U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:58 PM

142 posts, read 212,481 times

Advertisements

o adoptive father pleads guilty to child rape
http://news.yahoo.com/ohio-adoptive-father-pleads-guilty-child-rape-195228108.html

I say: This is not the best reason to adopt.

And the reason mothers are told to give up their babies for adoption is to give the baby "a better life". These children didn't get a better life, they got raped.

How about better screening for people wanting to adopt?

Last edited by jasper12; 12-21-2012 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 11:51 PM

910 posts, read 1,888,746 times
I went and read the article and I agree with you that it is adoption related, maybe not in the sense of offering help, advice, etc.

That was indeed a horrible thing, 3 little lives now damaged! I thought adopting wasn't all that easy and that a background check is required. Of course, if the person doesn't have a record yet that is no good, but perhaps better references and a psychological evaluation should be required. That man is getting what's coming to him and I will pray for those children. What you said doesn't quite apply in this case because older children usually come from abusive homes or are grossly neglected, and most babies usually find loving couples that had been wanting a child for a long time, so giving a child for adoption is still the best choice considering the other option would probably be abortion or a life of neglect or even abuse that would put them in the system anyway.

Last edited by jasper12; 12-21-2012 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 12-21-2012, 12:35 AM

7,250 posts, read 12,698,539 times
Taulery, here you are again, acting as if all kids who are adopted go through the horrendous things that article described.

My sister who was adopted OUT had a MUCH better, more secure (emotionally & financially), happier life than those of us who stayed. From everything I've read, her story is much more the norm than the exception. So just stop it with your ridiculous anti-adoption crusade.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:45 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,295,367 times
I admit that I haven't read your link, I'd find it too upsetting.
I can tell you that as someone who has adopted, the background checks are as thorough as they can be. But, if you have no criminal record (i.e. haven't gotten caught yet) there would be nothing telling an agency that a prospective adoptive parent should not be allowed to adopt.
It breaks my heart when any child is raped/killed whether it be from a bio parent or adopted. In any case the 'parent' should be incarcerated for life. Like they say about drunk drivers - for everytime they were caught they drove drunk five times more. How many other children did this PoS do this to before he was caught? Ugh. Sickening.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:16 AM

7,112 posts, read 9,361,016 times
Adoptive parents get screened to a fare-thee-well. Unless they go through some fly-by-night Brand X adoption agency, they not only get screened, they get followed by a caseworker to make sure nothing goes wrong, for a good year.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:11 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,756,753 times
It is a crime issue. Birth parents rape and abuse their own children. Sad but true.

We may see more about horrific circumstances in adoption, for the "shock" value of media.

No news in writing about the many happy outcomes of adoptive families. I know many adoptive Dads, who were great men, with fantastic character, and loved children. Why write about them?

Old 12-21-2012, 12:47 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,158,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taulery View Post
Well, this most certainly is an Adoption topic, but moderator on the Adoption Forum suggested to post it here:

Ohio adoptive father pleads guilty to child rape
http://news.yahoo.com/ohio-adoptive-father-pleads-guilty-child-rape-195228108.html

I say: This is not the best reason to adopt.

And the reason mothers are told to give up their babies for adoption is to give the baby "a better life". These children didn't get a better life, they got raped.

How about better screening for people wanting to adopt?

Child rape happens among non-adopted children, too -- which is why this isn't an *Adoption* topic.

Dad rapes girl for years ...

Parents arrested after raping 1-month-old child to death

Mother who raped daughter sent to prison for life

How about better screening for people wanting to bear children?

Old 12-21-2012, 12:50 PM

7,495 posts, read 9,777,320 times
That is absolutely disgusting. Me thinks the sentence not enough.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:57 PM

13,612 posts, read 10,320,617 times
You know, this country has got to wake up about sexual crimes. I know it's worse in parts of the world, but honestly, can you think of a more humiliating, demoralizing thing to do to another human being? The language I want to use is not permitted here, so let's just say that if I was in charge, sex crimes would be treated differently.

People get more time for stealing a car. It's disgusting. It's even worse when it's perpetrated on children.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:38 PM

142 posts, read 212,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Child rape happens among non-adopted children, too -- which is why this isn't an *Adoption* topic.

Dad rapes girl for years ...

Parents arrested after raping 1-month-old child to death

Mother who raped daughter sent to prison for life

How about better screening for people wanting to bear children?
Sure, I know. Fair enough. After I thought about this post, I remembered that a friend of mine was raped by her father when we were kids. Strange, when we ran into each other after college, she said her father taught her to be strong. Her answer made no sense to me. Didn't she report him? No charges filed? He got off scott free.

And to karen in nh --- I've been in adoption reform longer than you have been alive, dearie. Go read the books I posted and learn yurself an education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or