U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2012, 07:50 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

* in modern times. There've been others in the past like Elizabeth Bathory.

This is quoted from the documentary 'Born Killer'.

While I understand why female serial killers are rare, I actually find it sort of surprise how there are basically no or very few (I'm sure there are at least SOME, though) female serial killers apart from those who poison, or otherwise kill patients. Do you think it's because women just don't have that predatory instinct? Or those who do are sort of more cowardly? I mean in terms of getting a thrill out of something I'd think killing defenceless old people or children is pretty pathetic. If you're that way inclined.

Is anyone else surprised they're THAT rare though?

There was a report in the news about how two teenage girls killed another girl, bashed her head in with a rock, so it's clear females certainly ARE capable of acts of brutality, it just seems methodical serial killers or mass murderers are so rare, BUT there are the ones who do it under the cloak of being a nurse of something, so it shows that there definitely are homicidal psychopaths that are women. The question is, why don't more do it more violently? Cowardice, opportunity, preference?

 
Old 12-15-2012, 09:20 PM
 
1,882 posts, read 2,841,143 times
Reputation: 3886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
* in modern times. There've been others in the past like Elizabeth Bathory.

This is quoted from the documentary 'Born Killer'.

While I understand why female serial killers are rare, I actually find it sort of surprise how there are basically no or very few (I'm sure there are at least SOME, though) female serial killers apart from those who poison, or otherwise kill patients. Do you think it's because women just don't have that predatory instinct? Or those who do are sort of more cowardly? I mean in terms of getting a thrill out of something I'd think killing defenceless old people or children is pretty pathetic. If you're that way inclined.

Is anyone else surprised they're THAT rare though?

There was a report in the news about how two teenage girls killed another girl, bashed her head in with a rock, so it's clear females certainly ARE capable of acts of brutality, it just seems methodical serial killers or mass murderers are so rare, BUT there are the ones who do it under the cloak of being a nurse of something, so it shows that there definitely are homicidal psychopaths that are women. The question is, why don't more do it more violently? Cowardice, opportunity, preference?
i definitely believe that chemically, we aren't build for violence. doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but testosterone definitely has a component of aggression. its simply more natural for men to be aggressive in that way. don't get me wrong, not bashing men, but its a statistical and biological fact.

there is a great quote from james ellroy's biography regarding women who kill. i wish i had that book in front of me, but i will paraphrase- he says men kill women who won't do as their told. men kill women because they got pregnant, didn't make dinner on time, complained when their men started molesting her children. women kill when they get fed up with being abused, when they are pushed into a corner. its overly simplistic but statistically, again, this is true. and it mirrors our biology.

women seem to murder most often for reasons of control. rarely is there a sexual component, its most often to control their environment which could translate into murdering their own family members to get them out of the way or get their money, murdering a rival, or even to save their own lives or those of their children etc. even women like myra hindley would probably not have killed anyone on their own, without their man taking the lead.

the thing about aileen wournos is that she was quite legitimately a product of her upbringing, which included getting pregnant at 12 or 13 and being thrown out of the house and having to sleep in the snow, and years of abuse at the hands of johns and her own family and even the police. her cynicism turned poisonous. i don't think she would have become a murderer had she been brought up in a loving family, like ted bundy, who would have killed no matter his upbringing. i think she WAS mentally ill, or at least had a personality disorder, which does not excuse her crimes however. most of her victims were probably not trying to harm her, but she got used to killing. probably even got to like it, as it gave her a kind of twisted power, which she certainly had none of in any form pretty much most of her life. it would be more interesting for me to see a female killer of her type that WASN'T abused, because then you have someone who couldn't be said to have been driven to kill. it would be much more of an anomaly than it already is with wournos.
 
Old 12-17-2012, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Australia
1,058 posts, read 1,449,416 times
Reputation: 1695
I truly believe that male and female brains are "wired" differently.

Female killers usually kill in sneaky, "passive" ways: smothering, drowning, poisoning, "Locked in a Hot Car Syndrome" etc. These are easier to pass off as accidental deaths.

Male killers usually kill in very obvious, violent ways: stabbing, strangling, decapitation, torture, beating...there is no way anyone with a brain could believe that these deaths WEREN'T murders.

I believe the reason why you don't hear about female serial killers often is because female serial killers are stealthier.
 
Old 12-17-2012, 12:20 PM
 
7,112 posts, read 9,346,238 times
Reputation: 8162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
* in modern times. There've been others in the past like Elizabeth Bathory.

This is quoted from the documentary 'Born Killer'.

While I understand why female serial killers are rare, I actually find it sort of surprise how there are basically no or very few (I'm sure there are at least SOME, though) female serial killers apart from those who poison, or otherwise kill patients. Do you think it's because women just don't have that predatory instinct? Or those who do are sort of more cowardly? I mean in terms of getting a thrill out of something I'd think killing defenceless old people or children is pretty pathetic. If you're that way inclined.

Is anyone else surprised they're THAT rare though?

There was a report in the news about how two teenage girls killed another girl, bashed her head in with a rock, so it's clear females certainly ARE capable of acts of brutality, it just seems methodical serial killers or mass murderers are so rare, BUT there are the ones who do it under the cloak of being a nurse of something, so it shows that there definitely are homicidal psychopaths that are women. The question is, why don't more do it more violently? Cowardice, opportunity, preference?
I disagree that Aileen Wuornos was a serial killer at all. In order to get right with God before her execution, she said on the stand that she only killed the guys to keep them from reporting her to the police for robbing them. Serial killers are creational sex killers, so Erzebet Bathory would qualify and Jane Toppan; they both got a sexual charge out of killing someone. I always sort of wondered if nurse killers are in a category of their own, but it could be exactly the same kind of cheap power rush a male serial killer gets from strangling a hooker.
 
Old 12-17-2012, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Australia
1,058 posts, read 1,449,416 times
Reputation: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Serial killers are creational sex killers
Why do you say that? A serial killer is generally defined as a person/s who kills at least 3 people spaced apart within a period of time. Sex isn't always the motive. Look at Richard Kuklinski - contract killer. He killed for money only.
 
Old 12-17-2012, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,093 posts, read 5,897,864 times
Reputation: 30347
Maybe so...

In my home state of NC, there were several women killers when I lived there.

Velma Barfield...I think she was the first woman to be executed in NC.

There was also Blanche Taylor aka Black Widow Spider...who poisoned several husbands to death as well as maiming a finance from poisoning. She even poisoned the last guy when he was in the hospital....her favorite was placing poison (I think it was arsenic) in applesauce.


Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
I truly believe that male and female brains are "wired" differently.

Female killers usually kill in sneaky, "passive" ways: smothering, drowning, poisoning, "Locked in a Hot Car Syndrome" etc. These are easier to pass off as accidental deaths.

Male killers usually kill in very obvious, violent ways: stabbing, strangling, decapitation, torture, beating...there is no way anyone with a brain could believe that these deaths WEREN'T murders.

I believe the reason why you don't hear about female serial killers often is because female serial killers are stealthier.

Last edited by greatblueheron; 12-17-2012 at 01:58 PM..
 
Old 12-17-2012, 06:07 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
I truly believe that male and female brains are "wired" differently.

Female killers usually kill in sneaky, "passive" ways: smothering, drowning, poisoning, "Locked in a Hot Car Syndrome" etc. These are easier to pass off as accidental deaths.

Male killers usually kill in very obvious, violent ways: stabbing, strangling, decapitation, torture, beating...there is no way anyone with a brain could believe that these deaths WEREN'T murders.

I believe the reason why you don't hear about female serial killers often is because female serial killers are stealthier.
Yes that's the thing. I wonder if there's just a male fascination with more gruesome ways of execution too...I mean i think those female serial killers were just as cold blooded, but it just seems like poisoning and stuff is a less 'satisfying way' (yes it's perverse to think about but put yourself in their mind for awhile) of getting your kicks. There's obviously the psychology of the power to take life, which some women seem to have. Some women do seem truly sadistic, so I'm sure they tortured some of their helpless victims. Of course, the obvious is that they were simply more afraid of getting caught.etc. But I just find it odd that, since women do display gruesomely aggressive behaviour (like the example of the two girls I mentioned) that there have been so few female serial killers who have used guns, strangling.etc. Guns definitely cancel out any strength advantage males have, and it seems a lot less common for female serial killers to kill for sexual motives. Someone mentioned Bathory in that category who liked to take baths in the blood of her victims because she thought it would make her younger (I only just realised the 'bath' coincidence in her name). I think she was just deluded, it wasn't sexual in nature.
 
Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 PM
 
18,852 posts, read 31,713,141 times
Reputation: 26118
CrimeLibrary.com/Notorious Murders/Women Who Kill

Creepy. I have met a few women who were in prison for murder. One blamed her crime on being bi polar, and not having medication. Most blame men, or being abused as to the reason they are in prison for murder. One woman killed her Father for money, and her Mother.

I think there are more female serial killers, not identified, because investigators minds do not automatically think of women as perpetrators of violent crime.
 
Old 12-17-2012, 07:22 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
CrimeLibrary.com/Notorious Murders/Women Who Kill

Creepy. I have met a few women who were in prison for murder. One blamed her crime on being bi polar, and not having medication. Most blame men, or being abused as to the reason they are in prison for murder. One woman killed her Father for money, and her Mother.

I think there are more female serial killers, not identified, because investigators minds do not automatically think of women as perpetrators of violent crime.
Yes, that could be it. I wonder if there've been any cases of female mass killers? There was Brenda Anne Spencer, but she only managed to kill 2, I'm sure there must be more.
 
Old 12-17-2012, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Astoria, NY
3,053 posts, read 3,597,414 times
Reputation: 2475
Well, if you look at most women locked up in federal prisons, men were involved in some respect.


Aileen Wournos killed some dudes after a long history of rape and physical abuse. Sounds like most women in prison.


I do believe the male brain is wired more for sociopathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top