psychopath?

I recently found a Time magazine from the 2007 Virginia Tech massacre, in which Cho was profiled. The final article described mass killers and some serial killers as raging narcissists. That seems to be only part of the picture. Hopefully criminologists will continue to study this.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
It does appear to be a combination of both. There are several threads on this, some in the Politics and Other Controversies subforum. One on this subforum is: Was Eric Harris (Columbine) a psychopath?

I recently found a Time magazine from the 2007 Virginia Tech massacre, in which Cho was profiled. The final article described mass killers and some serial killers as raging narcissists. That seems to be only part of the picture. Hopefully criminologists will continue to study this.
I read that Eric Harris thread awhile back and found it very interesting. The general consensus seemed to be that his accomplice would have never acted out without Harris.

I absolutely refuse to wade into the politics subforum, so I don't see anything that goes on there unless someone links it on another forum.

I thinks mass killers and serial killers are different breeds. The mass killer seems to be motivated by intense anger and the serial killer seems to be motivated by, for a lack of a better word, fun. Of course, I don't have any actual data to back up that theory, so it's just conjecture.

I would be interested in hearing more on Keyes and his childhood, but we never really know what's going on in someone's home, do we?

Old 12-13-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I would be interested in hearing more on Keyes and his childhood, but we never really know what's going on in someone's home, do we?
I can't find much on his childhood other than the extremely strict religious focus of his mother and sisters. This article says that he did torture animals as a child. Israel Keyes, Alaska Serial Killer, Researched Ted Bundy, Other Mass Murderers

Old 12-13-2012, 03:57 PM

4,131 posts, read 4,781,252 times
Quote:
Someone in his family helped contribute to his psychopathy. IMHO, killers are not born; they're made. I agree that was a pretty harsh comment to make during a eulogy.

Sorry not true....we do not know if serial killers are born, made or both. From my experience working with sex offenders-it was a toss up...some were abused, some were not. However, it's hard to analyze the information or study because MOST sexual/serial killers are also compulsive liars.

I'm glad he killed himself-the police probably would never find all of his victims-most killers keep it a secret because of different reasons (mostly because it's a fantasy and his way of keeping the trophy).

Very sad for the victims...I hope that one day all of the victims will have peace...

What a puke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime