Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 04:00 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think we are disagreeing. I Kuklinski, the Ice Man, was not 'employed' by the mob. He was a free lance, did work for them, but enjoyed his work and was efficient and would also kill people who were not targeted by the mob.

There is an entire underworld of government intrigue that goes on and we, the public, barely scratch the surface of knowledge of that. The reason why Markov and Litvinenko are known to us is the unique method and it being obvious that they were after were the ex KGB guy who must have had many secrets to share.
For Kuklinski, I think all the "hired" killing was done for the mob however - sanctioned murders for the Gambinio crime family. Even his work - loansharking, was done for the mob.
When he was in jail he seemed to thrive on the notierety and it appears he made up murders that he never committed - Jimmy Hoffa for instance.

For the world of spying - again most of it is James Bond-type fiction. Markov wasn't a spy, but a defector. Litvinenko wasn't really a spy either, but also a defector with some secrets. To Russia, those targets are fair game, the same way that terrorists are fair game for our drone attacks. But spy vs. spy is just the stuff of fiction, one of the reasons being that a typical intellegence agents job is no more exciting then an analyst (and that is essentially what they are) - looking at computer screens all day in an office at Langley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 04:21 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
For Kuklinski, I think all the "hired" killing was done for the mob however - sanctioned murders for the Gambinio crime family. Even his work - loansharking, was done for the mob.
When he was in jail he seemed to thrive on the notierety and it appears he made up murders that he never committed - Jimmy Hoffa for instance.

For the world of spying - again most of it is James Bond-type fiction. Markov wasn't a spy, but a defector. Litvinenko wasn't really a spy either, but also a defector with some secrets. To Russia, those targets are fair game, the same way that terrorists are fair game for our drone attacks. But spy vs. spy is just the stuff of fiction, one of the reasons being that a typical intellegence agents job is no more exciting then an analyst (and that is essentially what they are) - looking at computer screens all day in an office at Langley.
Okay. Maybe I misunderstood. What I am saying is that there are people who hit others and they are not all for the mob nor are they just all neighborhood druggies and degenerates. I would think, for someone who knows what they are doing the results can be undetectable. Governments also do this, including ours. God knows, we even had a Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff who was advising false flag hits on Americans. This is random and on innocent civilians! You don't have this type of thing happening unless other, perceived as more deserved, similar operations have been carried out.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:06 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
they are mercenaries for hire. If you are in trouble and if you know where to look, you too can find and hire them to "take care" of your problem.

Signed,
"The A Team"

Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
I don't know how a 'hit man' obtains his clientele ... I assume word of mouth. I do know should I ever try to hire a 'hit man' it would end up being an undercover cop taping and videoing everything I said and I would end up sharing a cell with Big Bertha in prison.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:27 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
My favorite "hitman" case is the DeMeo Crew:

Roy DeMeo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Imagine a mafia crew that specialized in auto theft and contract murder, and could only be described as serial killers. Check out "Murder Machine" by Gene Mustain and Jerry Capeci.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:34 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,618 times
professional contract killers now use a group of 3 or 4 or 5 men to do the hit and they are usually commando types that have been in the military and some have killed before so its nothing new to them. The idea of 1 person doing a hit with no one to cover for him etc. is to risky.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:24 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Murder, Inc. (or Murder Incorporated or the Brownsville Boys; known in syndicate circles as The Combination) was the name the press gave to organized crime groups in the 1930s through the 1940s that acted as the "enforcement arm" of the American Mafia and Jewish Mafia, the early organized crime groups in New York and elsewhere.[1] Originally headed by Louis "Lepke" Buchalter, and later by Albert "The Mad Hatter" Anastasia, Murder, Inc. was responsible for between 400 and 1,000 contract killings,[2] until the group was exposed in the early 1940s by informer and group member Abe "Kid Twist" Reles. In the trials that followed, many members were convicted and executed, and Abe Reles himself died after mysteriously falling out of a window. Thomas E. Dewey first came to prominence as a prosecutor of Murder, Inc. and other organized crime cases.[3]

Murder, Inc. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. (the whole article is fascinating.)

I have this book, Murder Inc.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:12 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
professional contract killers now use a group of 3 or 4 or 5 men to do the hit and they are usually commando types that have been in the military and some have killed before so its nothing new to them. The idea of 1 person doing a hit with no one to cover for him etc. is to risky.
Well, it would seem that the fewer people who know about it, the better. I would think one person, arranged through a middle man, who does not live in the area and has never been in contact with the contractor, would be ideal.

Do you ever wonder about mystery writers - how your mental 'atmosphere' must be if you dwell on these things frequently? They must view every little thing that happens on the news as possible material.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:32 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I think perhaps you watch to much TV.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:40 PM

174 posts, read 154,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
One famous contract killer was Charles Harrelson, father of actor Woody. He went to prison twice for hired murder. He got out of prison for the first one and then took a job to kill a federal judge. He died in prison a few years ago. Apparently he wasn't that great at covering his tracks, considering he was caught twice.
Interestingly, in the film No Country For Old Men Sheriff Bell makes reference to that killing with an offhand comment about the growing drug-fueled violence, something like "they [ie, Charles Harrelson and the drug dealer who hired him] even killed a federal judge up in San Antonio". And that line is taken from the book, not just put in for the film ... the cast of which includes Woody Harrelson (though his character isn't present in the scene which references the crime of his real-life father).

A curious intersection of the careers of father and son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime