U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-25-2012, 06:19 PM
 
7,112 posts, read 9,357,555 times
Reputation: 8162

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
Noun 1. serial killer - someone who murders more than three victims one at a time in a relatively short interval
Synonyms: serial murderer


Serial killing is defined by frequency and number of victims, not motive. That's why they are called SERIAL killers, not sex killers/thrill killers, although that is usually a common motive. How is a contract killer NOT a serial killer?

He may have killed a series of people, but he did it for pay. A contract killer doesn't kill anyone if he stops getting paid. A serial killer does it because he feels he has to, and he chooses sexually attractive targets -- which is why the gay ones kill males and the staright ones females. A contract killer kills anyone he's paid to kill, without passion or prejudice.

I got that definition straight from the lips of FBI profiler Robert Ressler, by the way.

 
Old 12-25-2012, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Australia
1,058 posts, read 1,450,641 times
Reputation: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
He may have killed a series of people, but he did it for pay. A contract killer is a lot more likely to feel remorse, but he is unlikely to have the sexual motive that a Jeff Dahmer or Ted Bundy has.

I got that definition straight from the lips of FBI profiler Robert Ressler, by the way.
A contract killer is still a serial killer. End of story.
 
Old 12-25-2012, 11:25 PM
 
Location: Dublin, CA
3,813 posts, read 3,661,019 times
Reputation: 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Semantics. Not worth worrying about, Abby. The net effect is the same.

Some kill for bloodlust and some kill for the love of money. The contract killers are just easier to understand because we understand the motive.
Absolutely correct. The problem with most people is psychological. The average person always is looking for "motive." There must be SOMETHING this person was looking for, and/or going to get for committing the crime. They always want to put a name, face, etc to the crime when many infamous crimes are not solved.

People just cannot understand and/or "wrap their heads around" the fact there are just bad people in this world, who do bad things, including murder, "just because." "I killed, just because." No reason. No rhyme. No love of money, sex, power, et al. Just to commit murder, because I want too.

They aren't psychopath's, sociopaths (of course, they are the something), they don't have borderline personalities, etc. They just kill for killings sake. For the normal person, they cannot accept this and MUST put some sort of title on the killer, to justify things. Otherwise, THEY fall apart and since THEY are normal, there must be something abnormal in the killers makeup.

Its just not always the case...
 
Old 12-28-2012, 12:56 PM
 
7,112 posts, read 9,357,555 times
Reputation: 8162
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
A contract killer is still a serial killer. End of story.

If you say so, Stabby. Let me know the title of the last book you picked up about a serial killer who turned out to be a Mob enforcer. Let me know the last three of those titles, in fact.
 
Old 12-29-2012, 07:02 AM
 
Location: US
5,144 posts, read 10,864,278 times
Reputation: 5341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
* in modern times. There've been others in the past like Elizabeth Bathory.

This is quoted from the documentary 'Born Killer'.

While I understand why female serial killers are rare, I actually find it sort of surprise how there are basically no or very few (I'm sure there are at least SOME, though) female serial killers apart from those who poison, or otherwise kill patients. Do you think it's because women just don't have that predatory instinct? Or those who do are sort of more cowardly? I mean in terms of getting a thrill out of something I'd think killing defenceless old people or children is pretty pathetic. If you're that way inclined.

Is anyone else surprised they're THAT rare though?

There was a report in the news about how two teenage girls killed another girl, bashed her head in with a rock, so it's clear females certainly ARE capable of acts of brutality, it just seems methodical serial killers or mass murderers are so rare, BUT there are the ones who do it under the cloak of being a nurse of something, so it shows that there definitely are homicidal psychopaths that are women. The question is, why don't more do it more violently? Cowardice, opportunity, preference?
Well if you look at the methods of suicide and plain old murder in the sexes you will see a similar path. Although the brains of males and females do differ in impulse control that is changing. Under examination they are finding that criminal females minds chemically and organically are acting/being more like a male mind. So they are evoliving to adapt to a more violent environment.

The difference between the common female/male brain is that most women stop and think, apply less ego and less aggression/anger.

Less violence can also be linked to size of the person. A 120 lbs nurse may not be able to hold you down and go crazy on you. But she sure can stick you with something nasty. Purpose served.

It has really nothing to do with cowardice, unless you would say fear of being caught is a poor critical thinking skill an impulsive male may not apply to his process.

Opportunity applies to both genders. Working with whatever they have to achieve their objective.

Preference: See Kehler typology write ups for genders. There are different types in each gender.
 
Old 12-30-2012, 01:21 PM
 
7,112 posts, read 9,357,555 times
Reputation: 8162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Well if you look at the methods of suicide and plain old murder in the sexes you will see a similar path. Although the brains of males and females do differ in impulse control that is changing. Under examination they are finding that criminal females minds chemically and organically are acting/being more like a male mind. So they are evoliving to adapt to a more violent environment.

The difference between the common female/male brain is that most women stop and think, apply less ego and less aggression/anger.

Less violence can also be linked to size of the person. A 120 lbs nurse may not be able to hold you down and go crazy on you. But she sure can stick you with something nasty. Purpose served.

It has really nothing to do with cowardice, unless you would say fear of being caught is a poor critical thinking skill an impulsive male may not apply to his process.

Opportunity applies to both genders. Working with whatever they have to achieve their objective.

Preference: See Kehler typology write ups for genders. There are different types in each gender.

For the moment. But as sex roles blur and the society as a whole becomes mkore androgynous, we'll see more stay-at-home househusbands and more female swerial killers. It's not biology, it's the role you play in your life and what pressures & rewards those roles bring that change the behavior.
 
Old 01-04-2013, 01:54 PM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,085 posts, read 23,917,203 times
Reputation: 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post



They aren't psychopath's, sociopaths (of course, they are the something), they don't have borderline personalities, etc. They just kill for killings sake.

For the normal person, they cannot accept this and MUST put some sort of title on the killer, to justify things.

Its just not always the case...
They're not normal, yet not disordered, psychopathic or sociopathic and kill "just because" getting no satisfaction from the crime

Like you said, I have hard time wrapping my head around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top