U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:39 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,041,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The shooter was in his 20s and NBC reports that he targeted his mother a teacher at the school and her class. Also a body has been discovered in a Hoboken New Jersey home which is possibly the father of the shooter.
Yes, new reports have his name. 24 years old. Still horrible. Take a domestic dispute and ruin dozens of other people lives over your own selfish needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 12:42 PM

32,202 posts, read 33,105,502 times
According to NBC news there is no body in the Hoboken NJ home and that the shooter's mother who worked at the school is confirmed dead at the school.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:37 PM

According to NBC, the man in custody is the brother of the gunman and there is some confusion over the names of the brothers (meaning which brother is in custody and which one is the dead gunman). Also there is a report of a body in a nearby Newtown CT. home. The body probably is of another relative.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:05 PM

18,695 posts, read 23,338,486 times
When will this end? Why does a person like this have a cache of weapons? I am so TIRED of hearing about these events.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:13 PM

20 dead children (18 dead at the school and 2 more pronounced dead at the hospital).

2 dead adults plus the dead shooter and one more injured adult at the school.

At a secondary crime scene at home nearby there is one dead adult (someone who lived with the gunman).

Old 12-14-2012, 02:53 PM

4,247 posts, read 10,578,260 times
Maybe one day someone will hold these News reporters and their company accountable for reporting false information. They now have reported an innocent man as being the cold blooded killer when he wasn't. And interviewing babies for a news story is just plain irresponsible. The parents should not let this happen. What they're going through is hard enough but to let a reporter stick a microphone and have them relive this is absurd.

Hey media, report the facts and leave the kids alone.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:57 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,041,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
When will this end? Why does a person like this have a cache of weapons? I am so TIRED of hearing about these events.
Well, unless you lock up a certain percentage of the population it's going to keep on happening. I was listening to Dr. Drew on CNN on my way home from the office and he started going off on a rant and it kind of caught me by surprise. I thought he was going to start calling for gun control, but he didn't mention guns at all. He started talking about mental illness instead. He did bring up a good point. We've almost become too accepting in society. Never wanting to classify people as non-normal, and just saying "oh, that's just the way he or she is". No, that not OK. There are certain people that should not be walking around as free members of society. He brought up the subway pusher as an example. He need no gun or knife. Just took the opportunity to unleash his anger. Odds are today's shooters was a volcano waiting to erupt and everyone around him suspected he might be but did nothing to stop it.

Last edited by Velvet Jones; 12-14-2012 at 03:07 PM..

Old 12-14-2012, 03:05 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,127,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
20 dead children (18 dead at the school and 2 more pronounced dead at the hospital).

A whole classroom.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:26 PM

8,242 posts, read 18,551,252 times
To even include this thread in the same space as "Woman Comes Home to Find Driveway Missing" is to trivialize this unspeakable tragedy.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-14-2012, 03:50 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,469,997 times
This is beyond horrible. I listened, as I am sure many did, to what President Obama said, especially the part ... "as a parent/father"... I listened to what the Governor said... I listened to what the CT police spokesperson said and I have listened to some of the things the reporters are saying and are asking [including asking children] --

Right now, however, I am more stunned at what some of these reporters, under the guise of journalism, are doing. Are you kidding? You are going to ask a third-grader who has been scared out of his wits, terrified, watched his classmates be killed, 'what are you feeling? what was it like? what did you do?'

The police spokesperson was, if possible to appropriately use the term 'terrific'-- he said they were all working with every single parent - he told the reporters that names were being withheld, [although certainly the names are going to come out] to leave them alone; to give them respect and consideration because they are suffering [and those families are absolutely suffering].

Moderately off point [for a second] - I vividly remember, during the hurricane Katrina, seeing a picture of a man[dad] desparately holding on to his two children standing in the water- a reporter happened to capture that specific scene and sadly and horrifically, the powerful water swept his kids away and he could not get to them. Less than moments afterward, that reporter, still filming, went up to this man and asked him how he was feeling -- are you kidding me! How the hel** did the reporter think he was feeling! I was so outraged at the insensitivity of that reporter I wanted to throw him in the river.

Today is a travesty - those children who survived are going to be affected for years; those families who lost their children will be affected for the rest of their lives.

Could this have been prevented, I have no idea. Did someone else know this was going to happen, I have no idea [such as the person the gunman lived with] but if someone did know or think it was a possibility and did nothing about it, I think he/she be held accountable and face charges for not not giving a dam*

I mourn for those children and their families as I know we all do.

I hope the reporters realize, at this time, to leave them all alone. If you want to report the news, great and do it accurately.

This is not the time for a human interest story - this is a time to be considerate and respectful. The families are truly suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or