Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 07:18 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,367 times

Advertisements

I've always been fascinated by contract killers. I searched and there doesn't seem to be a thread about them here so I thought I'd start a new one.

I wonder how they get started in the business. I've never had any real direct experience with contract killers (it would probably be fatal for me) so I'm just speculating.

How do they get jobs? Obviously they can't advertise, so I suppose they must have contacts in organised crime.

I wonder how they set their rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 07:47 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,322 times
Interesting thread - hmm, to add to your list of questions - do you think they have a conscience and/or are they just doing their jobs? I would think they acquire jobs by word of mouth, because, yes, I would think advertising is not optimal for them.

One reads about cases where they are warm and loving husbands and dads -- they simply work hard for their families, to provide just as any other husband/dad would do - do you think we are especially fascinated with their line of work as opposed to, say a shoemaker or an engineer? Do we sensationalize this profession and if so, why?

If you [meaning you and/or anyone else reading this thread] found out that your neighbor, better yet, your best friend was in fact a contract killer, would you report him [with the understanding there would be no reprisals of any sort on you] or leave it up to someone else to do?

Old 12-26-2012, 09:39 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
If you [meaning you and/or anyone else reading this thread] found out that your neighbor, better yet, your best friend was in fact a contract killer, would you report him [with the understanding there would be no reprisals of any sort on you] or leave it up to someone else to do?
A friend will help you move. A best friend will help you move.. a body

Old 12-26-2012, 10:38 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
A friend will help you move. A best friend will help you move.. a body
Nice quote...from a Las Vegas person no less...

Is there a lot of contract killing? I live in a fairly sheltered world, I guess. I do know, that if you caused trouble in certain areas, or neighborhoods, in Miami, it was not difficult to talk to people who "knew" people, to make sure that a message was delivered. This was not a "cost" issue, it was usually all run on favors, not money. But, favors are a gold standard in many areas.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:55 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
I've always been fascinated by contract killers. I searched and there doesn't seem to be a thread about them here so I thought I'd start a new one.

I wonder how they get started in the business. I've never had any real direct experience with contract killers (it would probably be fatal for me) so I'm just speculating.

How do they get jobs? Obviously they can't advertise, so I suppose they must have contacts in organised crime.

I wonder how they set their rates.
I don't know if it's still around, but people used to place ads in Soldier of Fortune magazine. Thinly veiled ads for a contract hit.

There used to be a biker bar here (long gone now) where rumor had it, you could get a hit for about five hundred bucks.

The latest we've had where I live that have hit the news were homeless people who worked cheap and through word of mouth. Pretty sad. The organized crime hitmen are a whole 'nother animal.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:31 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
One famous contract killer was Charles Harrelson, father of actor Woody. He went to prison twice for hired murder. He got out of prison for the first one and then took a job to kill a federal judge. He died in prison a few years ago. Apparently he wasn't that great at covering his tracks, considering he was caught twice.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:49 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
I would report them a lot easier than I could report people committing some other types of crimes.

Honestly, the notion of being a "contract killer" fills me with revulsion. Its a perversion of the very nature of human existence. The idea that one lives to kill or profits monetarily by killing people they don't even know.

Some people really are caught up in circumstances and IMO, factors like their age, the degree of intent they had ought to be considered before they either locked up for life or executed. However, someone involved in a business like "contract killing"? I could search my soul from top to bottom and be unable to find an ounce of sympathy or compassion for them.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:05 PM

I watched a show some years ago that had prison interviews with hit men who were serving time for what they did. It was a strange world--they could be friends with these people--who were also hit men--for years, and then kill them for money if they were hired to do so. The one guy said, "I'm not in prison for killing nice, innocent people. I'm in prison for murdering other murderers." Another weird perspective was when one of them (these were Mafia guys) was pointing out how their world is so much more honorable than the Colombians, who get revenge by killing an enemy's family, including children. The one guy told how there was a hit out on a man, and the killer caught up with him when he was in the car outside a supermarket. The victim's wife was in the front and his children in the back. The Mafia guy on the TV show said, "He walked up, put the gun behind the man's ear, and fired. Didn't touch his wife or kids". Like this demonstrated how much better their system is.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:09 PM

What about the people who hire the contract killers? I just watched a show on ID today (I'm home sick and watched crime shows all day long, lol) about people who are trying to hire killers but are really talking to undercover cops. The most bizarre was a grandmother who wanted her two granddaughters murdered. Her son was in jail, charged with molesting his own kids. The grandmother and grandfather wanted the granddaughters murdered so that there would be no one to testify against their son and he would be freed.

The cop said that was the one case that he still cannot get over.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:13 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Most of what you read is fiction, such as this concept of some sort of freelance operator that is open to the highest bidder via this vast underworld link of knowing. The subject of many movies.
However, organized crime (the mafia, etc) simply uses it's enlisted members/soldiers for killings, some get very proficient at it and so the leaders of this group may go to this person again and again when his services are needed. WHich makes sense - if they do a good job, you use him again.
The rest are just petty criminals and losers and drug abusers that will do anything for money - usually they make contacts in prison. And that becomes "a friend of a friend of a friend might kill this person for you". Those crimes are usually easily solved because they are committed by the desperate dregs of society, not the brightest bunch.
This is not to be confused with freelance military related operators and soldiers of fortune, which is really a different line of work (security, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime