U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 03:04 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,129,232 times

Advertisements

I just saw on the news that gun permit applications have gone through the roof for women in India.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 PM

13,612 posts, read 10,294,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I just saw on the news that gun permit applications have gone through the roof for women in India.
Good. Some of the smartest women I've ever met are Indian and they tend to also be very beautiful. The fact that they are treated like excrement has got to stop. A couple of would-be rapists get a 45 shell to the head, maybe the criminals will reconsider their intentions. Maybe not, but they wont be around to harm anyone else's daughter.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:15 PM

8,820 posts, read 6,361,885 times
Plus lots of women are taking martial arts classes. I think the fact they've been treated as second class citizens is deep rooted and is a shame. Maybe the next generation will get more respect because it'll take ages to get men to accept changes. I can't believe when I read what happened to this lady but when you hear of all those so called honor killings and things like that, it's almost like those countries are on a different planet. Or you wish they were on a different planet. I suppose the internet makes it so that we hear more of those things nowadays. It's horrible that some humans see this as acceptable behavior.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:09 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,974,037 times
To me this is a political issue. There is actually far more outrage in India than here in the USA over frequently occurring rapes/ murders. How many times have you read in the paper about a woman who was sexually assaulted and murdered? And yet stuff like that is still shown as entertainment on TV nearly every night. We don't have male rape depicted as entertainment on TV crime dramas all the time.

Or this case in Steubenville Ohio where football players sexually assaulted and posted pictures of a girl and many have turned on her. "The girl’s friends have ostracized her, and parents have kept their children away from her, the mother said." There are still an awful lot of unenlightened people, including those in the legal system.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/17/sp...nted=all&_r=2&

Last edited by ellemint; 01-02-2013 at 03:20 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 PM

5,278 posts, read 3,494,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Or this case in Steubenville Ohio where football players sexually assaulted and posted pictures of a girl and many have turned on her. "The girl’s friends have ostracized her, and parents have kept their children away from her, the mother said." There are still an awful lot of unenlightened people, including those in the legal system.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/17/sp...nted=all&_r=2&

You have several American sicknesses converging on this case. In addition to the violence against women, you have the ridiculous athlete-worship at work. Apparently, Anonymous is hard at work on this case. I'd hate to have them on my tail. Just ask Karl Rove. If they can prevent a presidential election from being stolen, they can certainly make life for the enablers of these vermin miserable.

Steubenville High School Students Joke About Rape In Video Leaked By Anonymous

Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,974,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
You have several American sicknesses converging on this case. In addition to the violence against women, you have the ridiculous athlete-worship at work. Apparently, Anonymous is hard at work on this case. I'd hate to have them on my tail. Just ask Karl Rove. If they can prevent a presidential election from being stolen, they can certainly make life for the enablers of these vermin miserable.

Steubenville High School Students Joke About Rape In Video Leaked By Anonymous
That video is sickening. What is wrong with young men? Who is raising these scum?

Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 PM

5,278 posts, read 3,494,636 times
Quote:
That video is sickening. What is wrong with young men? Who is raising these scum?
Yes, sometimes we can attribute much of the blame to parents, but there are other occasions in which normal parents raise destructive children.

How do we change our culture when many are resistant to changing barbaric behaviors and attitudes? Create a social penalty, if not a legal penalty, for these backwards, destructive attitudes and behaviors. Stigmatize and ostracize. It has worked, it does work.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 AM

10,129 posts, read 12,376,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Women are not safe any place, it seems like.
Singapore, where a woman can take a walk anytime anywhere in town. It's Disneyland with a hangman's noose where raping a woman never ends well for the rapist.

Quote:
What is with men, who do this crime? Do they realize how completely depraved it is to act like this? No self control, or empathy for the victim, who in this case, DIED, from their heinous depravity.

Appalled.

And, I never want to EVER go to India!!!! That is for sure!!!!!
As a normal man I can assure you it has nothing to do with sex or love.

As far as going to the human sewer that is India I could never understand the attraction.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:33 PM

12,887 posts, read 15,421,155 times
Quote:
Those were silly, ignorant young men ...it's worse when it's from someone like this...Fury as Indian guru blames Jyoti Singh Pandey for vicious gang attack which killed her | Mail Online

Old 01-07-2013, 08:57 PM

520 posts, read 501,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Singapore, where a woman can take a walk anytime anywhere in town. It's Disneyland with a hangman's noose where raping a woman never ends well for the rapist.

As a normal man I can assure you it has nothing to do with sex or love.

As far as going to the human sewer that is India I could never understand the attraction.
Those were truly disgusting pictures.

That said, I have often asked myself what a given person - you or I - would do if, by accident of birth, we were placed in that situation. Can one individual poor person effect a change? Do they even know enough to change anything? Or is this their normal, something they are unfazed by?

I have no answers, but I have to believe that a totally corrupt and selfish government has a lot to do with it, as does the caste system undoubtedly.

During my visit to Singapore, a tour guide explained to us that SIngapore was once a very filthy place with raw sewage all over the river. It took an iron hand to clean it up, and what a job they did!

To relate that back to the rape case, something tells me that this is not an instance of one set of "bad guys". This seems to happen a lot in India, and there has to be a far more systemic reason for it - maybe a whole lot of them. And many of them may be the same reasons that lead to those disgusting pictures you linked to.

The silver lining here is the huge unrest this has caused. Lets hope they keep up the pressure until the government realizes that nukes are less important that the general well-being of the country's citizens.

Last edited by Captain_Fingers; 01-07-2013 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime