U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 03:34 PM

6,981 posts, read 4,456,050 times

Advertisements

Im not sure i understand why such tight lipped about answering questions. How can something they say come back to 'bite them'? I could see tight lipped if the shooter was still alive, but since he's dead, it wouldnt make sense to 'guard' all their 'secrets'.

I know its just 'protocol' and whatnut, but there doesnt seem to be any kind of reason to hold info back at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 03:51 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,465,290 times
I would think there would be a myriad of reasons to hold back information at this time; there is still an ongoing investigation even though they know who the gunman was; perhaps they are determining, through this investigation, that this could have been prevented/mitigated --that someone else knew what could potentially happen and did nothing [I have no idea one way or the other] and if that is the case, that person needs to be held accountable for those actions and/or inactions.

Most significantly, I would also think that out of simple courtesy and respect and consideration to those families who have lost their little children and for the families who have lost their adult children, those brothers and sisters, grandchildren, nieces and nephews, perhaps they do not need to hear everything at this time.

As the police spokesperson said several times, please leave them alone, they are grieving and suffering. Right now perhaps is not the optimal time to have to hear more gruesome news/reasons = those families already know what happened, their children are dead and their lives are destroyed because of it.

What we all need to know right now is that we need, we all need to offer our support, our prayers and our caring -- and as a mom who lost a 3 1/2 year daughter years ago, I can say, with heartbreaking experience, that those families are numb, devastated, do not believe they will ever be able to laugh again or smile again, that they will find a day when they will not cry or wretch. They will but it will take a long time and they can learn the other details some other time, they do not need to know it today or tomorrow.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:12 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,708,488 times
Terrible timing, right with the holidays coming up. Those families will never enjoy this time of year again.

Deaths of children, especially violent deaths, the families of the victims should have privacy at this time.

I have not seen or heard any of this, as I no longer have a television. The world is a violent place. And this type of random violence is the worst. No one anticipates this type of tragedy in their neighborhood school. And the children who were not killed, were also affected by this. School should feel like a safe place, predictable and secure.

I wonder about the security of that school, where I used to teach, it was almost like a lock down prison unit, one main door, by the office. You had to go to the main office, then you were "buzzed" into the school, after an ID check. The school was in a bad area, and lots of crime. Maybe more schools need to go to that model. And the office receptionist was behind shatterproof glass.

I have heard the shooter was mentally ill? Great. Same as so many shooters...that is the problem, how to identify these people before they hurt others.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:16 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,270,013 times
Watching this unfold, from up here in Canada, my first reactions was ....Here we go again.

This has to stop, but how can a country that is so in love with guns, make it change ?

I served for 30 years in the Canadian Forces, as a military Police investigator, and I was armed every day that I was on duty. Having said that, I never felt the need to own any guns, and never have had any in my home. Most Canadians look at the horrible mass shooting record in the USA and shudder, at the pure insanity of it.

A quick Google search shows that about one hundred thousand Americans a year are shot, and about 30,000 of that number die, every year. IF that death toll was American military deaths , it would be the highest number that has ever been seen, since the Second World War. Think about that for a moment.

America is at war with it`s self. How else to explain the weekly death toll..........

Your society has so many good things about it, so much to admire, BUT this has to stop.

Those little kids did nothing wrong, neither did their Parents....... But the dead are still dead, and the living are forever changed by the actions of one nut, with guns. Irony of ironies, his Mother was killed by a gun that SHE bought. Why would a suburban woman need to have 2 hand guns, and a semi auto rifle, can you expain that to me.......

Does having MORE guns make a country safer.............No it doesn`t. If that was the case, the USA would be the safest country in the world. Which it obviously is NOT.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:02 PM
'M'

1,818 posts, read 2,613,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Very tragic!! My heart goes out to the parents especially. From a politically neutral point of view, I see this administration enacting or attempting to enact some sort or new legislation regarding firearms, their purchase, possession, etc. Again being politically neutral not playing to one side or another, just observing and predicting. Anyone else agree?
Even though I'm not a gun owner nor do I have any interest in guns, not certain that 'gun control' per se has anything to do with the true source of tragedies like Aurora, CO or Connecticut. My heart goes out to all who have been affected by these recent tragedies.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:27 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,434,710 times
The focus has tuned to guns, but wonder if the perp does indeed turn out as reported to have autism, if the practice of automatically mainstreaming autistic kids into standard classes will be examined.

So many fail to make real friends and social connections that continue outside of the school years.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:36 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,338,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Watching this unfold, from up here in Canada, my first reactions was ....Here we go again.

This has to stop, but how can a country that is so in love with guns, make it change ?

I served for 30 years in the Canadian Forces, as a military Police investigator, and I was armed every day that I was on duty. Having said that, I never felt the need to own any guns, and never have had any in my home. Most Canadians look at the horrible mass shooting record in the USA and shudder, at the pure insanity of it.

A quick Google search shows that about one hundred thousand Americans a year are shot, and about 30,000 of that number die, every year. IF that death toll was American military deaths , it would be the highest number that has ever been seen, since the Second World War. Think about that for a moment.

America is at war with it`s self. How else to explain the weekly death toll..........

Your society has so many good things about it, so much to admire, BUT this has to stop.

Those little kids did nothing wrong, neither did their Parents....... But the dead are still dead, and the living are forever changed by the actions of one nut, with guns. Irony of ironies, his Mother was killed by a gun that SHE bought. Why would a suburban woman need to have 2 hand guns, and a semi auto rifle, can you expain that to me.......

Does having MORE guns make a country safer.............No it doesn`t. If that was the case, the USA would be the safest country in the world. Which it obviously is NOT.

Jim B

Toronto.
It can't. We're not so different from Somalia and Pakistan. No one there can stop the killings either. We just love crippling our government more than life itself, especially if its the life of someone we don't even know.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:03 PM

929 posts, read 1,878,339 times
For me this is one of the worst of the long list of mass shootings, because it was at a school and such young children were involved. Though any loss of life due to these type of circumstances is very sad and hard to understand. I keep wondering... How could anyone do something so evil to so many innocent children?

My heart goes out for everyone... because this type of tragedy touches us all.

We have a big problem and we need to start to deal with it. We should have dealt with it sooner. Doing nothing is not an option.

The problem is two pronged... We need sensible gun and ammo control and we need improved methods to control the out of control mental health problem in this country. It won't be easy, but until we deal with these issues, these tragedy's will continue to mount. The guns that were purchased legally, should not be available to the general public, plain and simple. Every ammo purchase should be tracked. Will gun control prevent shootings? NO, but it will reduce the carnage that we see today. Continuing to keep our heads in the sand will guarantee us that we will keep getting what we got.

God bless everyone in Newtown. This tragedy should never have happened. Let's hope our leaders stand tall and start to do what should have been done many years before. Don't let these young victims die in vain.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:54 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
This would never have happened in Australia. I don't recall a single school shooting in our history. Face the facts, loonies exist everywhere but when they have access to weapons like that (who even needs them, are they gangsters??) it's not gonna end well. So tragic but so indicative of America's dark side.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:06 PM

6,981 posts, read 4,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
I would think there would be a myriad of reasons to hold back information at this time; there is still an ongoing investigation even though they know who the gunman was; perhaps they are determining, through this investigation, that this could have been prevented/mitigated --that someone else knew what could potentially happen and did nothing [I have no idea one way or the other] and if that is the case, that person needs to be held accountable for those actions and/or inactions.

Most significantly, I would also think that out of simple courtesy and respect and consideration to those families who have lost their little children and for the families who have lost their adult children, those brothers and sisters, grandchildren, nieces and nephews, perhaps they do not need to hear everything at this time.

As the police spokesperson said several times, please leave them alone, they are grieving and suffering. Right now perhaps is not the optimal time to have to hear more gruesome news/reasons = those families already know what happened, their children are dead and their lives are destroyed because of it.

What we all need to know right now is that we need, we all need to offer our support, our prayers and our caring -- and as a mom who lost a 3 1/2 year daughter years ago, I can say, with heartbreaking experience, that those families are numb, devastated, do not believe they will ever be able to laugh again or smile again, that they will find a day when they will not cry or wretch. They will but it will take a long time and they can learn the other details some other time, they do not need to know it today or tomorrow.
Great points SM. I think that one reason to 'withhold' any info is incase there's someone who would run and hide if they knew that they were being investigated. I didnt think of that part of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or