U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 03:23 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,465,922 times

Advertisements

The Hindu : News / National : Delhi Police invoke murder charge against rape accused

Well, perhaps this is a small step forward..... minutely positive...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 07:42 PM

211 posts, read 251,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Still, no thanks on India, pass.
Oh no, Indians will be so disappointed

What's with the desperate need to brand an entire nation by the acts of a few? It's not like Adam Lanza or Erika Menendez represent all Americans. The "city bus" was not plying with passengers that night. It was being taken out on a joy ride by the driver and his goon friends.

Having said that, New Delhi is fast gaining a reputation of being the 'Rape Capital' of India. Pity it had to take such a gory incident for the government to sit up and take notice.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:00 PM

13,612 posts, read 10,305,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athithi View Post
Oh no, Indians will be so disappointed

What's with the desperate need to brand an entire nation by the acts of a few? It's not like Adam Lanza or Erika Menendez represent all Americans. The "city bus" was not plying with passengers that night. It was being taken out on a joy ride by the driver and his goon friends.

Having said that, New Delhi is fast gaining a reputation of being the 'Rape Capital' of India. Pity it had to take such a gory incident for the government to sit up and take notice.
Don't take it personally. No one thinks you are a rapist. The people of India have stood up for this woman and that's a good thing. Unfortunately, there is still a lot of violence against women in India, though much of it seems to be in the more rural areas where the people are less educated (I'm referring to young brides who are killed or abused by the husband's family, etc).

Any insight on why Delhi is experiencing the "rape capital of India" phenomenon?

Old 12-30-2012, 06:37 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,140,430 times
Quote:
Still, no thanks on India, pass.
The cultural acceptance of "Eve teasing" is something that has to change in the Indian sub-continent. It is viewed as harmless fun by many in society, but clearly it is not, and leads ultimately to such monstrous occurences as this travesty in new Delhi.

Still, please don't imagine that India is unsafe based on this awful tragedy.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 AM

13,612 posts, read 10,305,182 times
Aw, man they have had some similar cases recently. maybe the same six arseholes were responsible for the other attack mentioned. It said there were six guys.

India rape victim's body cremated in New Delhi - Yahoo! News

Old 12-30-2012, 12:10 PM

5,144 posts, read 10,855,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The cultural acceptance of "Eve teasing" is something that has to change in the Indian sub-continent. It is viewed as harmless fun by many in society, but clearly it is not, and leads ultimately to such monstrous occurences as this travesty in new Delhi.

Still, please don't imagine that India is unsafe based on this awful tragedy.
It needs to change everywhere. Its not really safe for anyone, anywhere. Safety is an illusion.
It will be interesting to see if any officials get cleared out for this.

And its going to take women to get it done apparently:

Saudi Gazette - West Bengal plans 65 all-women police stations

"The woman chief minister of India’s West Bengal state unveiled plans Friday for 65 all-female police stations, as authorities tried to assuage growing anger over a gang-rape in New Delhi."

Kinda sick it has to be taken to that level and creeps me out about the men that are in power there.

India needs to change a lot in general on this front. I could go into the sex trade they have there where they sell their own children because it is such a poor state of affairs to survive but that is another thread. Its not like here even in America we are immune to these things, or immune to them being ignored.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:18 PM

8,004 posts, read 10,044,748 times
Yes, I saw the whole story and it made me sick to my stomach. To think that people can stand by and let monsters do something like this. It is appalling.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:25 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,722,131 times
Take Back The Night ® | Shatter the Silence. Stop the Violence.

Get involved! This is a positive group to end the violence against women.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:03 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,349,377 times
Quote:
I did not read about this crime, just seeing the information, made me ill.

Those "socio-paths" that did this horrific crime, need to be publicly denounced, and some how, the entire culture needs to acknowledge, that if they continue to ignore this type of behavior, their entire society is compeltely degenerate.

Women are not safe any place, it seems like.

What is with men, who do this crime? Do they realize how completely depraved it is to act like this? No self control, or empathy for the victim, who in this case, DIED, from their heinous depravity.

Appalled.

And, I never want to EVER go to India!!!! That is for sure!!!!!
It happens here too, jasper12! The year I moved to Ann Arbor to start college there, a gang of frat boys was going around town gang-raping any man they spotted on the sidewalk who looked gay to them. But you're right -- we can't afford not to confront this kind of behavior. It's the only way to stop it.

This is NOT about individual sociopathy. Social status is everything, and I do mean everything, to our species. And one way of gaining status among males is having sex with a woman. Another way of gaining status is doing something edgy and daring in front of the guys. So that's where gang rapes, especially public gang rapes, come in. It would not have happened if even one of those men had stood up to the others and said "I'm not having anything to do with this ***** you guys, and if you keep talking about it I'm turning you in to the cops." But many men are waaaaaaay too chicken to do that.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:51 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,036,977 times
I swear we are going back to the cave man days**headshake****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime