Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 04:54 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,837,360 times

Advertisements

Woman set on fire in LA as she sleeps on bench - Yahoo! News

Despicable, just wrong, was this supposed to be some gang initiation? Who can we blame this one on the system? I just cannot see how a person with no motive, or external factor pushing him can do this. Can you be born this bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 05:27 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,821,243 times
Sadly, I am beginning to believe more and more that some people are simply born without a soul - without a conscience - and/if they have any bit of a conscience and they got into trouble before and nothing happened to them as far as punishment and/or accountability, then they learn quickly that they can beat anything or whatever they do is acceptable so they increase their risk, the danger and perhaps the thrill. And then clearly they have no conscience.

I think this is a societal, criminal, moral and ethical quandry where all components must work together to stop it.

There are no words to describe this - awful does not seem to suffice.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:04 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,016,792 times
Yep evil abounds everywhere and anywhere and it is disgusting what happened to this lady and people are growing more evil by the day . I will pray for her and those that did that for their eternal soul .

Old 12-29-2012, 07:41 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,265,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
Sadly, I am beginning to believe more and more that some people are simply born without a soul - without a conscience - and/if they have any bit of a conscience and they got into trouble before and nothing happened to them as far as punishment and/or accountability, then they learn quickly that they can beat anything or whatever they do is acceptable so they increase their risk, the danger and perhaps the thrill. And then clearly they have no conscience.

I think this is a societal, criminal, moral and ethical quandry where all components must work together to stop it.

And yes, you are FINELY getting it...

Old 12-29-2012, 09:07 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,077,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post

I just wish that we would reform the criminal justice system in some ways. Don't waste jail space on thieves (hard labor instead), and don't let violent offenders out- ever in some cases! That ass who killed those firefighters recently after setting his neighborhood ablaze had been convicted of killing his grandmother.

Why was he out?

Old 12-29-2012, 10:06 PM

14,377 posts, read 14,203,333 times
Quote:
I just wish that we would reform the criminal justice system in some ways. Don't waste jail space on thieves (hard labor instead), and don't let violent offenders out- ever in some cases! That ass who killed those firefighters recently after setting his neighborhood ablaze had been convicted of killing his grandmother.

Why was he out?
I'm speculating which is always a dangerous thing to do. I suspect he was convicted of something less than first degree murder. If this was the case, every state I know of provides for a term of less than life without parole as the penalty. In other words, the law probably mandated his release.

Its a terrible thing the guy kid, but its common when a past offender commits a second crime to wonder why he's out of prison in the first place. The simple answer is that if no one got parole, there'd be no room in the prisons at all.

Our country currently incarcerates about 1% of its population. That's a greater percentage than countries we think of as totalitarian states like China and Iran.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:07 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,836,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'm speculating which is always a dangerous thing to do. I suspect he was convicted of something less than first degree murder. If this was the case, every state I know of provides for a term of less than life without parole as the penalty. In other words, the law probably mandated his release.

Its a terrible thing the guy kid, but its common when a past offender commits a second crime to wonder why he's out of prison in the first place. The simple answer is that if no one got parole, there'd be no room in the prisons at all.

Our country currently incarcerates about 1% of its population. That's a greater percentage than countries we think of as totalitarian states like China and Iran.
But the vast majority of our prisoners aren't violent offenders. The war of drugs is what has filled our prison system past capacity. And because of this, we allow violent offenders who have actually killed back out because we don't have the beds for them.

Kill a fellow human for any other reason but self-defense, and that should be it. You're done. You've proven you're not fit to live in society. Get caught with some weed or even harder drugs? Some of those prisoners are serving longer sentences than people who bludgeoned someone to death. It's ridiculous and I say this as a person who hates drugs and has never touched one in my life (or alcohol)

Old 12-30-2012, 01:49 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,239,269 times
We have a really messed up justice system. They keep releasing sickos like the monster that killed those firefighters and look what happens. Once someone is arrested for a violent crime against another, they should never be let out. If they are going to release anyone, it should be the drug offenders, and people in jail for other non-violent offenses. Otherwise, things like this will keep happening all the time.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:11 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,077,256 times
^^ Agreed

Old 12-30-2012, 06:33 AM

14,377 posts, read 14,203,333 times
Quote:
We have a really messed up justice system. They keep releasing sickos like the monster that killed those firefighters and look what happens. Once someone is arrested for a violent crime against another, they should never be let out. If they are going to release anyone, it should be the drug offenders, and people in jail for other non-violent offenses. Otherwise, things like this will keep happening all the time.
Than all you need to do is convince your state legislature to rewrite the criminal code. Of course, while you ar at it, they are probably going to need to appropriate more money for prisons and the people who work inside them. This money has to come from somewhere, so there will either be a tax increase or we can take money out of areas like elementary and secondary education for children.

I'm not unsympathetic to what you say. Perhaps, some version of a "three strikes law" is necessary. Some people clearly shouldn't be getting out of prison, but be careful of what you say.

Stop and consider your words here. A "violent crime against another". If my wife gets angry at me and strikes me with her fist because I made a comment that upset her is that a "violent crime against another"? If I live in a trailer court and one of my neighbors verbally harasses me and I react my knocking him to the ground with my fists and he strikes his head is "that a violent crime against another" that should result in my incarceration for the rest of my life? What about two seventeen year old kids at high school who get into a fist fight? I could go on and on.

I don't think that's what you really mean. However, you have to understand in our society that we have written laws. Those laws have to interpreted and applied to each case. I often hear from people who don't like the results. However, that's how things work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime