U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 04:39 PM

7,106 posts, read 9,341,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athithi View Post
It's not like Adam Lanza or Erika Menendez represent all Americans.
Wait, when did he have a sex change!? I am so far behind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 03:06 AM

16,884 posts, read 13,029,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
This was a very horrible story. I've read a few stories on the crime, but I can't stomach another one, so I didn't click your link. (sorry) The only bright side is that the people of India are sick of the violence against women and actively protesting. The govt. is starting to pay attention and something may actually get done.

being a survivor of a gangrape, I feel bad for this woman and her family. I hope her rapists get the maximum punishment allowed for by the law in India.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:41 AM

13,612 posts, read 10,294,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
being a survivor of a gangrape, I feel bad for this woman and her family. I hope her rapists get the maximum punishment allowed for by the law in India.

I'm very glad you survived. You must be very brave to speak up (even on an anonymous forum like this) about such a thing. So many times, people blame the victims because they are terrified inside that something like that could happen to them. If it was somehow the victim's fault, then "It can't happen to me or my wife or daughter".

I too, hope those murderous thugs get the full penalty of the law in this case.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 16 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,831,402 times
I heard this on NPR news--truly horrble. I don't understand how humans can behave this way. It seem like "evil" takes over their bodies/minds and I'm not religious, but I wonder with crimes this henious. I can't just accept a psychological theory of whythese things happen. Send my prayers to the victim.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:28 PM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
I heard this on NPR news--truly horrble. I don't understand how humans can behave this way. It seem like "evil" takes over their bodies/minds and I'm not religious, but I wonder with crimes this henious. I can't just accept a psychological theory of whythese things happen. Send my prayers to the victim.
Somewhat different and a long time ago, but it was still horrible and it's fresh in my mind. I watched a show this weekend on the rise and fall of the Third Reich.

At the end, they talk about the rape of the German women in Berlin by the Russian soldiers. It's estimated that up to two million women and little girls were raped. Approximately ten percent of them died, most by suicide. I had not heard of this before, so I looked it up on the Internet and it was sickening. Their leaders back home backed them up saying these soldiers were lonely and had been away from home for so long that it could be expected that they would want the spoils of war and a "trifle" here and there, and one of the soldiers, who describe gang-raping a thirteen-year-old girl with ten other men said, "Well, there just weren't enough women left in Berlin to go around for everyone."

What kind of mentality IS this other than evil?

In more modern times...there are women in prison in Afghanistan because they were raped. Even though their rapist is also charged with a crime, the women are considered to have committed adultery by being raped, so they go to prison, too.

These kinds of things make me remember that old 1960's bumper sticker, "Stop the world, I want to get off."

Old 01-01-2013, 07:56 PM

211 posts, read 251,381 times
Quote:
Don't take it personally. No one thinks you are a rapist. The people of India have stood up for this woman and that's a good thing. Unfortunately, there is still a lot of violence against women in India, though much of it seems to be in the more rural areas where the people are less educated (I'm referring to young brides who are killed or abused by the husband's family, etc).

Any insight on why Delhi is experiencing the "rape capital of India" phenomenon?
I think it's largely due to the migrant population from rural areas of neighboring states who come in search of a livelihood. Unlike Mumbai, which is also largely a migrant city but has an entrepreneurial society, Delhi's economy is based on politics and enforced by strongmen. But that must just be the tip of the iceberg. The combination of sexual repression, economic inequalities, and broad gender-discrimination took the path of least resistance - vulnerable, young women - at the hands of criminally-inclined individuals who, at least up until now, have had the implicit backing of their political masters.

Damn, India is worse off than I'd like to believe

Old 01-01-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Wait, when did he have a sex change!? I am so far behind...
Erika Menendez is the woman who pushed a guy onto a subway track, killing him. She did it because apparently she hates "Hindus and Muslims who brought down the twin towers on 9/11"

Why on earth did you ask about "sex change"? These are two different people who committed two different crimes. I mean, English is my second language, but I didn't think I was that incomprehensible

Old 01-01-2013, 08:30 PM

16,884 posts, read 13,029,106 times
Quote:
I'm very glad you survived. You must be very brave to speak up (even on an anonymous forum like this) about such a thing. So many times, people blame the victims because they are terrified inside that something like that could happen to them. If it was somehow the victim's fault, then "It can't happen to me or my wife or daughter".

I too, hope those murderous thugs get the full penalty of the law in this case.

I blamed myself for the longest time. it took time and some therapy to get over alot of it. march 18th still holds as a day of fear for myself.
I do speak at some meetings, I also try and let women know that men can also be victims as well.

would have added more, but this is not the place nor the time to say such things. if you want to know more message me, I can talk about such things more openly now.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 PM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athithi View Post
Erika Menendez is the woman who pushed a guy onto a subway track, killing him. She did it because apparently she hates "Hindus and Muslims who brought down the twin towers on 9/11"

Why on earth did you ask about "sex change"? These are two different people who committed two different crimes. I mean, English is my second language, but I didn't think I was that incomprehensible
No, no, I think he was referring to Erik Menendez, who, with his brother Lyle, killed their parents about 20 years or so ago.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, no, I think he was referring to Erik Menendez, who, with his brother Lyle, killed their parents about 20 years or so ago.
Oh ok, makes sense Yes, I remember reading about that...probably on trutv.com crime library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime