U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:32 PM

22,783 posts, read 16,859,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Which serial killers/mass murderers (or even single high profile murderers) do you feel some sympathy for (even if you might simultaneously still revile them) because of say, having a rough childhood or other mitigating circumstances? Of course it doesn't mean you think any less of the crime, but who, if any, of them do you feel somewhat sorry for?

I'd have to say Aileen Wuornos and Charlie Manson are too that come to mind. I still don't think their childhoods make them less responsible, but I can see how it could have warped their minds. Wuornos was abused by her grandparents, who she thought were her parents (sorry, by her grandfather really), and was performing sexual favours for money (because of simple lack of food etc), food.etc from the age of 10. She was also a social outcast. Manson never had any sort of home life, his mother apparently tried to trade him for a pitcher of beer (in some accounts she's a prostitute).

Of course there are millions who are in the same situation as these two who don't go around killing people, but it does make me feel at least a bit more sympathetic than say Ted Bundy.
I have watched several shows about Aileen Wournos and as terrible as it is what she did, if I were to feel sorry for someone like that, it would be her. That girl did NOT get a fair shake in life right from the start and she had serious issues because of it. How she chose to react was not right, in any way, shape or form. I think, however, no one taught her how to act.

In some shows, you see her being interviewed and she tries to come off a little flippant about it all but if you look at her eyes...there's a different story.

She did wrong. She did seriously wrong. But I have to say, I do get a little twinge of sympathy when I see or read about her for what kind of crappy life she had.

No, it doesn't excuse her actions...it just seems she got dealt a really sh**ty hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 10:09 AM

151 posts, read 183,359 times
I feel bad for those that had horrible childhoods like Eileen. I don't excuse their actions but it would be naive to think their childhood had no effect on their actions

Some people are naturally more sociopathic than others and when you combine that with child abuse, you get an ugly mix. People are both nature and nurture and more recent studies have shown nurture has a more important role in development than previously thought.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:14 AM

16,019 posts, read 19,716,537 times
Maybe for the abused spouses who are defending themselves.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:17 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,599,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I do feel empathy for young girls who kill their babies, after hiding their pregnancy. Cops: Teen girl kills baby, hides remains in shoebox | HLNtv.com
Ahah, finally someone posted on this thread that really does know the difference between "Sympathy" and "Empathy" ~♥~

I have no sympathy for any convicted murderers whatsoever but in a very few cases I can see where extenuating circumstances or the defendants emotional or mental condition could elicit a bit of empathy.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:21 PM

12,255 posts, read 18,022,587 times
I feel bad for the once that never had a chance. From the day there were born nobody showed them any love and basically threw them to the wolves to fend for themselves. I feel bad for those who were raped and abused as children.I feel bad for the once that never had a chance

Old 03-23-2013, 02:32 PM

1,841 posts, read 2,515,515 times
Aileen Wuornos. She was so starved for love due to horrific circumstances growing up that when she found it, she'd do anything to keep it. Everyone crossed her, including the woman who she loved enough to commit the horrible murders she did. Some of those men were probably great men, nice men and didn't do anything to deserve it. Of course no one deserves to go like that and no person is the judge of who deserves what, when you really think about it. Only God can say. I'd imagine some of those men she killed were also not so nice men. Could have a really good discussion on fate, free will, destiny , circumstance etc. pertaining to these crimes of hers.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 PM

22,783 posts, read 16,859,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
Ahah, finally someone posted on this thread that really does know the difference between "Sympathy" and "Empathy" ~♥~

I have no sympathy for any convicted murderers whatsoever but in a very few cases I can see where extenuating circumstances or the defendants emotional or mental condition could elicit a bit of empathy.
We do understand the difference.

With empathy, one would not be able to feel any sympathy. Those who say they feel sympathy DO feel sympathy, not mere empathy.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:14 PM

3,185 posts, read 5,796,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
What happened to Dahmer's body after he was killed in prison? Was his brain and body donated to science?
I know a guy that was in BOY Scouts with Dahmer. He said he acted a little weird but nothing like the crazy man he turned into later.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:08 PM

25,905 posts, read 39,205,212 times
Only for the ones who are in jail and are innocent...all others I don't feel anything for.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:14 PM

797 posts, read 1,128,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Only for the ones who are in jail and are innocent...all others I don't feel anything for.

Same here.

I am against capital punishment but no murderer should ever leave prison unless horizontal in a hearse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime