U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:03 PM

3,364 posts, read 2,703,258 times

Advertisements

Any news on this? Have the results come back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 07:35 AM

2,646 posts, read 4,066,834 times
The Walker murders were just horrific. It would be wonderful if there was some conclusion to this terrible crime. Personally I don't think it was Smith and Hickock. Christine Walker was the focus of this murderer. She was raped and murdered first. Smith was disgusted by anyone raping a woman. He stopped Hickock raping Nancy Clutter.

Smith and Hickock were motivated by greed. The Walker family were poor and I think the children were murdered because the person was someone known to the family.

I think the dna will be negative to Smith and Hickock.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,176 times
Tampa Bay Times story on the Walker murders: Trail heats up in Sarasota killings linked to 'Cold Blood' case | Tampa Bay Times

Old 05-22-2013, 06:18 AM

2,646 posts, read 4,066,834 times
Thanks for posting cherie181. I'm very interested in the results and hope we get to know what they are soon. I really think the person who killed the Walker family was fixated on Christine. These were the items taken from the house; a carton of cigarettes, a pocketknife, Cliff and Christine’s marriage certificate, and Christine’s high-school majorette uniform.

Why would Hickock and Smith take the marriage certificate and uniform? Also why kill the children who were only babies? It really smacks of a very personal crime to me.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:28 AM

3,481 posts, read 5,108,091 times
Always had a theory on the title of the book In Cold Blood.... The title of the book is not about the killing the family in Cold Blood, but Capote getting revenge on Smith for rejecting his advances or ending their relationship. Capote was a open gay man which in that time was very rare, Smith was gay but wouldn't admit it due to the image it carried at that time. After reading the book and a couple of other books on the book itself and the murders, I believe Capote fell in love with Smith, thought he could help him, maybe spare him from death row. Something went bad in the relationship before the appeal process, Capote publishes the book, which screws Smith and Hickock as they confess in the book to the killings. Ultimate revenge in Cold Blood... When he goes to the execution, Capote makes several remarks indicating he is still in love with Smith, but at the same time feels wronged by him.

Their relationship is a huge underlying plot of the whole book...

Old 05-23-2013, 05:41 PM

21,458 posts, read 14,377,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I think they were in Mexico, but the details of when and for how long didn't make it into the book. And even Capote knew mainly what two criminals told him, so he was not in the best position to know.
Capote never took notes. He talked and asked questions, then wrote it all down later from memory. he claimed to have perfect recollection. Of course many things were left out or were wrong in his book. That's why he always was careful to call it a novel. By doing this, he was also allowed to make up entire conversations, add scenes that never existed, or left out others that did. He could ascribe motivations that were not true, or ignore those that were.

Capote may have other reasons of obfuscation as well. As Bellhead mentioned, it was widely rumored that he fell in love with Perry Smith, and his portrayal of Smith in his book was very curious; he tried to make Perry the decisive one of the pair, but whenever sex was mentioned in the book, Perry suddenly became a prim granny who disapproved of his partner's debauched carryings-on.

Other accounts of the Smith-Hickock relationship have all the dominance going to Hickock. Dick not only came up with the crime, he made all the decisions while the two were together. Prison accounts have Perry Smith as being gay and submissive and Hickock as being dominant and bi-sexual only because of being in prison. After they were released, Hickock went back to his hetero ways, and Smith is believed to be both possessive and jealous. When Hickock made it obvious he intended to rape the family's teen daughter, Capote's portrayal of Smith gets really strange- Smith kills her so she wouldn't be violated by Dick the villain. What's much more likely is Smith was filled with jealous rage. He never wanted to compete with any of Hickock's women, ever.

Capote was not going to allow his darling to look like that.

For a fact, Truman Capote did not flinch when he watched Dick Hickock stoically meet his fate. But 20 minutes later, Perry Smith kicked, struggled, and wept and screamed all the way up the gallows steps, and Capote could not bear that. He walked away as far as he could get and turned his back, sobbing, when Smith swung.

As they say, there's no love like unrequited love. Capote changed deeply as the years went by and the book finally reached it's ending, and Capote was never able to write again. He had met and lost the only love of his life through his own doing.

Last edited by banjomike; 05-23-2013 at 05:50 PM..

Old 05-26-2013, 12:04 PM

10,133 posts, read 12,385,819 times
I never saw this before

Perry Edward Smith | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers

Quote:
Nye than asked him where else he and Smith had been over the six weeks between the disappointing trip to Ft. Scott and the time he was arrested. "'Wow!' he said, and then summoning his talent, for something like total recall, he began an account of the long ride the approximately ten-thousand miles he and Smith had covered (naming) a chorus of entwining names," writes author Truman Capote. "Apache, El Paso, Corpus Christ, Santillo, San Luis Potosi, Acapulco, San Diego, Dallas, Omaha, Sweetwater, Stillman, Tenville Junction, Tallahassee...And when he finished he sat with folded arms and a pleased smile, as though waiting to be commended for the humor, the clarity, and the candor of his traveler's tail."
I don't know how I missed it but I had no idea the two boys traveled as much as they did and they did visit Florida.

That's 1,666 miles per week for 238 miles per day on average. That is a lot of traveling when it was all by car/bus before the days of widespread Interstate highways. Back then averaging 50 mph would have been doing great which left them nearly 5 hours per day together traveling.

I always thought they murdered the Clutter's, went to Kansas City, traveled to Mexico then got nailed in Las Vegas.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:04 AM

260 posts, read 798,465 times
UPDATE: Walker murders DNA testing inconclusive, so far | HeraldTribune.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or