U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:00 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,657,931 times

Advertisements

Mark,

Again, I don't disagree with any of your statements. They are all true and, moreover, not to play "tit of tat" I've seen even worse in the criminal justice system. However, that is YOU AND ME. We know, have been there, done that, got the t-shirt. However, to the GENERAL PUBLIC, who looks at this stuff from the outside, they think the criminal justice system is "fair." Its not fair and never has been. It NEVER will be.

It is a chess game of: Move this way, I move that way. Go in this direction, I go in that direction.

Your points about police, defense attorneys, judges, etc? Yes. Quite true. VERY FEW people actually see the truth. Very few people actually see how many times police officers are forced into making arrests, for a variety of reasons most do not understand and never will, however go to the district attorney and request the charges be dismissed and/or greatly reduced. This sort of thing happens al the time. Yet, no one sees this. No one sees the good many people in the criminal justice system do and how they do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 09:27 PM

10,209 posts, read 12,249,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Murder of Nubia Barahona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For those of you unfamiliar with Nubia's case, and details.

Her Adopted Father, Jorge Barahona, abused, tortured, and finally killed Nubia. There are witnesses, he even tried to kill himself and her brother, Victor.

He is, of course, pleading "Not Guilty".

My question is this...why is no trial date set? What is so complicated?
I saw that truck on the side of the road, hours before they realized that Nubia was dead in the back of the truck. Every time I drive past that area I think of those two little kids....

Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,717,452 times
Murder of Nubia Barahona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Two year anniversary of Nubia's death...February 11, 2011. No trial date has been set.

Nothing even noting the anniversary of her death. No news coverage. Silence.

Last edited by jasper12; 02-12-2013 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-18-2013, 03:13 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,347,648 times
In the past 10 to 15 years, the 'right to a speedy trial' has been thrown out the window in favor of the right to a 'slow as molasses trial.' The longer you wait, the more memories fade, details blur, and people move away or even die so they are harder to get on the witness stand. The classic example is Robert Blake -- as soon as they started getting close to a trial date, he would fire all his attorneys, and the investigation and case-building would have to start all over again.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 PM

Even the Zimmerman trial has a date set, and Trayvon has been only dead barely a year.

All about politics. There is a cover up here... Officials want this case to get lost, and never come to the light of day. A little girl, tortured to death, these people deserve the death penalty.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:35 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,058,240 times
Mario McNeill trial underway in Shaniya Davis murder | abc11.com

The murder trial of the killer of 5 year old Shaniya Davis, killed in 2009, is JUST now getting underway. Her mother, also being charged with selling her baby daughter to this creature to rape and kill in exchange for drugs, is still waiting for her day in court. It takes forever, mostly due to the defendant's right to file endless motions and continuances. Once the victim is dead, their rights are gone. It's all about the rights of the defendant. Not fair and not right, but that's how it is.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:22 PM

Barahona likely to go to trial on Palm Beach County attempted... | www.palmbeachpost.com

Finally....sort of...a trial date "sometime" in 2014.

My opinion? They want this guy to take a plea deal. He should.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:20 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,347,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I guess so. I just don't want this piece of excrement to be released because he did not get a trial date within a reasonable amount of time.
It's usually the defense that delays trials for 2 to 3 years or longer if they can. The right to a speedy trial is a bad right to invoke if it is going to get witnesses on the stand whose memories are still fresh. If you wait long enough, some of them will even have died. Look at Robert Blake -- he fired his defense team more than once to delay his trial date more and more. Came out pretty well for him, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime