U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2012, 08:21 PM
 
6,981 posts, read 4,456,050 times
Reputation: 5141

Advertisements

I dont want to fully blame the media here, but when something like this happens, it becomes world famous news, the shooter gets his own wikipedia page, he goes down in infamy as someone who will be never forgotten in society. In other words, the shooter leaves his mark on society and with the boom of social media, internet and quick ways to get information to people gives info to other potential copycat shooters.

I was watching CNN yesterday and Anderson Cooper was saying he wasnt going to mention the shooter by name and then 5 seconds later, on the same channel, Piers Morgan plastered the guy's name in large graphics on the tv set and they had a discussion about this killer and his family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2012, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
5,147 posts, read 6,338,340 times
Reputation: 1561
When a perp kills himself, WHY does the media insist on mentioning his name (almost always a HIM)? A dead mass murderer deserves to vanish into a black hole of amnesia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2012, 12:24 AM
 
71 posts, read 65,352 times
Reputation: 70
22 children an one teacher were slashed the same day at a elementary school in China

Man slashes 22 children in China - The Irish Times - Fri, Dec 14, 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2012, 12:26 AM
 
71 posts, read 65,352 times
Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I dont want to fully blame the media here, but when something like this happens, it becomes world famous news, the shooter gets his own wikipedia page, he goes down in infamy as someone who will be never forgotten in society. In other words, the shooter leaves his mark on society and with the boom of social media, internet and quick ways to get information to people gives info to other potential copycat shooters.

I was watching CNN yesterday and Anderson Cooper was saying he wasnt going to mention the shooter by name and then 5 seconds later, on the same channel, Piers Morgan plastered the guy's name in large graphics on the tv set and they had a discussion about this killer and his family.
its always been this way. it becomes a historical event in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2012, 01:32 AM
 
Location: Minnesota
5,147 posts, read 6,338,340 times
Reputation: 1561
Well, just how often are the media helpful on any social problem? They are another out of control group hiding behind a guarantee of civil liberty. Frankly, they could own a snippet of responsibility too and are untouchable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2012, 01:56 AM
 
71 posts, read 65,352 times
Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Well, just how often are the media helpful on any social problem? They are another out of control group hiding behind a guarantee of civil liberty. Frankly, they could own a snippet of responsibility too and are untouchable.
i have not personally compiled a survey as of late nor am i aware of anyone else doing so.. The stations i watch are always providing helpful information for victims in time of crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2012, 04:37 AM
 
Location: Ostend,Belgium....
8,820 posts, read 6,363,322 times
Reputation: 4885
people are shocked at this and will be as a rule but wat gets done? nothing...what changed after Columbine? nothing!
the rest of the world is watching you, USA, and we're over here saying how if you never will change your attitude towards guns and the ownership of guns, things like these will continue to happen...I know most don't care what the rest of the world thinks and say it's none of our business but maybe more need to die like that before you get it!? it's sad beyond words when the adults are that dense. Has Columbine taught you nothing? Did they die in vain over there?...you huddle and bury your dead but do nothing to prevent it from happening again! You should be demanding change!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2012, 06:08 AM
 
155 posts, read 202,087 times
Reputation: 36
Newtown school shooting story already being changed by the media to eliminate eyewitness reports of a second shooter

The initial reports said 2 shooters in military garb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2012, 06:28 AM
 
3,173 posts, read 3,075,534 times
Reputation: 3699
I know these things could not happen without a gun to do it with but the problem is, why do they want to shoot someone to begin with?
As a grandmother, I am starting to wonder how smart it is to let children spend so much time in the "electronic world". My little grandson is 2 1/2, his favorite toy is an Ipad! Since I babysit everyday, I very rarely let him have it because his whole personality seems to change. He goes into this world all by himself and doesn't want to be in real life. I only let him have it for 20 min a day and am always harping about it and my daughter agrees but my son in law thinks it is fine. He had the flu recently and we were all letting him play with it more, I don't like the way he acts when he has it a lot! They both noticed it too so thank goodness it will be brought out now only on special occasions.
I really think this electronic world is bad for children and could play a big part causing problems later in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2012, 06:49 AM
 
71 posts, read 65,352 times
Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
people are shocked at this and will be as a rule but wat gets done? nothing...what changed after Columbine? nothing!
the rest of the world is watching you, USA, and we're over here saying how if you never will change your attitude towards guns and the ownership of guns, things like these will continue to happen...I know most don't care what the rest of the world thinks and say it's none of our business but maybe more need to die like that before you get it!? it's sad beyond words when the adults are that dense. Has Columbine taught you nothing? Did they die in vain over there?...you huddle and bury your dead but do nothing to prevent it from happening again! You should be demanding change!
FYI its not just the USA that have had school massacres.

Top 10 Worst School Massacres - Listverse

on friday there was also a slashing of 22 children and one teacher in China . and guns were not used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top