Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 12:13 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times

Advertisements

I agree it's not just in the US that school massacres are happening. I was just talking about the US because of the recent deaths in CT...still, (did our news get it right?) there was use of a semi automatic? Why did the mother have 5 guns (if reports are true) in her house with a kid like that in her care? 20 or not, he obviously had problems...and who needs that many guns? Sure he could have gotten them someplace else and still done the deed, but why make it easy? And of course they can use knives or gas or whatnot to kill people but guns are quick and easy compared to other means.
I don't get why so many are fighting any type change ..you don't want health care, you don't want gun control, ...yet the country is going to hell in a handbasket...Your kids are dying, your people are taking their own lives because they can't afford a doctor..look at your problems, US, and do something!
And don't say anything else about the constitutional right to bear arms..that's from a few hundred years ago when things were different. There were no online games then, no rappers telling you to kill everyone. Even though we don't all turn into killers when we play games or hear rap, some do and that should be enough! I guess as long as it's not your kid, you don't really care. I'm just so mad at the silence and "ignore it" attitude...These kids and school employees did not have to die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 12:19 PM

It's in your hands, not the hands of congress, or the politicians...take charge of your kid's future and learn from other countries, instead of bashing those who "don't live there and who don't know what they're talking about"

Old 12-16-2012, 12:32 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,054 times
TY, Sarah.

The brief, enigmatic life of mass-murderer Adam Lanza - CBS News

Old 12-16-2012, 01:04 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
Something would change if all parents united and refused to be sidetracked till change happened. But even all parents will never unite to stop it. So how can anyone possibly hold out realistic hope? I say, you have kids? Do whatever you can to make THEM safe. Society isn't going to do anything.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:18 PM

71 posts, read 79,685 times
i don't want to get in trouble for derailing but another student was arrested this was in Oklahoma on Friday.

Oklahoma HS student arrested for plotting massacre - Salon.com

Old 12-16-2012, 01:27 PM

and then there are copycats...there are lots who hate things and people and see killing as the only way to get their message across.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:56 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Just a note, this thread is focused on the "crime", and criminal aspect of this massacre.

Any discussion of guns, and laws, controversy, should be directed to the numerous threads on this subject in the link below, thank you.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

Old 12-17-2012, 05:57 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Lee View Post
Check out the overall history of school shootings in the US:

List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It started as early as the 1700s.
There were 10 in the 1800s.
There were 21 from 1900 to 1930.
There were 12 in the 1940s alone.
The 1950s was busy with 19.
Things started to slow down in the 1960s with 12.
In the 1970s it was down to 5.
It was back up in the 1980s with 19 again.
The 1990s had 17.
Starting to decline again in 2000s being down to 12.
So far, 2010s have 6 that all happened in 2012.

As you can see, it isn't on the rise. It's pretty much been this way our entire lives except for the 1970s.

The US isn't the only country that has school shootings.

School shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I didn't check the list, but I'll bet that 99% of those shootings have things in common that we don't know exist in the Newtown murders. Things like a personal grudge against people in the school; a murderer with a criminal history, drug use, or serious mental health problems.

In this case, we know the killer couldn't have a grudge against 20 6-7 year olds. No history we know of re criminal activity or drugs. Whether he had mental problems we don't know for sure. If he did, there was no apparent indication violence was part of his issue.

I'm sure you and others who point out that shootings at schools aren't on the rise are simply providing info. However, lumping suicides, one student killing another, a guy killing his teacher wife at school, in with Newtown is more misleading than informative.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:46 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Interesting list on school shootings. Does it coorelate to any event? Unemployment? Economic stress? Or is it all random and individualized?

Old 12-17-2012, 11:12 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times
I just saw an article about a relief fund for the parents of the child victims. I am confused why they would need financial relief?

I could understand if the adult victims with spouses and children who relied on their income needed financial assistance, and I can understand a low-income family needing some money for a funeral, but aside from that, I am not clear on why parents of a young child who died would need large amounts of financial assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime