U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:19 PM

1,093 posts, read 2,285,200 times

Advertisements

Someone they didn't know was soliciting donations in Noah's memory, claiming that they'd send any cards, packages and money collected to his parents and siblings. An official-looking website had been set up, with Noah's name as the address, even including petitions on gun control.

Connecticut School Shooting: Amid Newtown tragedy, scam artists creep in, report says - Crimesider - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 08:35 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,875,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Someone they didn't know was soliciting donations in Noah's memory, claiming that they'd send any cards, packages and money collected to his parents and siblings. An official-looking website had been set up, with Noah's name as the address, even including petitions on gun control.

Connecticut School Shooting: Amid Newtown tragedy, scam artists creep in, report says - Crimesider - CBS News
As long as there is "a sucker born every minute" this kind of stuff will happen. There is evil out there and even more that believe everything that is said.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:53 PM

13,612 posts, read 10,344,516 times
Revolting, and bad karma as well.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:21 PM

139 posts, read 137,324 times
Sadly some chairity events are faux. So many people promoting partys for sandy storm and they claimed the money was for the victims and they never got it......... same with this ...... it happens in NYC a lot

Old 12-21-2012, 12:57 AM

6,981 posts, read 4,474,112 times
If you are going to give to a charity, its important to do due diligence on where you are sending your money.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:09 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,469,997 times
I listened/watched Anderson Cooper last night and he 'strongly' mentioned this and it is outrageous and disgusting -- sure, there are people who, unfortunately get taken in, yet it is so incomprehensible that someone/people would do such a scam, why would someone think they were being taken -- it is criminal, both "criminal wise" and criminal, moral/ethical and society wise. How come these people rarely, if ever get caught and/or rarely, if ever, get prosecuted.

Awful.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
I listened/watched Anderson Cooper last night and he 'strongly' mentioned this and it is outrageous and disgusting -- sure, there are people who, unfortunately get taken in, yet it is so incomprehensible that someone/people would do such a scam, why would someone think they were being taken -- it is criminal, both "criminal wise" and criminal, moral/ethical and society wise. How come these people rarely, if ever get caught and/or rarely, if ever, get prosecuted.

Awful.
I think if they're breaking actual laws, they could get prosecuted. If they're breaking moral laws, maybe not so much. I didnt read up on this, did they break some kind of actual law?

Old 12-22-2012, 08:00 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,469,997 times
I don't know - trying to find more information about it - I would certainly think it would be theft and fraud - but I am a real estate broker, not a defense lawyer or prosecutor [although lots of times, I wish I were a prosecutor]

Old 12-22-2012, 08:22 AM

13,612 posts, read 10,344,516 times
Quote:
I don't know - trying to find more information about it - I would certainly think it would be theft and fraud - but I am a real estate broker, not a defense lawyer or prosecutor [although lots of times, I wish I were a prosecutor]
Well, at least we all get to play one on here.

I wonder is some creative attorney could nail them on copyright infringement for using the images of the children without the permission of the families or news sources where the images were hosted?

I think fraud could be difficult to prove if the scammers sent even one dollar to the families. There have been cases of so-called legitimate charities where about thirteen cents out of every ten bucks raised actually made it to the intended recipients. The rest was "expenses."

Old 12-22-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
But its not theft because the people giving the money are doing it on their own, they are volunteering money.

If you find out more info, keep us posted, i'd like to know myself if what they're doing is illegal in some way, or, its just immoral and not really illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or