Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 01:48 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,548,773 times

Advertisements

Ted Kaczynski. I can't understand why he did what he did, killing of a few people wouldn't change the course. 100 years + ago Russian revolutionaries-terrorists killed thousands (well above 10 thousands) of the government and security officials and achieved nothing. Yet, manhunt for Ted was quite disproportionate to his crimes, they hunted not just for the killer but for an ideological threat. Even minuscule threats to the status quo are not tolerated. Militia men, religious nuts, green "terrorists", Ted, black panthers, Indian activists,... anything that has negligible probability of snowballing into a threat to the wealth and power flows is to be overwhelmed with disproportionate application of the force and law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 02:09 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,691,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
What happened to Dahmer's body after he was killed in prison? Was his brain and body donated to science?

He was battered to death with one of those metal bars used to hang freeweights on -- a preacher bar. There was not much left to dissect. His brain was all over the room. After a long custody battle, the ashes were divided evenly between the parents. The irony there is that if either parent had fought to keep Jeff during their incredibly ugly divorce, Steven Hicks might still be alive today, and all the victims who came after.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:45 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,224,712 times
"Whose brain is this?"

"Abby Normal"

Two points for the person who knows the name of the movie that quote is from...

Okay, just some "Black Humor" for the day...

Old 12-22-2012, 03:06 PM

36,858 posts, read 17,236,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
and people like Andrea Yates should never have had kids, think what you will but some people should not have kids...just because you got the body parts, does not make a good parent or capable parent. Her husband is the biggest jerk and he's part guilty...so were the doctors and others who knew what she was like.
Oh I agree.

I had to research her case for school (CJ) in several classes. We will never truly know everything but like I said, if you go back and read the details, this woman should have been institutionalized before she even had kids.

The weirdest part of her case is the husband. If you consider him sane he is either the dumbest human ever or the most evil human ever.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:53 PM

993 posts, read 2,281,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
"Whose brain is this?"

"Abby Normal"

Young Frankenstein?

Old 12-22-2012, 10:45 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,262,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Don't ever watch a movie called Se7en then, my friend.
The most disturbing movie I've ever watched. Virtually every setting and every scene was eerie and dingy.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:51 AM

4,162 posts, read 4,399,510 times
U.N. Owen of Agatha Christie's, 'And Then There Were None Fame'.

Seriously, cases such as those mentioned in post #27 by mightyqueen. Basically those where a minor, who by no fault of their own due to circumstances, has no recourse (real or imagined due to cognitive abilities or legal technicalities) and simply eliminates an abuser / attacker. These are (imho) Public Service killings. Earthly realm retribution meant to expedite a higher judgement (if you believe in them).

This topic also makes me think of a Law & Order episode where, Fred Thompson character, when asked how the D.A. should proceed with murder investigation responded with question used by a former colleague, "Did the victim deserve it?".

Another hypothetical example, is the Criminal Minds episode, where Frankie Muniz as a graphic novelist kills members of a gang who had raped and murdered his fiance one night. Certain circumstance will prompt sympathy/ empathy.

Other related thoughts:
If most every culture can agree on the 'Golden Rule' of "Do onto others as you would have them do onto you" then every initiator, who kills outside of self defense, or extenuating circumstances (abuse etc...) is asking to be killed in the same manner they killed - correct? I have often thought the Golden Rule was the best rationale for capital punishment.

Why do we waste excessive resources trying to rectify the outliers amongst us and instead dedicate the same resources toward childhood development and education - the front end of the issue - rather than the 'backend' of the issue?
[Could it be because the legal / judicial / penal / medical industry make$ more money on the backend ]

And, if you want to give them exceptions due to psychological issues, then shouldn't all those wanting to 'figure them out' and 'reform' them be the ones who agree to take them in as neighbors when they are back in civilian population?

And finally, if the U.S.A. as a nation can justify 'pre emptive' strikes on supposed WMD's to murder thousands of innocent people, why can't an abused person with no recourse use the same rationale?

Old 12-23-2012, 02:35 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,691,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The most disturbing movie I've ever watched. Virtually every setting and every scene was eerie and dingy.

I agree. Completely.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:44 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,816,731 times
Default Do I win? :)

WHAT! You put the brain of!.... into ....

Young Frankenstein!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
"Whose brain is this?"

"Abby Normal"

Sometimes, actually, more often than not, we do need to incorporate just a tad of levity into this topic because 99.9% of the time, the topics/threads are either egregious, reprehensible or worse!

Thank you for this one!

Last edited by sugarmaple; 12-27-2012 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: omitted a word in the quote.....

Old 03-21-2013, 10:08 PM

6,580 posts, read 4,714,645 times
I'd have to say Andrea Yates. Such a sad, downtrodden person. But, yeah, I agree there's a difference between psychopaths and mentally ill people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime